Acoma 42" Tuscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Yes, it is an it, not a she I considered a blowup doll, but instead opted for something to give you hope for the end of the long winter and completing your build. Thanks again for your help.
    G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, thank you so much! My blow up doll, whoops, dough arrived today. A 5 pack of Caputo flour, NICE!
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I know you're not quite ready to put it to use, but perhaps you can practice with it in your conventional oven. Enjoy!
        G.
        GJBingham

-

Comment

I had originally committed to completely finishing my arch before moving on to the dome. Well, after my template did not go by plan with my arch, I had decided to free form the arch. Being stupid, and having 3 bricks per side to complete 6 of my 9, I thought I would wrap up for the day. As I finish my third brick on the right side, my 3 mortared bricks on the left fell down.. I was saying things I would not repeat here. I re-composed after a moment, cleaned the mortar off, and had 2 of the 3 bricks still intact. I used my arch template in bandade form and reapplied 2 of the 3 on the left. I also placed support for the 3 on the right. Now I plan to finish the last 4 tomorrow.
          With this mental setback, I figured that I cannot give in, so I have decided to go to the dome, and do dome, arch, dome, arch till arch is done. Tomorrow evening I should have my 2nd course complete, back arch section complete, and by Sunday, 4th course complete. I will have photos then due to late work on the oven with lighting and limited space.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

What a great adult puzzle, huh? It rivals anything challenging I've ever done. Have fun with it Robert. It ends all to quickly.
            G.
            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              What a great adult puzzle, huh? It rivals anything challenging I've ever done. Have fun with it Robert. It ends all to quickly.
              G.
              PUZZLE???? It sure has me scratching my head, among other places. I'm cutting the bricks for the 5th and spent a good bit of time trying to figure out the tie-in to the arch. Finally have one cut for the left side.

Sorry about your arch issues Acoma, yesterday when I was doing mine I was to snug with the last brick. So I tried a hammer on the keystone - ended up going in but lifted the center 3/4". Also the small joint starting the arch appeared to be weak. So I redid in this morning and strengthen the starting point. Redos aren't all bad
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

Allow me to update you further. I shipped my brain out of country, because I sure wasn't using it when it came to the arch. I now have to do surgery on it. I realize that with the 1 inch pull out at the bottom of the arch is wrong. The wall portion is right. The inside of the arch at the top before going into the oven would be 11 inches, not 12. Major screw up! I decided to cut out the 1 inch part only on the arch in back. I will keep the 1 inch for the walls, and continue with the flare. I still had two bricks left for the arch in back when I finally collected my sanity. I will now cut the last two with a wet saw, then cut the rest over time. I am not going to redo the arch, that part being major headache. I will attempt to start the 3rd course tomorrow evening, with the 4th on Saturday, as well as the final 2 arch bricks for the back.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Gotta love that dome archway transition, huh? Enjoy the sleep loss Rob. What a great puzzle!
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

I have a plan, it changed, again it changed. Sound familiar? I took photos of the oven for 2nd course with 1/3 of course 3.

Tomorrow you will see photos of course 3 complete.

I also thought it would be nice to share photos of the recent storm and some fun we had as well.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Enjoy the winter fun, snow in the doorway and wet kitchen floors. At least you're smiling!
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Great photos. I guess Pacific storms that drop rain on the coast bring some serious snow in the hills. How was the snowboarding?

One funny thing. When I first saw your photos, the blue background made me think Australia -- those lucky folks with summer sky. Then, when I clicked on the picture; there was your blue tarp. Excellent.

I agree on keeping the arch. The height will be fine, and it is definitely not worth a re-do. I've never met a turkey that is 12" high lying on its back. :-)

Keep up the great work -- your brickwork looks great.

James
                        Last edited by james; 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM.
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I wish I was able to snowboard. I have been teaching my older daughter to ski, so the snowboard waits for now. We had over two inches of rain the day before, then it turned to snow.

Summer in Australia will end soon.....we will regain the warmth

James, I have not done it yet, but have decided to cut out the bottom lip of the arch area where that 1in. hangs down. This would give me the 12inches. The wall pop out stays of course. It wouldn't look wierd would it? If I was to keep the lip I have 11 inches at peak, and it just seems as though it would be low. Any further input on that? I cut the last two pieces without the lip, mortared one of them, but I have two spares with lips. I could remove the one without the lip, but I am just not sure about which direction.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Don't forget that the top of the arch into the oven chamber is going to be covered with soot -- and somewhat hidden behind your decorative arch that forms the vent landing area.

What about cutting back to be level (to the ground) with the arch into the oven? A mix of form (it will look right) and function (it will be high enough for your huge turkey).

I really think this will be fine.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, the front of the entry will be flared, very similar to JC Jim. Going straight across would not work. Based on your talk of the soot, it sounds ok to just cut the arch lip area and leave the wall lip alone. This will allow for a door to function, and I believe the look will still be very nice, being that the flared front will command the attention, not the back lip on the arch.

I am going to do my best to have the forth course done Saturday. I had gone straight up on the first two courses, then started angling the bricks as of the 3rd. Going to angle really uses up mortar and clean up time. I have been cleaning every brick as I go, and by doing it this way, I do not have to re-address it later. I am excited by the way it is coming together, and thanks for the input.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Great to finally see pictures, I look forward to following your progress.
                                RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                                Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X