Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice to see the dome clear. FYI, if you want to brown the top of the pizza more without cooking the bottoms more, do what we call doming, slide the turning peel under the pizza and raise it up towards the top of the dome where it is really hot, it will be like an oven broiler and carmelize all the top in quick fashion.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Got all the way up to temp and cleared the dome, no moisture on the inside of my tarp. Does that mean the oven is cured enough to do an outer layer around my insulation?

Photo 1: cookies are so much better out of a pizza oven
    Photo 2: the dome starting to clear
    Photo 3: first pizza
    Photo 4: more pizza
    Photo 5: hairline crack on the arch, going up to flue

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Good Job looking good...its a fun item to use and your one of the few that has one of these bad boys....enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• mintee
    replied
    Originally posted by slschoming View Post
    It has not been cooling nearly as quickly as I expected.
    I'd call that success, one of the main points of me building this is to create a 3 day cooking schedule based off one initial firing.

Friday Evening - Pizza
    Saturday Morning - Breads
    Saturday Evening - Roasted Things
    Sunday - Slow Cooked Stews, Sauces, etc. (Oh man, Sunday Gravy and meatballs sounds AMAZING)

Originally posted by slschoming View Post
    I was getting readings in the 500s at the top, but the walls were still down in the 300 range.
    Equilibrium requires time, you haven't hit the upper threshold yet, so the tops of the fire is heating the top of the oven, and the craving for equilibrium has been dragging the heat down to the sides, thus leveling out after the fire if extinguished to that base level of 400. Once you start hitting the upper temps the fire will create (800-1200F) you'll start seeing a quicker rounding out of temperatures.

Pot roast looks great! This is so exciting!

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    As I continue to cure my oven, should I be letting it come all the way down below 100 between firings? It has not been cooling nearly as quickly as I expected. I am on day 4 of slowly increasing the temperatures, but It is usually still around 150 or higher from the previous day's fire when I start the next... It feels like I am driving out moisture, when I have a tarp over the insulation the inside is still getting wet.

I cooked a pot roast yesterday, low and slow (at around 250 F), then when I pulled that out I threw in some wood and made a small fire to ramp up the temps a little bit. During the fire I was getting readings in the 500s at the top, but the walls were still down in the 300 range. Once the flames were out the readings were closer to the 400 degree range at the top. I am still not quite sure how to accurately say what temperature I am actually cooking at when there is so much variance throughout the dome. I'm sure I will understand the nuances better with more firings.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    I burned a little charcoal yesterday evening... I did this after eating supper and didn't even have anything around to cook, I was mostly trying to squeeze the curing fire in before a rain... Then my wife had to run my boys to soccer practice and left my 2-year-old daughter with me so I got mildly distracted and when I was finally able to check the temp, the top of the dome (inside) was 340 F... that's a little higher than I was planning to go but I thoroughly inspected and found no cracks... The inside of my tarp was very wet, but I left it on because it was supposed to rain last night.. In hindsight, I probably should've at least flipped the tarp to let that moisture out??

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    I came out here to add a comment yesterday and the forum was down. I contacted the forno bravo helpdesk from their main website and they brought the server back up. Then later last night I noticed the whole forum was replaced by a different forum all together so I contacted them again. Apparently the forum was hacked so they restored to a previous version (one week old or so), so you might notice several days of activity is gone. Just giving a heads up to anyone who might be wondering what happened to recent postings....

Gulf Is there a good place to post information like this for members to be aware that they have lost about a week's worth of posts?

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Before you fire it up I think you need to either insulate around the flue tile or have an inner stainless flue pipe or the flue tile is likely to crack from thermal shock. Watch attached video.

Sorry, link won't stick. Go to youtube and search "thermal shock demonstration"
    Yeah, I will be wrapping the dome and flue liner in CF blanket. 3 inches around the dome and 1 inch around the flue liner is the plan.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Before you fire it up I think you need to either insulate around the flue tile or have an inner stainless flue pipe or the flue tile is likely to crack from thermal shock. Watch attached video.

Sorry, link won't stick. Go to youtube and search "thermal shock demonstration"

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G’day
    Why not cook a pizza in that thing.
    make yourself some dough
    build a fire
    have a bit off fun
    it’s getting hotter her in the Southern Hemisphere so it’s getting colder where you are
    that ovens ready,,,, you’ll not break it.
    Regards Dave
    I just have a few bricks (already cut) to mortar into place and I will be ready to start my curing fires. I am hoping to find time this evening or tomorrow evening to get that done.

We have been having above average temperatures so far this September. Today will reach 91 degrees Fahrenheit here. My buffalo grass is still green and showing no signs that it's ready to go dormant, which is pretty strange for Kansas in September. I hope this isn't a sign that it will be shorter more drastic change from warm to cold, but so far it is looking that way.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G’day
    Why not cook a pizza in that thing.
    make yourself some dough
    build a fire
    have a bit off fun
    it’s getting hotter her in the Southern Hemisphere so it’s getting colder where you are
    that ovens ready,,,, you’ll not break it.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Getting closer but progress is slow.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    My build was done with super duty fire brick, so much denser than typical fire brick, so the outer arch and chimney are done with these bricks. The oven is not under a roof so exposed to the elements. So far, no issues with water, snow, freezing on fire brick, built in 2012. I have had more issues around the house with solid clay house brick spalling. So since you are covering oven I am not sure it is worth the effort to redo the arch.
    Thanks Russell, you answered my next question before I could ask it.. I don't think I will get a roof over it yet this fall, but hopefully next summer. In the meantime I was thinking I could put a tarp over it when It is not in use. I really like the look with the firebrick arch so I was hoping I could keep it.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    My build was done with super duty fire brick, so much denser than typical fire brick, so the outer arch and chimney are done with these bricks. The oven is not under a roof so exposed to the elements. So far, no issues with water, snow, freezing on fire brick, built in 2012. I have had more issues around the house with solid clay house brick spalling. So since you are covering oven I am not sure it is worth the effort to redo the arch.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    You will love the roof over the patio or even a standalone cover over the oven. Either, will extend the number of days per year that your oven can be operated comfortably.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X