Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Refresh your browser the sketch was put in as an edit and was probably not loaded when you viewed the post but I am adding it again just in case. The exposed cardboard will get wet from dropped mortar and disintegrate I would just stick with the ply unless the cardboard is under the ply.
    Chip

Comment

Hey David I did make the gide as you said. I took a 90 degree L bracket and drilled and taped it at 1.25" so it should be on center. Thanks chip. That was my plan to cut in to 3 parts. Thanks for all the help.

Randy

Comment

I appreciate the detail and the sketches from the group on several of these posts. Helpful as I begin the process of planning/building my own oven. Thanks!
        George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Randy, here is the link to Smith-Sharpe in NE Minneapolis.
          George

See my build album here.

Comment

I was just there yesterday. It is kinda hard though find but the people there were very nice and helpful. If I ever build another one I will get all my stuff from them. I look forward to seeing your build. It is not very far behind mine. Good luck and if you have any questions make sure to ask. Someone here can help.

Randy

Comment

Well I got a little more done this weekend. I got my insulation installed and got my floor put down. I am still trying to figure out how long of a tung I want sticking out for the oven opening. I think it needs to be 4.5 ". I tried doing 2.5and I did not think it looked right. So I might have to shrink the vent area a little from my first plan. This is one good thing about the fact I don't really like to make firm plans and draw things out. As I would not have thought about this and now would have to re plan.

Comment

My wife also asked me to make her pizza for mothers day. So I got out the grill and put in the pizza stone and made a few pizzas. It has been a while, like maby 6 months but got good results. I did pesto chicken and roster red pepper with fresh mozzarella and the other is what I call my Greek pizza it has olive oil garlic and herbal as the sauce and Kalamata olives, artichoke hart's, prosciutto, feta, parmesan, and fresh mozzarella. That is one of my favorites.

Randy

Comment

Randy, those cuts look great for the floor. How are you getting such nice curved cuts?
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

I think we are all eager to see you complete your oven. You are moving very fast. It looks great so far. You should have quite a bit of storage under that oven. I echo that of gastagg... (whistle) nice cuts!

Comment

Thanks guys. The cuts are actually pretty easy. I just have the harbor freight saw so nothing fancy. All you have to do to get to round out side cuts is make several cuts shaving down to your line. It goes pretty good. I thought it might be kinda difficult but was not. The inside curves are a little harder but then you just use the blade to grind smothed the inside of the curve. if you have your bricks and saw just give it a try. It is not hard and is fun.

Randy

Comment

I got a little time this afternoon so I cut some cardboard as a spacer, and started dry fitting the first row. I am happy with how it is working out so far. I was worried about the bricks for the entry but it all worked out very well. So now I can start to mortar them in. Maby later this week I can get started if it is not raining. So just a question is the home brew recipe 3,1,1,1 sand, hydrated lime, Portland cement, fire clay. And how much water or is it just a eye thing? Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Looking good. Both the Pizza and the hearth brick cuts.

The saw may start to develop some side to side movement. Mine did. I fixed it by replacing the screw that secures the shaft bearing. It is an easy fix.
                          I think it was caused by a lot of sliver cuts.

David

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                            I got a little time this afternoon so I cut some cardboard as a spacer, and started dry fitting the first row. I am happy with how it is working out so far. I was worried about the bricks for the entry but it all worked out very well. So now I can start to mortar them in. Maby later this week I can get started if it is not raining. So just a question is the home brew recipe 3,1,1,1 sand, hydrated lime, Portland cement, fire clay. And how much water or is it just a eye thing? Thanks for the help.

Randy
                            Correct homebrew recipe. By volume for all ingredients. Use a small pot or bucket for measure. I put ingredients into a 5 gal plastic pail with a lid until about 1/2 full and then put on top and rolled it around to mix.

The first few batches I made up about 1 cottage cheese/yogurt container of homebrew and added water slowly mixing as I went until getting a peanut butter like consistency. The mixing bowl I used was a stainless kitchen mixing bowl. It was easy to clean, durable and unbreakable. A steel paint mixing rod on a drill motor or hand mixing with a silicone spatula works great. Your choice.

Do not mix up much material it will set up much faster than standard brick mortar. Using ice water and keeping the homebrew cool will extend your work time, before it flashes. Hot days are your time enemy.

Soaking your bricks will allow you to use a dryer mortar but there are people that say not to soak your bricks. You need to decide what you want to do for soak vs dry bricks. I soaked mine for about 2 minutes prior to setting them over the next 15 minutes.
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM.
                            Chip

Comment

Thanks for the tips Chip. I will do the best I can to keep it cold. I wish I could have done some work on that this morning. I was afraid I was going to get frost bite. I was so cold till noon. I also took your advice on the sand and got the finest I could find. It is like sugar. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

If you are back filling your bricks (using shims) and not using top tapered bricks, you need a coarser sand for the back fill.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X