Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Robert ? out of curiosity, if you?re building a 42 inch oven, why did you want a dome height of 20 inches? Seems to me that 21 would be ideal.

Les?
    I guess Robert and I have been shooting for 20", that's the measurement desribed in the e-book. I guess I do read instructions now and then. Probably won't make a difference at either height.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

Robert,
      I'm glad you're back on track, I was thinking you could continue with a lesser gap and hit you're goal. Onward and upward!
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
        I guess Robert and I have been shooting for 20", that's the measurement desribed in the e-book. I guess I do read instructions now and then. Probably won't make a difference at either height.
        I was shooting for the perfect half sphere. Seemed to make sense in regard to reflecting the heat back to the floor. I think you are right, what's one inch between pizza's.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I concur as well. I went for a half sphere and ended up a half an inch too high. I was estatic.

G.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I never actually measured mine after....

Maybe I should do so!
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Wow. That is all I can say.

I've been a member here 2 years now almost to the day. The last 6-8 months here have been incredible - all of you just keep continually raising the bar.

Even though my oven is finished I keep coming back to see who's doing what.

I think the really neat thing about this - is that some of you are really artisans with your brick work, some of us are more diy folks and have some rough edges - but at the end of the day we are gonna make some really good pizzas!!!

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                Here are the other 4 picturese.

Jim, course 6 is now 22.25 from center. The angle is 45 degrees. What is your idea on lift in back to get me to 20? Is it possible, or do I need to shave some top of the inside top for course 7? Hope you understand that part.
                Robert,

I hope you were wearing a mask of some sort for all that grinding.

I am attaching two possible solutions. The first will work with the grinding of course six that you did. Check the measurements I have included from top inside edge of 6 to pivot at 22.25", direct to floor (not to pivot) of 14.3" and from center of floor to inside face of c1 at 21" and if they agree with actuals, a gap of .45" between courses will get you to 20". Make sure I have represented your grind on c6 correctly. If any of the measurements outlined above don't agree with real world, tell me which one and I will fire off new drawings.

Sorry for the second because it would require the removal of course 6 but provides for a better transition between courses resulting in a smoother inner dome. Once C6 is removed the gap would be .58" between courses.

Hope this helps.

Jim
                Last edited by jcg31; 02-07-2008, 06:29 AM.

Comment

You've got me curious. How the heck do you measure .45 inches accurately when you place your bricks. Perhaps I'm not awake yet or don't quite understand your brick placement contraption.

Just wondering.....
                  G.
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

George,

Neither of these scenarios would work with the guide (contraption) I created. By design if you have a 21" radius from pivot to face of soldier course the holder will enforce the same radius from pivot to ceiling (and at every point along the way) and because it remains afixed to the pivot the slope of the course and the resultant gap are assured. So a 42" diameter oven will have a 21" ceiling.

In the case of the drawing for acoma all I did was draw what I thought was the best transitional arc from edge of the top course to 20" center of dome and then fit the remaining courses along that path with common increments in slope. In terms of measurement for placement a shim cut to size would do the trick (calipers to get that decimel number nailed) .

All that said, this is done in the CG world where you can get accuracy to whatever place you would like. Its translation to the real world is meant to be directional.

Jim
                    Last edited by jcg31; 02-07-2008, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jim,
                      pretty much what I was thinking. That's why I'm still lost on the 20 inch planned height vs. the 21" sphere, which seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to do.

In my hands, I'd shoot for a half inch and accept anything +/- 1/8th".
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Jim, your calculations need to be modified. You have course 1 at 21", mine was 22.25. This gives me a larger radius for the dome as well. With course 6 being 22.25, I still have further to go than the first drawing. The one thing I did not do when I checked for the .5 lift in back for the remaining courses was to take a brick to the dome and verify the lift of .5 would get me to 22" for inside top of 7. I will do that this morning, then let you know.

As for grinding, I was all powdered up with brick dust at the end. I did have a mask, but this mask was history by the end. I used both a grinder and circular saw with masonry blade. The combined worked great.
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Would it be simpler to cut a template?

Just wondering, cuz I'm confused with all the drawings and angles... etc.

But I am trying to follow along!

Dave
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave,
                            I thought it was just me...
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                              Jim, your calculations need to be modified. You have course 1 at 21", mine was 22.25. This gives me a larger radius for the dome as well. With course 6 being 22.25, I still have further to go than the first drawing. The one thing I did not do when I checked for the .5 lift in back for the remaining courses was to take a brick to the dome and verify the lift of .5 would get me to 22" for inside top of 7. I will do that this morning, then let you know.

As for grinding, I was all powdered up with brick dust at the end. I did have a mask, but this mask was history by the end. I used both a grinder and circular saw with masonry blade. The combined worked great.
                              Sorry, my mistake. For some reason I had it in my head you were building a 42" oven, but just to confirm, you are building a 44.5" diameter oven with a 20" ceiling?

Jim

Comment

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you guys have brought it up...

Just as an innocent bystander, it sure looks like we are trying to make rocket science out of this stuff. From my own (limited) building experience, it seems to me that it would be nearly impossible for someone to work up precise CAD drawings for someone else's oven based on photos and measurements. There are just too many variables induced in the cutting, mortar work, and skill level. Masonry is *not* exact science (good masons only make it look that way).

I'm certainly not knocking Robert or Jim. The collaboration is really outstanding; and the workmanship is equally outstanding (really Robert, your oven ROCKS!).

As Dave mentioned, a simple template cut to the desired interior curve would easily solve this dilemma. No grinding, trimming or removal of courses is necessary . You can still cut and set your bricks with absolute precision.

Robert, your work is great, but I hate seeing you become anguished over fractions of inches. .58"? 69.4deg? 20" dome vs. 21" dome? I'm not sure what saw you are using, but my Harbor Freight saw can barely cut a *straight* line, let alone one accurate to a hundredth of an inch.

Relax and enjoy your build. It's ok to give yourself permission to not make it PERFECT. I'm a total perfectionist and learned about halfway through that it wasn't going to be perfect no matter what I did.

Keep up the great work and have fun!!
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                                X