Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's time to go Vertical

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    HA! You ran out of bricks Now you need to wait 30 days as punishment. I will go at my normal pace and we will happily finish together
    You mean the sore back is not punishment enough. I had to shopping today, got 30 more bricks which I hope closes the dome and finishes the archway. I really haven't thought about the chimney yet. I figure I can get to curing the WFO and cooking without one for a short term.

The only problem with shopping is we've started another project. I got 500 sf of wood flooring for the room above our garage. Priorities, which will I work on first
    Hopefully we will get some rain and I can do the flooring, otherwise that will wait for the FIRES.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      That was exactly my experience. Looks nearly identical in shape and size to my 10th. 3 more rows to go and you get to figure out how you will do the keystone!
      That's what I'm thinking. I won't worry about the shape of it till then. By the way, my neighbor has a sand blaster ( he's into restoring cars) and I remember someone etching the keystone. It may have been Jim, but I don't remember who, does anyone?
      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

With the visions of sugarplums dancing Oh I mean getting close to closure is like waiting for Christmas
        I'm thinking I better start reviewing how to cure the dome. Anyone have a good site to start this class? If I remember correctly, it's to wait a week(why?) and then start the fires. I've seen James new method, but we are very dry here and I'm not sure I want to leave a fire go all night.
        Also plus or minus of having the insulation blanket on during this process.
        Thanks

Like always I'm getting ahead of myself.
        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

it's to wait a week(why?)
          Your mortar needs to cure. The process is called hydration. If you dry out your fresh mortar with curing fires your carefully laid mortar will turn into a crumbly mess.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

RC, you took time to build, take time to cure! Don't take steps back now. Patiently wait for those 7 days to pass, and figure which curing method you will apply, the old or new. James has sticky'd both methods. If you have the days off, go with the new, if not, then the old. The new makes more sense too.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

RC,
              Here's the most recent one:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...ghlight=curing
              Last edited by gjbingham; 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                That's what I'm thinking. I won't worry about the shape of it till then. By the way, my neighbor has a sand blaster ( he's into restoring cars) and I remember someone etching the keystone. It may have been Jim, but I don't remember who, does anyone?
                There you go RC..............................

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/k...ghlight=etched

Comment

With the visions of sugarplums dancing Oh I mean getting close to closure is like waiting for Christmas
                  I can relate. I was lucky. Both Christmas and closure were on the same day.

Your oven looks great. I knew that little dip was no big deal. Looks like it is gone already.

dusty

Comment

Only just back in time to see this one finished...

Its looking really good! The next pics are going to be of the keystone, right?

Then you'll have a 7 days wait until the fires start, brings us to the 19th... hum, might be rushing things a little bit if you wanted to host a pizza party on the 23rd...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                      Your mortar needs to cure. The process is called hydration. If you dry out your fresh mortar with curing fires your carefully laid mortar will turn into a crumbly mess.
                      That's what I thought I had read AND I'll wait.
                      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                        There you go RC..............................

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/k...ghlight=etched

I thought it was Jim's, thanks for the link
                        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                          Only just back in time to see this one finished...

Its looking really good! The next pics are going to be of the keystone, right?

Then you'll have a 7 days wait until the fires start, brings us to the 19th... hum, might be rushing things a little bit if you wanted to host a pizza party on the 23rd...
                          I'm hoping to start my fire by the 23rd
                          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Well I have a 9x10" oval on top after finishing row 11 and I'm just less than 20 1/2" from the center. The bevel cuts get quite interesting at this stage. Would like to finish up before the rains (I hope, we're dry) get here Friday. We'll see how tought the remaining cuts will be. Should be fun.
                            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I was just trying to envision the next row and I think go to a third of a brick versus half of a brick, that seems to leave a lot of gap under the brick. These angles are going to be fun as well, at least there are less of them.
                              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I was just trying to envision the next row and I think go to a third of a brick versus half of a brick, that seems to leave a lot of gap under the brick. These angles are going to be fun as well, at least there are less of them.
                                Nothing a little mortar won't take care of!

Good work.

You are so close!!
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X