Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Randy

So at 36 Pizzas have you calculated how much they come to now?

My wife says we are down to the $200.00 pizza.

Your finish looks great.I like the tree to the right of the oven.

Have you done anything else in the oven apart from pizza.

I have done Bread, Roast, Chicken, Cookies and dried peppers. Everything was great. One firing for Piazza then Bread then Roast then cokies then dried peppers. This was over a period of 4 days.

David

Comment

• Hi David no I have not done anything else in the oven yet. I plan to but I do not have the landing done yet and no door.

Yeah I was thinking about the price per pizza I was thinking it was down to 150$ a pie but you might be closer at 200$ I did not keep real close tabs on what I spent.

I am also happy with the tree there it helps to shad it nicely.

Randy

Comment

• Hello Randy

I was referring to the face on the tree.

Have you done an insulated door yet? It is very necessary for further cooking. Mine is 4" thick filled with CF blanket. I have also recorded the oven temperature over several days so that I can plan my cooking.

The smell as you open the door on a roast or bread is great. I have even done cookies.

David

Comment

• Hey David thanks. I had completely forgotten about the face on the tree. It has been there since we got back from our honeymoon 11 years ago. My in laws put it up as a joke because my wife did not like them and now loves it.

I do have planes to make a door and plan to fill it with cf board. I still have 2 24"36" sheets left so I could probably do a few of them. I have just been short on free time lately. My 15 month old takes a lot of watching, and I think must be training for a marathon. I did not know such a little guy could run so fast and far. It makes me tired just watching him go.

Randy

Comment

• Here is a little update. I have been working on the grouting of my stone veneer and am almost done now. I have a 3'x3'area left after I ran out of grout this afternoon. So I was very close when I thought it would take 6 more nights of work as today was #7. So I now just need to finish that up and I will be sitting in a pretty good spot to go in to winter.

I also now have the stuff to make my door so I just need to get to work on that. If I have 4" of cf board in the door do I need to worry about the Handel's getting hot?

Randy

Comment

• If the handles are fastened to the inner plate of the door then you might see the heat transmit to the handles. If fasten to the outer plate of door with 4" of cf then you should be golden.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Hello Randy

I made my door from a sheet of steel I got at a Big Box Store. Thin enough to bend fairly easily using angle iron as a bending form. The door is pop riveted and screwed together. It is 4" thick filled with CF board and it holds the temperature every well.
                The Oak finish is home made.
                The door does not get hot in fact it only gets warm when the oven is up in the 600 degree range.

David

Comment

• Well I have finally finished with the grouting. I am glad to be done with that step. I had no problems with my skin doing all the work bare handed till I was half way through the grouting process. Then I wore the skin off a few fingers. I just liked the look I got useing my fingers better than the striking tools. And this far in I figured I could deal with a little pain to get the look I wanted.

I also finally set the vent floor bricks u left a gap of a little bit more than 1\4" and then stuffed it with 12' of 5/16" ceramic rope and then covered the top with ash. I did not want anything toxic on the floor so I thought that would be a better idea.

Now for a question. For the insulating door do you want it to fit inside the dome entry or fit up aginst the revel? I would like to start on that soon. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

• The door should have a flange on it to fit up against the revel, that is the purpose of the revel. If you saved your arch form, it can be the template for the door. Congrats on finishing stone work, I know how tedious it can be.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Hello Randy

I made a template from blue house insulating board. Trimmed and trimmed till I got a good fit in the inner arch.

David

Comment

• Hey David thanks that sounds like a good plan. I have some of the pink board. I think it is just a little different density. I will have to get to work on that ASAP.

Randt

Comment

• Hello Randy

I used oak boards as the outer part of the door. Covered that with a sheet of steel. Made brackets and screwed them to the oak boards.
                          Then folded the inside part of the door. I filled the 4"space with FB and then pop riveted the inside part to the outer part of the door.

Worked well.

David

Comment

• Well I finally got around to building my insulated door. It is 4" thick and filled with calsil board. I will post more about it later.

Randy

Comment

• Looks good! Post lots of pictures and details - sounds like a good winter project while I'm waiting for mortaring weather
                              My build thread
                              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                                Well I finally got around to building my insulated door. It is 4" thick and filled with calsil board. I will post more about it later.

Randy
                                The door looks great Randy! Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh? My firedoor is pretty heavy, so I ended up having a lighter (uninsulated) door made that I could easily lift & place one handed when I was baking bread or other "check frequently" items. Although I still use my firedoor for turkey, roasts, etc., I do find that the lighter door gets a lot of use. Something to think about as you see how your door works with your upcoming "lighter" bake jobs...just what you needed -- another project...
                                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X