Acoma 42" Tuscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Jim, don't sweat the diagrams. I need to modify each brick and course as I go.

I will keep to the goal of 20". Doing this for course 7 with the 45 degree angle of 6, I was at 21.5. I shaved the face with the wet saw by .5 to get my top face to 22.0, and I will continue to the top course with .5 lifts in the back. I am sure I will nurse along my progress to the end, but that is ok with me, it is my goal to have the best looking and functional oven I can produce for self satisfaction. If I get admiration along the way, then that means so much more to my drive to continue on this path.

As for the sides, I am finding that I need to bevel each side of the bricks to keep it looking good. I pair two bricks at a time to get semi uniform connection between them, then I move on to the next two connections (i.e., 4 and 5, then 5 and 6, etc. Once I go around to all the bricks to get this part done, I get to mortar 7.

RC, you are a dog to get the advancement on me, but that is life. I am learning such patience that it blows me away.

RT, remember the pizza experience? With recent setbacks, I am sure I would have been like, ya..I need to leave, we are hungry for real food
    Last edited by Acoma; 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
      Would it be simpler to cut a template?

Just wondering, cuz I'm confused with all the drawings and angles... etc.

But I am trying to follow along!

Dave
      Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      Dave,
      I thought it was just me...
      Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you guys have brought it up...

Just as an innocent bystander, it sure looks like we are trying to make rocket science out of this stuff. From my own (limited) building experience, it seems to me that it would be nearly impossible for someone to work up precise CAD drawings for someone else's oven based on photos and measurements. There are just too many variables induced in the cutting, mortar work, and skill level. Masonry is *not* exact science (good masons only make it look that way).

Yeah, OK, my wife lines up behind you all. She has struggled for more than twentyseven years with my propensity to overengineer. I mentioned this series of posts to her - - she suggested I treat it as an intervention.

Jim

Comment

I just love my little girls. Something special to make all of you smile as well. I know, its not about the oven, but we all need a breather to reflect on more than just working on the oven, life and family is great too.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Funny stuff Robert. An oven building intervention. Your wife probably gets the brunt of your disgusted faces and ill temperment when things aren't working out quite right. Mine sure did.

Great to see that you can refocus so easily. Building the oven should be a fun project. All your fine work will soon be covered up with insulation and Matrilite. Even if you really stick your head way in the entryway, you can only see about half the dome. All that cool brickwork becomes invisible. Only we, who are watching from afar, will know if your dome ended up a half and inch too high, or one of your bricks had a bit too much mortar on it. I know I won't think badly of you and the pizza surely won't care.

Great shots of the kids!

George.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Robert,
            Ditto what George said... Great looking kids!

Jim,
            Oven Building Intervention... That's priceless. What would we do without our significant others to keep our sanity in check!?
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
              RC, you are a dog to get the advancement on me, but that is life. I am learning such patience that it blows me away.
              Patience my as..., I want to eat pizza You just took a pause to reflect, you will be done in no time and then it will be warm. Enjoy the kids while they are growing up, it happens to fast.
              Last edited by RCLake; 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

RC, you drive me nuts! I wish I had your pace. I go at a different beat. You are finished with your 9th course, and I now completed 11 of my estimated 33 bricks to finish 7. I will finish 7 tomorrow no matter what. Sunday am I will clean up the face and top of the bricks. This will be great since I will be done with the transition as well after this.

RC, is your pace faster now after the transition point? For me, beveling both sides is time consuming. I also spent time cutting all the bricks, only to find I cut them short, so I will have to cut a couple more to keep me in the middles or close to them for the bricks below.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                  RC, you drive me nuts!
                  Robert, I think you are already there I refuse to work in these conditions because it hurts! I am going to nominate you, not for your work, but for your amazing tenacity - blows my mind...

God speed dude! When you are done, and I think that is going to be very soon, I would like to come on by and see one of your fires - I'm already getting heat envy

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    I refuse to work in these conditions because it hurts!
                    I'm with you, Les (and I'm in mild Kentucky!). I can't imagine what working outside in Reno this time of year is like.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I am nuts to do this. I swear, if it weren't for my promise for my older daughter, mine would be on hold too. In a way, it is fun to feel the pains of winter.....

Les, once the oven is done, and the cures start, you are definately invited to partake. I was even thinking of a visit from you leading into completetion of the bricks if you desired? Let me know.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I have two bricks left and then 7 is done. My last two are the middle of the arch, where so many angles and grinding to make them fit, exist. I will be watching my college play bball (Nevada), then out to finish.

Sunday AM is grinding clean the bricks. After that, I am devoting the day to the family. I will also be showing my Annemarie the oven for the first time

Oh ya, and photos for all of you.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

7 is done!!!!

Transition is done!!!!!

I was amazed at how fast 7 went, only exception being the transition area. I believe I can have 8 done by end of week.

As for my dome, course 7 is 22.125 from center at inside top face. The angle is 50 degrees.

Enjoy the photos....

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Great work Robert! Enjoy your day off with the family.
                            G.
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Congrats on completing the transition - it looks really good!
                              Sarah

Comment

Great Job,
                                Enjoy the next row being a complete ring. It will be a challenge of a different sort.
                                RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                                Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X