Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hi Steve good question I am planning to understand screw the front panel then plunge cut the back layer to make a hole so I can get at the back side to take the screws out. Then I am hoping that the 1/8" Masonite will pull away or break away. Then I pocket hole drilled the rest of the bracing so that can all be removed then. Let me know if you see another problem.

Randy

Comment

It looks like the top of the inner arch wall board will be embedded in the concrete at the top. You may want to put a layer of tape painters masking paper, parchment paper ,or oil your arch forms.
      Chip

Comment

Hello Randy.

Looks like you will have a very nice arch to your storage area. I can see why you were thinking about the Lazy Susan for the storage area.

Have you considered adding several pieces of All Thread to the arch form to help prevent the form from blowing out?
        Maybe over kill but you will have a lot of weight pressing out at the bottom of the form.

David

Comment

Hi David I was hoping to get away how I have it there. It is 3/4" plywood, and it is only about 5 " wise from where it is screwed in to the 2x2. Do you think I need to worry about it? I had thought about running a strap around the base to help hold it on but I don't think it will go any where.

Thanks Chip I was planning to put a strip of expansion joint foam there to help get it out. I also like the plan of spraying the form down with wd40 as a form release. The arch ended up being 11.375 thick. Hope that is not to thick. Thanks for all the help.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
            The arch ended up being 11.375 thick. Hope that is not to thick
            It will be plenty strong when it sets up.

2 pieces of 36. Inch threaded 1/4-20 rod cut in half placed near the bottom would be good cheap insurance against blow out. That will provide 4 tie rods.

Make sure you use some washers on the outside also. To prevent pull thru.

The rod will be easy to snap off or grind off with an angle grinder.

Nice form work BTW.....
            Chip

Comment

Hi chip I borrowed some 3/8 rod from work so I will put that in tomorrow morning. I also got wd40 for a form release. I will you know how it goes.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Good luck with your pour.

It is better safe than sorry. If you are safe you will never know if you needed the rod but if you do need it and don't have it you sure will know it.

David

Comment

Well I got my top slab and arch poored today. It took 37 bags of concrete to poor it. I am happy with how it is looking right now and also very tired as well. 4 hours of sleep is not enough. But I am very excited to have this all done.

Randy

Comment

Looks good, Randy!

That's a nice feeling to have the hearth poured. What are your plans for curing it? I kept the surface of mine wet by misting it. I kinda wish I would have went with some plastic over it. I don't think you can have a hearth that is too strong. How long do you plan to leave the forms up? I ask because I am new to the world of concrete and just wanna learn as much as I can about it from others.

Alex

Comment

Hello Randy

Great job. You get a few days rest now while the slab cures.

Alex I would say that there is no need to rush the form removal. I left mine on till I had the dome finished because they gave me something to stand on while I worked on the dome.
                      They came off with no problem.

David

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the complements. It does feel great to have that all done. I did cover it in plastic right after that picture was taken. I plan to leave it like that till at least early next week. I also plan to leave all my wood support system in for a long time. The only thing I am overly eager to do is take the form off the arch. I am excited to see how that came out. I was a bad boy and dud not add the all thread bracing I brought home. I guess I took a calculated risk and it paid off. I can't wait to start on the dome.

Randy

Comment

Looks great .72 yds of concrete by the bag is. A lot of mixing. Hope you had a good tool for the job.
                          Chip

Comment

Hey Chip yes it is a lot of mixing by hand. As far as good tools does a 40 year old garden ho a wheelbarrow that was left at my parents house by a contractor and my retired father count.

It took about 2.5 hours to get it all mixed. It did not seam to bad as I was very excited to get this step done. I am on schedule sorry far for how I had planed this out. I hope it continues like this. This has been a ton of fun so far. I can't wait to get it done but will also be sad when it is over. I remodeled our kitchen a two years ago and this kinda reminds me of that. I love projects like this.

Randy

Comment

Hey Randy - Looking good. If it turns out half as good as your kitchen reno then it will be a beauty!
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks Steve. I am very happy with how the kitchen turned out. I did all the work except for spraying the ceiling and hanging the cabinets. I was running out of time on those two things. It took about 5 months start to finish.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X