Begining dome construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Begining dome construction

Daa.. What is a stainless needle? I assume they stengthen the cast(like rebar?), but.....

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
      rlf5,
      am I missing something? from the fifth row did you cast the vent? It would be nice to see all the steps to understand details and technique you used. Thanks Carlo
      Which steps are you referring to? The part for casting the vent, or everything up to it? Also, I'm not sure if you think I finished the dome or not. I just finished the 5th course, and so I decided I'd cast my vent now so that it would have time to partially cure while I finish up the dome. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the inside of the mold before I poured the refractory cement in.
      Oven Progress
      Bread Photos
      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
        Daa.. What is a stainless needle? I assume they stengthen the cast(like rebar?), but.....

dusty
        Its just a thin stainless steel rod used to provide strength to the cast. Without it, the risk for cracks goes up.
        Oven Progress
        Bread Photos
        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Dusty,
          I was referring between row 5 and casting, I checked all your threads and not seen a picture of the "naked/installed" vent in order to understand how and what you casted. That was my question/curiosity....I know almost nothing on this subject so trying to read as much as I can in order build up my own plan, thanks Carlo
          Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Carlo

I'll take some pictures of the form, and I'll try and recreate what the inside looked like (using some leftover foam) before I poured the cement in. The foam was basically in the shape of what other's steel vents looked like. That way once the cement has set and I removed the forms & mold, the inside would be hollow. On top of this cast vent I'll put the Duratech anchor plate, and my chimney pipe.
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Thanks Dusty for taking the time and do this, that will be very helful. Ciao Carlo
              Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

A few more pictures of my dome and vent. I tried to recreate what the foam molds on the inside of the vent form looked like. Its pretty much what u see there....I drew in those black lines to show what I cut off. Also, instead of one circle form on top, i had 3. The base was also wider in the real mold.
                Oven Progress
                Bread Photos
                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Dang the lines i drew in my photo program didn't show up. Well just imagine that rectangle block the disk is resting on is a trapezoid.
                  Oven Progress
                  Bread Photos
                  Oven Stand Thread

Comment

A few more pictures of my dome and vent. I tried to recreate what the foam molds on the inside of the vent form looked like. Its pretty much what u see there....I drew in those black lines to show what I cut off. Also, instead of one circle form on top, i had 3. The base was also wider in the real mold.
                    Thanks Dusty, I got it now...I think it is a good idea, would save time and it is very solid! Thanks Carlo
                    Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

• Re: Begining dome construction

Here's a couple pics of the sixth course. I'm at that point where mortar consistency is of great importance. This is also the course that must tie into the door arch...haven't tackled that part yet though.
                      Oven Progress
                      Bread Photos
                      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Can't wait to see the vent! Looks great!
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Great job,

I think you are going to be very happy with a cast vent. The capture area really helps keep smoke from coming out the front of the oven.

Drake
                          My Oven Thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks guys. Functionally, I think it will do well. The bottom of the opening is about 12 inches deep and 19 inches wide. It compresses to about 12x15 before going to an 8 inch OD circle. Although it won't be much to look at, which is why everything will be covered up with everything else upon completion!
                            Oven Progress
                            Bread Photos
                            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Well I took the forms off today for the vent! It actually came out a lot better than I expected. Its hard to see the incline in the vent from the inside though.
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Excellent! Nice work on the cast. Looks like you just need to slap a DuraTech anchor on there and you are ready to go.
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                                X