Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by Acoma View Post

Maybe I will be the first in this forum as Michalangelo, to do the unknown? Maybe I will be the Darwin of evolution? Maybe I will be the Columbus of America
    Somehow I think this title belongs to all the great and innovative builders that have made the FB forum the oven building resource par excellence it already is.

Comment

[QUOTE=Inishta;23583]Somehow I think this title belongs to all the great and innovative builders that have made the FB forum the oven building resource par excellence it already is.

Just enjoy building.......

I rushed mine, but i still had fun

Lots of cracks, but my WFO is still standing, and it's the best oven/bbq/smoker/slow cooker I have ever owned

Rock on!!!!!
      Last edited by asudavew; 02-02-2008, 10:57 PM. Reason: silliness
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave, Inishta,
        I think you guys got it right. Enjoy the process. Robert, you put a lot into this project and to me it is very important to put your own ideas and design into it, HAVE FUN, and HOPE for the best. I know you have done the first and are hoping for the best...that leaves having fun doing it. I hope you are and have.
        Stick by what you believe, and build YOUR oven. We have all had setbacks in the process and I think every forum member would agree - we all try to give advice that may help the next guy avoid our own pitfalls.

That said, if no one jumps in and says the outward thrust on certain courses will be too great (due to you steep angles on those course), Someone that really knows the issue, not just a guy like me who has concerns but no math or logic to back it up....... Go for it, it is what you designed (and I assume want). My LAST recomendation would be a YES to putting on that layer of cladding you've mentioned. If it all adhears well, it should supply a bit of reinforcment, hey, I did a 1/2" layer for the very same reason, to help tie it all together and give a uniform finish before the insulation...a lot of us have done the same. Can't hurt, and it just might do what we want - keep the dome in tact. Good luck bud, and I know I've already said it - your doing a very clean, precise build, my hat is off to you.

RT

Comment

Robert
          Looking at Jim's chart, I'm wondering if you now reduce the gap to less than 1/2" you may get closer to the 20" goal. I sketched mine out yesterday and will be a little high unless I tamper the next row. Put it down on paper or if you are like Jim down on CAD drawing and see what gap works.
          You could then think of only reinforcing those levels with cladding
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

This help from all of you helps drive me foreward. It keeps me motivated to see this oven throug. I am excited now, and more so that the day I started the project.

I will do the cladding of 1 inch as reenforement. Better safe than not.

Jim, you are truly a gentlemen and friend, to provide the details that you have done for me. Actually, all of you have been a motivator to me, and it means so much.

Jim, I will check out the lift for the back that you mention, and with my template that I will construct, to verify everything.

Inishta, we are all the great innovators, the originals to our ovens. You are right. I mentioned myself to the level of what concerns us at this moment. I am glad we all agree as to where we have ventured. In my opinion, there is no greater oven forum that gives strength and support to each other. Not to be gooey, but we are in a wierd way, an extended family that supports the needs of the members.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

THIS IS A DEPRESSING MOMENT!!!!

I have looked at the pattern, and no matter what, I would end up at 18.5 for inside. I talked with FB engineer and he said the large gaps would not be an issue. He saide 18.5 for inside top is not an issue for me. The bottom line per Peter is what I feel comfortable with.

Now I will be removing courses 5 and 6. These are the courses with the large lift. So depressing, but the smartest course to get me towards the 20" oven, and to have it done right. I will be usig the oven for years, and for all the hard work, it is better to take 2 steps back. This may take a week to remove and clean up the bricks.

Jim, please do me a favor and work up a new course of lift for the back starting with lift from 4. I am not sure if I really need to remove 4 as well, being that I would be at 23" from center for inside top. Please confirm a good angle would exist if I keep it.

As for the rest of you. I will be tuning out of participation for a few weeks. This is very hard to swallow and is very depressing. Again, it is needed.

Once I get the numbers from Jim, get each course completed again, I will provide fresh photos.

Sorry.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Not a huge setback Robert. Glad you caught it now, rather than later. Hang in there buddy!
                George
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Cheer Up Robert, you've caught it at the right time and as your title says you want that Tuscan oven, not something in between. In no time at all, you will be back to this spot and then it's onwards and upwards - or at least inwards.
                  RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                  Oven Thread

Comment

Change in plans. I attempted to remove a brick by grinding the back side of the mortar at one location. Tough as it can get! I stopped after a second, inspected, then decided to modify the current course 6.

With course 6 I have taken the bricks on inside face and removed .50 from the top. Tomorrow I will remove .50 from top back of bricks. This will help me a lot.

From here I plan to modify the remaining courses so that I get close to 20 if I can. I am more confident after I did the first half of modification to 6.

Please trust me, I believe this will still look great and work great.

Jim, once I get course 6 cleaned up I will get you the details. I hope that you can help with ratio for lift needed in the back then.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Anything you need, just say the word.

Comment

Take heart, Robert. I was just looking at your photos - your work is great and these things don't change that. The things that seem like big problems at this point in the process kind of fade into the woodwork once you get to the cooking phase - all will be well!

Sarah

Comment

Because I cannot put 8 pictures on one post, I will do 4 per. I have cleaned up the bricks, modified to my desire, and now will detail for Jim in the next post the measurements.

I just noticed the 1st and 2nd pictures should not be in here, they were before I did the modification to 6. Sorry.
                          Last edited by Acoma; 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Here are the other 4 picturese.

Jim, course 6 is now 22.25 from center. The angle is 45 degrees. What is your idea on lift in back to get me to 20? Is it possible, or do I need to shave some top of the inside top for course 7? Hope you understand that part.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Robert ? out of curiosity, if you?re building a 42 inch oven, why did you want a dome height of 20 inches? Seems to me that 21 would be ideal.

Les?
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, from the readings I believe that 20 is optimal for pizzas. It is also a balance of height for varying foods. No other reason, and it will be 20" after I fixed my issues with my previous angle on 6. As for my new calculations, with a slight correction if needed, I will do .50 on lift for the back of the bricks. Doing this will give me the following:

C7- 22"
                                C8- 21.5"
                                C9- 21.25"
                                C10- 20.80"
                                C11- 20.5"
                                C12-20.20"
                                C13- 20"

This is verified using a template I created on art sheet, to be transfered to harder template for oven site.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X