39" Pompei build in NH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marc,
    Actually, under the old forum, you were eligible to be promoted to "peasant" @ 25 posts. It would have done it automatically. I'm not sure if it has been implemented, but Alex was going to see if they could enable Russell and me to be able to manually change the rank. I'll look back in to it when I get back to the desk top this evening. I wouldn't dare try any major moves from the iPhone lol.
    Last edited by Gulf; 09-25-2017, 07:05 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was just kidding with the promotion for cooking a pizza so don't spend a minute trying to figure it out. I don't mind being a pizza cooking Serf!!

Comment

Here is the link to the various experience tiers. FB use to give various premiums at different levels. With the change in management structure, I am not sure if this is still the case but I know some members have been able to reach out to FB directly and get the "prizes". But as Gulf mentioned that FB is looking at giving the moderators the ability to modify experience levels. IMHO, lots of posts does not necessarily equates to lots of good experience/advice though....LOL

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...bership-levels
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell,

Marc, it was no problem. However, it seems that us member mods are still not enabled to make the change in levels. I would pass on "peasant". But, do contact Alex_FB when you get to 250 posts (Journeyman). That's where the free stuff starts .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf is correct! We're still working on member mods at the moderator levels, but if you just shoot me a message once you reach Journeyman, I'll be more than happy to hop in and get everything updated for ya. Oh and yes, the membership level items are still valid found here https://community.fornobravo.com/for...bership-levels

Comment

Nice! Thanks Gulf, Russell and Alex. Only 186 more posts!!!

Comment

Was working on my chimney. Going for the spiral brickwork which I saw somewhere on here I think and really liked it. I am even starting to like the look of the old inconsistently sized brick I have to use. I wasn't sure going in what it would look like. Gives it some character. But.......bit of a set back yesterday. I accidently leaned on my flue and broke the bottom mortar joint. Not too pleased with myself and the vocabulary got PG-13 but I guess it's for the best since it couldn't have been a strong bond to begin with. Better now than in another 10 or 12 courses and not being able to get in there to fix it very easily.

Brings me to the question of strength of that joint: Is it typically pretty week and I just need to be more careful or is there something stronger I should be using?

I just used my homebrew first time. Just bought some Stove & Fireplace Cement & Mortar that's good to 2000 F. Something better?

Thanks
                Marc

Pic of the progress (chimney brick) and Lost progress (no flue)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	401522

Comment

There are prizes?

Like the spiral.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Haven't done a lot on the oven but I have cooked pizza a few times. I'm half way on my chimney. Hope to get finished this weekend. My wif e isn't crazy about the spiral but I like it and I think she'll come around when it's back to square. Won't look so crooked. Going to finish the base with 225 yr old barnboard and beams. Hopefully it will stay the dark brown for a while befor turning gray. I like the gray look also so I'll be happy either way. Made myself a turning peel also. $10 piece of 16 gauge aluminium and a $1.72 mop that I used the handle from. Couple rivets later and I saved myself $80-$100.

Pics of progress, barn board and turning peel

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	401665Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	401667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	401666
                    Last edited by ML38; 10-05-2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

finished the chimney for this year. Will add more once I figure out how I'm going to do the pergola over it. Only have the barn board facade and back filling behind it left before the snow flies.

Really happy with how the spiral came out and my wife did come around and now really likes it.

Pizza cooking is going well with only one near calzone candidate and I see one little crack in the dome which surprises me since I used old firebrick. I expected more.

Name:	IMG_1880.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	401704

Comment

I have the door mostly done. 1 " ceramic blanket behind the oak front. need some sort of trim around the edge to hide the sheet metal from the front and some handles.

Is 1 " CFB enough"???

Name:	IMG_1881.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	401709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	401708Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	401707

Comment

1" should be just fine. The blanket protects the oak. But, the oak is still working as a second string insulator.

Comment

Anything north of 300 C and you may find the wood wil burn. The main problem is the wood sitting on the hot floor. 300 C is hotter than you need for roasting or baking anyway, just don’t expect to be able to place the door at pizza temperature, leave it there til morning in an effort to hold all that heat. You’ll probably find the door will be charcoal from the bottom up.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Anything north of 300 C and you may find the wood wil burn. The main problem is the wood sitting on the hot floor.
                              david, although I haven't put it on yet, I have insulated rope that will run along the edges and top to get a good seal along the door jamb and then along the bottom between the floor and the door. I don't have a picture yet but the sheet metal wraps the wood on all sides so the wood will be insulated by the rope and then two layers of the sheet metal......and like you said, I won't be putting the door in place with fullpizza temps

Comment

Hey, just noticed I'm not a Serf anymore!

Comment

Working...
                                X