IT guy building a 39'' oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IT guy building a 39'' oven

That would all depend on if and when the builder considers their oven DONE!!

I still have things I want to do but mine has been fully functional for almost 4 years.
    Chip

Comment

Good point. What is really considered done I guess it is all just a point of view. So many years.

Randy

Comment

Well, as long as you enjoy it I don't think it matters how long it takes, it's certainly not a race. For me the rush was generated by the fact that I have to give back the cutting machine in 6 weeks (5 have past, have only 1 left to finish the entry arch).
        Alex

Comment

Oh, it seems my posts don't have to be moderated anymore! Yey, I don't have a 1 week lag anymore Thanks admins!

Please check page 1 of the thread, the posts with the build were approved and are now visible.
          Alex

Comment

Now, about the heat break, I really like the design Chip posted on Randy's thread. But I have some questions:
            - by SS you mean stainless steal and not soapstone, right?
            - how thick does it need to be?
            - why go with this and not leave the bricks visible?
            - the fact that the plate sits on top of the bricks so there is a difference in height between that and the oven floor doesn't poses any inconveniences? I am thinking of shaving the bricks under it so that at the end it will sit at the same level as the oven floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heat break4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	308759
            Alex

Comment

That is a great looking dome. I love the photo from inside looking up - I think every oven is different and could be identified by a photo like that, like a fingerprint.

The whole plan and also the location looks great.

I too am an IT guy and have done a lot of very non-IT work to build my oven. In fact my wife regularly describes my work as "Not bad for an IT nerd".

As far as the record for longest build goes I think mine is up there. I started on September 19th 2009 and have about 80% finished. Of course the oven and area is functional and gets used A LOT, but there is still plenty to be done before it is finished.
              Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Thanks Sharkey, your build was awesome, I had a good time reading it (twice).

Seems a lot of IT guys are building ovens, Darin also has a great oven.
                Last edited by Alexandru Duma; 06-18-2015, 04:45 AM.
                Alex

Comment

You do want to shave the bricks down so that the stainless sits at the same level as the rest of the floor. It is there for a heat break and protecting the entry and insulating fire bricks.

Randy

Comment

Alex,

Just caught up on your build. It is easy to see how much care and attention to detail you have put into your oven. Simply magnificent.

Regarding your entryway heat break, you may want to simplify the gap and eliminate the 'thumb-like' protrusion, which is prone to crack from thermal cycling. I originally had this same design but changed when TScar and Les convinced me a 1/4" air gap is sufficient. The bricks on the inside of my arch just barely touch the oven arch, and the outside gap is filled with Inswool refractory caulk.

John

Comment

John, hearing this from you just made my day! I have been reading your thread inside out and it's your design that I am trying to replicate. If I do a job half as good as yours I will be truly satisfied. You will see next that I am copying also the entry arch

About the heat break, I think I will leave a 8mm gap (1/3'') and stick in there a ceramic rope, I think the pressure is enough to keep it in place, maybe just to be sure I will cut a little the inner arch so that the rope will fit in there... will see how it goes this weekend.

About the entry arch, I mad my calculations in Solidworks, here are some screenshots:

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	308786Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	308787Click image for larger version

Name:	Image7.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	308788Click image for larger version

Name:	Image9.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	308789
                      Alex

Comment

Alex,

I think the 8mm gap will work a treat as well as the ceramic rope. I recommend you do not leave an inside gap between entryway and oven arches for oven heat/gasses which will deteriorate the rope over time.

I am envious of your Solidworks designs, which look comprehensive and well-thought out. Building the entryway should go fairly quickly for you. You will be happy with this design's performance as it gives oven smoke/gasses every opportunity to exit up the flue rather than out the front of the oven.

BTW- Congrats on your new son! May he learn to love pizza and the wonderful dishes you and your oven will certainly provide.

John

Comment

Thanks John, this is our first child and having him around is such a bless

Solidworks is a great tool, I know enough to build shapes like that but I am only using it at 0.00001%. I mean you can design airplanes with it!

Friday's progress, got all my bricks cut:

Name:	2015-06-19 21.00.43.jpg
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	308836Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-19 21.01.00.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	308837
                          Alex

Comment

Saturday I worked all day, first I cut a little groove into my arch to hold my ceramic rope. Not deep, only 2-3 mm. The entry arch bricks will press on the rope and seal the gap. This will leave an inside and outside gap of about 4-5 mm between the oven arch and entry arch. About rope deteriorating, not sure... I mean I have the same rope at my wood burning boiler to seal the doors. The inside part is in direct contact with the fire, 8 hours/day in winter and this is my 4th year. And is still in great shape.

Name:	2015-06-20 10.25.11.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	308838

Then on a piece of plywood I pre-fitted almost all my entry:

Name:	2015-06-20 11.38.31.jpg
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	308839Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-20 15.56.52.jpg
Size:	695.2 KB
ID:	308840

And now with mortar:

Name:	2015-06-20 19.15.31.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	308841Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-20 19.16.02.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	308842Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-20 19.15.41.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	308843
                            Last edited by Alexandru Duma; 06-21-2015, 11:08 PM.
                            Alex

Comment

And the end result:

Name:	2015-06-21 14.57.45.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	308844Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-21 14.57.56.jpg
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	308849Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-21 14.58.12.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	308846Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-21 14.58.04.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	308845Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-21 14.58.33.jpg
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	308848Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-21 14.58.27.jpg
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	308847

I still have a little to do today, I need to cut the bricks that will form the flue base. Tuesday is last day before I need to give the cutting machine back, so I need to do the floor heat break. I left that last because I really wanted to have the entry arch done now and not wait 2-3 more weeks until I can get the machine back.
                              Alex

Comment

That looks great Alex. Your attention to detail is obvious and it a pleasure to see. very interested to follow your build.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X