• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Excellent work, Robert! Looks great.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

As I discussed with James, I have decided to work on removing the lower lip of the arch due to lack of proper planning on height for the arch. I believe it will still look great once complete.

As for the dome, I have the 3rd course complete, with the 4th course cut. Tomorrow I will mortar the 4th course, then I will take a brief break with more potential weather on its way, and Sunday's committed to the children.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Robert,

All is looking great! And huge! Going up three courses without much move toward center is really making it look spacious. Or am I just imagining that?

Jim

Comment

Jim, I went straight with the first 2 only. The 3rd s angled slightly, with the 4th now to have a more radical angle to get me to a 20" top.

I am doing so much free hand with arch and dome right now. I used the tool to get the perfect circle, but my use will be limited until likely the 7th course, being that I am bringing the dome in to the 20.

I have to grind some areas of the arch to keep a nice look, and hopefully it compares to some of the greats here. If not, I will still be very happy, remembering this hard work and my raw hands.

Due to my desire to keep full siza bricks (1/2's) instead of tapering as long as possible, I am using my share of mortar as you would guess. James will be happy

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

[QUOTE=Acoma;22693] If not, I will still be very happy, remembering this hard work and my raw hands.
            QUOTE]

Did you forget your gloves? Cardinal rule broken???
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Robert,
              As you start reducing the distance to the center you will appreciate the angles and bevels calculations that Jim has so graciously offered. I'm assuming you have the 10" wet saw, that is what I remember. the bevel angle cut will be a God send. So far the tapering hasn't been an issue with my small saw, but I imagine I'll use at least 150 pounds of Heat Stop. That reminds me I need to go to Dallas shopping after the next two courses! I think my blanket will be in then.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

George, the gloves are a hastle. I can feel the bricks and mortar placements better. Also for the cleaning of bricks as I go.

RC, for now I will not bevel the bottoms as I attempt to keep full thickness throughout. As for the sides, I only cut one, keeping some gap for bonding with mortar.

Each course for now is 27 bricks. I finished 15 of the 27 today. I am going to attempt to finish the 4th over the next couple days. I will then get my angle grinder and clean up the areas that stick out, vent area, or the bricks that are not showing round shape at the arch where it meets the dome wall. Probably a day of this will have me in great shape for course 5.

I would say that after course 5 everyone will see the true angle of the dome come into play. I just like the wall going straight for the first 2 courses, providing a grand view from the arch opening.

Next photo to come upon completion of course 4.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Looks fantastic Robert! Your planning and patience are very evident. Keep up the good work and enjoy!

dusty

Comment

I finished the 4th course today! Wow, 4 courses in a week. Tomorrow will be day of the grinder, the the photo to share.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll let you off the hook about the gloves. I've reverted to gloveless work, now that my cuts have healed.
                      George
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

I finished the 4th course last night. I have do need to mortar the gaps still, but that is cake. Then on to course 5.

I also grinder to clean up the arch, inner dome to arch, and little areas.

I should be able to do course 5 and 6 by end of next Sunday.

Lastly, it is sad not to get input from the lady builders here as well. Come on, I know you're out there.
                        Last edited by Acoma; 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Looking good Rob,
                          Are you seeing this in your dreams now?
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

So you want feedback from lady builders, huh?

OK, will do:

Of course I've also been following your build from the beginning. I am especially impressed (if not to say intimidated) with the the degree of planning you put into your project. What patience and dedication! I seem to remember you were discussing measurements and building variations before even starting the foundations - whereas I was out there tearing up the backyard the day after I discovered this forum.

But of course that's one of the fascinating things about this place, the way everyone builds their oven differently. So I'll try to overcome my awe and chime in on your build anyway

You said you're cutting just one side of each brick? Is each course is going to be 27 bricks, just narrower towards the top? That would be a great way to stop the joints from lining up. Or are you going to reduce the number of bricks higher up?

I especially like the shape of your archway - slightly pointy towards the top, sort of leaning towards a gothic arch shape. And it looks really good with the lip shaved off, I'm glad that turned out so well.

All the planning is certainly paying off, and its great watching your dome come together. It looks really good!

... so, thats all from this lady builder for now. I think Sarah's more or less left the forum for the winter, but maybe she'll chime in again sometime
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances, thank you so much for your input. It is great to get feedback from you as well.

As for the bricks and cutting one side only, I felt better with some mortar inbetween than nearly none, so the one sided cuts provided the small gaps to keep me satisfied.

The 4th course has a strong angle to it, whereas the 3rd was not bringing the dome in like I wanted. The 5th thru the 8th will get me to the desired 20 inch that I want. I believe the quantity of bricks will be determined by the cuts that get my bricks to keep from lining up over each other, and however many it takes to complete the course. The first 2 were 28 bricks, and the last 2 were 27.

Course 5 will be the first to tie into the arch, and likely course 6 will be the top. Course 7 should be clear of the arch, allowing me complete circles.

Keep the feedback coming, I appreciate it from all of you.

Thanks,
                              Acoma.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Rob I am amazed! I think you are going to achieve the "perfect" pizza oven!
                                Very nice, I keep looking to George's and you your posting as I do not want to lose the knowledge and keeping up with new ideas you both have......I stopped working for the winter ...here is impossible..today below 0 again.
                                Hope to catch you up before you finish and leave the forum! ciao Carlo
                                Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Working...
                                X