• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemo
    replied
    Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Day three, Sunday, October 1st.

This is what the slab looked like the next morning. not too bad and the level still said level. I banged off the form with a BFH and then went up to Lowes to pickup some cement blocks. Those things are cheap! I got mine for $1.29 a block. The angle iron for the front...not so cheap. Almost $25 for a 4 foot section.

I had to make a modification to the layout of the bricks. i had originally planned to have a 60" inch frontal area based on a 36" oven + 9" for the firebrick and 5 inches of insulation on each side: 36+9+10 = 55. So I figured I would have a few inches of play room on the side. I totally forgot to do the calculations in 8" increments. Fortunately, I screwed up and ended up with the front of my slab right at 62.5". If you notice in the dry stack, I am just over the edge of the slab about 1/2". So, after all this, I think I will be able to actually make a bigger oven, which is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Congrats!

Off and running!

Can you taste that pizza yet?

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied
    more pics...

and here is Day Two after getting my brother-in-law in the action. He owns a masonry supply company in Houston, so hes a good guy to know I built the form, he put the 4ft level to it, and directed the rebar placement. We then mixed up 35bags of 80lb quickcrete by hand. Not fun. Apparently, I dug out too much and created more work. We tried to locate the 1/2" rebar where the drystack would be, so that it would tie into the slab.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    started a topic Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

All,

I have been lurking here for a while and finally jumped in and started on my oven!

So far so good with only a few problems. I borrowed a shovel and a dirty hoe from a buddy of mine, he also lent me a wheel barrow (sp?).

BTW, I'm a computer nerd and have never done anything like this before, so wish me luck.

Below are some pics:

DAY ONE - The Hole...and justification for wearing gloves.
Working...
X