Acoma 42" Tuscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

It could also be a thing where if you're not actually able to do any building on your oven, you don't follow the forum quite so closely. Which makes sense, I suppose. They'll all come flocking back come Springtime, I'm sure.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Been busy shoveling the white crap. Drove my Z to work yesterday - BIG mistake. Going home was Mr. Toads wild ride, complete white out. I don't know how you work in this weather, you definitely have the drive.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Robert... I'm guilty of being a quiet winter lurker . I am definitely watching. You are NOT alone

My project has been tightly covered since New Years. It's just too cold for me to get motivated for outdoor work. My next step is to add 4-5" of vermic-crete on top of the blanket and I want a few 40F+ days so it cures. So I may be on hiatus until early spring.

As to cladding:
        James made a comment a few months back that our ovens (1/2 brick thick) are way thicker than the kits and some commercial ovens. He seemed to think that extra mass on top of the already thick walls is completely unnecessary. We are better off spending the $$ on insulation to retain heat.

On this information, I chose to skip cladding entirely and threw my blankets right on top of my nice clean dome. It's working like a champ. It takes me a solid 2 hours to get everything up to temp. I really don't want more mass than that (more insulation should help lower that time).

I'm definitely a member of the "No-Cladding" camp. If you add cladding before OR after curing, it will still crack because the dome *will* expand and contract. That's physics.

BTW... Your work is outstanding.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I have completed the transition of the 5th and 6th course. I also completed the 6th course.

Now I move to course 7, which will complete a circle and will finalize the transition of bricks.
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ken, interesting thoughts about brick thickness and cladding. I will do further research before confirming any change. I appreciate that feedback. Critical thinking indeed.

Les, I wish I was in the car during such adventure

I apreciate the honesty about winter solitude. With your ovens done for the most part, don't let it keep you quiet

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Nice snowbunny, who is the sculpter in the family?

Jim

Comment

Robert this part is tricky but it looks like you doing a great job. I can't believe you're doing this in winter, I've used the wet saw a couple of times in the 40s and I don't think that is fun at all. With the winds so bad I haven't done anything recently, hopefully it will stop soon.
                Keep up the good work
                RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                Oven Thread

Comment

Robert,

I had not been keeping up with things in the past while and am amazed at how far along your oven is! And I love your arch transition - beautiful work, as is the rest of it! Hang in there - it's got to be tough working on this through the winter but you'll soon be at the point where the arch is behind you and the rows get smaller, quicker! Do you plan to use a form as the rows get higher?

Sarah

Comment

Sarah, I have done everything freehand. No support for arch or dome. It has been insane at times, but I feel more confident doing it this way. For the arch, my support was only to hold the pieces in place after I was done, a temporary support. As for the dome, I have a tool I aquired from JC Jim, and this can be an option later as the circles tighten. If not, I will go by hand. I figure I can do it because of the arch.

Jim, the sculpure is my wife. The snow was what we call out west "Sierra Sement", very moist and sticky. Not favorable for skiing or boarding, but great for making snowbunnies. My wife and the girls had an awesome time. Guess where I was while it was going on? Yep, working on the oven. I was able to hear them laughing while it was going on. For some of you, a better view of the fun.

RC, as for wet saw usage. Most recent usage was in the 20's. My hands were freezing, and I was quick to cut and get back into the tent. Likely it was the coldest of times with it.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Ahh much better photo of it. A bit of engineering expertise in keeping those ears up as well. And the kids! easy to predict gray hairs for you in about 13 years.

It looks like you made a big change in slope or angle in your last course (like a change of 20-25 degrees from your photos) are you going for a bit of a flatter dome ceiling?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                        ... as for wet saw usage. Most recent usage was in the 20's. My hands were freezing, and I was quick to cut and get back into the tent. Likely it was the coldest of times with it.
                        This is pretty serious stuff Robert. I'm having trouble picturing numb from vibration and numb from cold at the same time. Did your hands really tingle when they thawed out?

I really (really) hope you like your oven when it's done. :-)
                        James
                        Last edited by james; 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM.
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, vibration is nothing compared to numbness of fingers. Getting into the tent, my hands go straight to the warm water soaking bricks when this happens.

As for the oven, I take building it very serious. I do that with all projects, and find that all of past project results come out above expectations. I am very confident I will love this oven. Building it is tough, and I mean tough- for winter time and room constraints. What the heck, a promise is a promise. To my daughter, and oven by spring.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Wow, looking at your pictures takes me right back! Don't you love it when the dome starts closing in like that? I wish I could build another oven sometime...

The dome looks great, and I really like the second picture, it shows how you're tying in the dome and archway beautifully. Did you put that one in the photo gallery yet? I'm sure it would be really helpful to future oven builders.
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Jim, sorry I did not respond to the question about angle. The angle has been the same for several courses. You are finally seeing it now. I check the angle and distance after each course to be sure I am on track to be at approximately 20" by finish. I only wish for the curved dome, realizing the base from center was 22.5, then 23+ after 2 straight courses. This is amateur at best. I will measure the distance from center with 6 done and let you know where I am at. I kind of figure 12 courses to completion with full thickness of bricks?

Frances, I believe the transition photos of 5 and 6 are there, as well as completion shots of each course. I do agree that it helps future builders too.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Jim, I finished the cuts for 1/2's for course 7. I angle cut one side, and I will wait to bevel the other until I do my measurements for each piece. After that, more cutting

As for accurate measurements from center point to top of each course brick:

C1- 22.25
                                C2- 22.50
                                C3- 23
                                C4- 23
                                C5- 22.5
                                C6- 21.75

C7 on will be more gradual I believe. I will see what consistent height is needed in the backs to get to 20 now.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X