PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Thanks again Bingham. Looks like S is a winner, unless of course Dmun say's "No."

Badger, I am only using perlite and mortar, 5 to 1 for the outer shell. I didn't use Portland afterall. I think it was dutchoven that told me to use type N instead of portland since it holds up better on the verticals. Once I was up on top, I used type S.

I bought some used red firebrick splits, and hopefully tomorrow I can cover the top of the dome with them, then seal the dome with water sealant. (I have to hurry, I heard a rumor that rain is on its way)

Then I get to decide what to do with the bottom block wall. I'm leaning toward stuccoing it, then painting it.....I think its gonna be blue, it might give it a nice contrast from the red bricks.

Time for me to find some threads that discuss stucco techniques, cause I've never done that either.

I'd love to post photos of my progress, but they post so small, that you can't even tell what you're looking at. One day I'll figure it out.
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Pizzajnky

We need photos - hopefully you can figure it out...

I am planning on stuccoing the dome and pouring a concrete counter around the oven. My plan for the bottom is stone veneer. They have some you can special order from HD or Lowes. They just "mortar" on and then you point the joints. Not sure how expensive but I think the look will be worth it.

Keep us posted.
      Dick

Comment

Mortar mix is mostly sand. You don't want that in your insulation layer. "Stick" with the portland.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Badger, I have a pamphlet from Lowes for a product called Castaic thin brick. I love the stuff, but have not checked on a price yet. Per the pamphlet, they are very affordable. I'd have gone this route too, but since the top is already brick, I think I'll stucco the bottom. Sounds like your oven will be the opposite of mine...

I wish I had room for the concrete counter around my oven. My next oven will have a larger block wall.

Comment

Dmun....Ouch!!!!

I already completed the insulation layer with mortar. I guess I should add some more insulation layer, this time with portland mixed with the perlite.

Comment

Here's a quick primer on mortar types:

Masonry

Google has much, much more.

I just used type "s" in the quickcrete bags for my masonry and brick laying. The only thing that's slightly irritating is that every bag seemed to cure to a slightly different color.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
                Dmun....Ouch!!!!

I already completed the insulation layer with mortar. I guess I should add some more insulation layer, this time with portland mixed with the perlite.
                Did you use Type N mortar mix...already with sand included?... or did you go to the brick yard and get just the Type N masonry mortar?...Type N is 1 part portland cement and 1 part hydrated lime...comes in bags just like portland cement and you can use it to mix a wide array of masonry mortars...the higher amount of lime makes it stickier...so I think you will be OK
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
                  My question is what method should I use to stick the splits to the top of the perlite/mortar insulation?

My plan was just to use regular type S mortar to hold the splits in place.
                  Again, JNKY...type N would be a better way to go...excellent on vertical surfaces and used extensively in doing veneer work...so just what you need I think
                  My $0.02
                  Dutch
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Here is a photo of my progress to date.

Sorry that the photo is hard to look at, I can't figure out how to make it a large photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5138.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	271006

Comment

Have you got two small archways beside the entrance arch there? Nice, it looks really cool! I love new variations... what are they for?

Could someone please teach Pizzajunky to post bigger photos? I want to see that oven!
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Francis. Yes, there are small arches next to the entrance arch. I got the idea for them by looking at Virgino's finished oven photos. When ever I bbq, I usaully have a really cold beverage, so I figured...I can put my beverages, olive oil etc within those two arch areas while making pizzas.

The area inside the arch is one square foot, by 12 inches high.

Comment

Working...
                        X