X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IT guy building a 39'' oven

Originally posted by Alexandru Duma View Post
    And the end result:

[ATTACH]48127[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48132[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48129[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48128[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48131[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48130[/ATTACH]

I still have a little to do today, I need to cut the bricks that will form the flue base. Tuesday is last day before I need to give the cutting machine back, so I need to do the floor heat break. I left that last because I really wanted to have the entry arch done now and not wait 2-3 more weeks until I can get the machine back.
    Very NICE.
    You make me look like a hack!

Nice job.
    You will likely not have any smoke out the front.
    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Alex,

Great job! I'm amazed at how fast you get quality work done. Your flue gallery came out really clean and will no doubt breathe wonderfully.

John

Comment

Thanks guys, I am really pleased with the end result also

Had a little more work done on Monday, finished the top of the flue gallery:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-23 09.21.55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	308874Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-23 09.22.35.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	308875

Also the wood has arrived for the roof. After much thought I decided to hire a specialized firm to do this part. I simply don't have the time and tools to do a good job on that. They will finish it in 3 weeks, me in 4 months. Just in time for winter

Name:	2015-06-23 09.24.07.jpg
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	308876

In the back you can see also the tomato plants... they are doing really well this year (75 plants). Hopefully this year I get one over 1 KG Last year I was so close (no chemicals used, only organic compost - manure, egg shells, banana peals, onion and any leftover vegetables)

Name:	2013-09-14 18.20.36.jpg
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	308877

Today and tomorrow total pause... it's raining non stop, good for the garden, bad for the oven floor insulation. It got a little wet, some water managed to get in through the "roof", I hope it will dry out OK. I have now 3 layers of plastic to cover the oven, hopefully it will stay dry.
        Alex

Comment

Hey that is looking great. I hope it did not get too wet. That is my biggest fear right now for my oven. So I will be nervous until I get my chimney in and roof finished. Keep up the great work.

Randy

Comment

Not soaking wet but still, some water got to it. It happened again 3 weeks ago and it dried out well. I'll post a photo once I get home, it's over protected now
            Alex

Comment

I hope that I have mine over protected. It is one of my last big worries before I finish the oven. Here is what I have done.

Randy

Comment

Yours is really neat, mine is something done in a hurry Somewhere, under all that plastic covers is my oven.

Name:	2015-06-25 19.14.10.jpg
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	308887

This morning I made a better version, so that it also protects my oven but also allows the guys to install the wood around it. Will upload a photo this evening.
                Alex

Comment

Hey guys, I'm back Sorry for missing for so long but between the job, kid and build it left me little time to post.

But all is well, let me fill you in on the progress:

I promised the better version of my cover, here it is:

Then the chimney. The guys finished the roof, so no more worries about the rain:

To connect the tubes to the bricks, I actually used a metal piece that entered in the first tube and had a square collar that rested on the bricks. I sealed the join with a heat resistant silicon. Then I made a wooden box, filled it with concrete (I added Sika to make it resistant to heat cycles and don't crack). While the concrete was wet, I positioned some screws so that I can mount my drywall supports. Then drywall.
                  Alex

Comment

After that, I started the fires... I admit I wasn't the patient guy I thought I would be. But I think I was lucky that between the dome completion and the first fire there was a 6 weeks gap and the weather got really hot. So i got some small fires, that one medium-high, got scared , went back to smalls and so on. But it dried out ok, no cracks so the first real fire for the pizza could be made.

First pizza was not round at all, but the best pizza I ever had ) I got better with time, round is not so overrated now

Also made some bread... and how I miss my tomatoes...
                    Alex

Comment

Oh, and this is the "end" result. Still some work to do, but is getting there.
                      Alex

Comment

Insulation was done in October, I wanted to protect the oven from the winter moisture. I ended up with 4 inches of blanket, I ordered 3 roles but it was enough for 4 layers. Also the insulating door was done.
                        Alex

Comment

Working...
                        X