Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    I did three layers, but not like the stucco schedule. The mesh that I used was spaced from the vermicrete. I skipped the usual scratch coat and smoothed each layer.. Between layers I used an acrylic fortifier bonding agent. It was also used to replace a lot of the water in each layer. Though, I used a stucco mix, (with some added portland) my stucco layer is more like a ferocrete.

.....It feels strong after the scratch and brown layers. Does the finish layer provide anything more than just a little more mass?.....
    I really can't say for sure. All I can relate is what I did on mesh spaced over vermicrete. I think that you are hanging stucco over chicken wire. I would go the finish coat if I were you.

Also, the tarp will be ok. Just keep it covered to protect it from the sun and drying breezes. It needs the moisture to cure properly. But, you don't need to keep wetting it if you keep it covered.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    david s I fought the cling wrap in the wind, but I lost the battle. I hydrated it the best I could and covered it with a tarp. Should I continue misting it for the next week or so?

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Gulf did you do the full 3 layer stucco schedule? Just wondering if I need the "finish" layer since I will be bricking it all in anyway. It feels strong after the scratch and brown layers. Does the finish layer provide anything more than just a little more mass?

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    You can increase the strength of the outer stucco shell substantially by holding the moisture in that layer for a week. I do this by wrapping the whole oven in cling wrap.
    Thanks for the tip.. Do you wrap all the layers of stucco this way or just the final layer? I just applied the "brown" coat today..

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    You can increase the strength of the outer stucco shell substantially by holding the moisture in that layer for a week. I do this by wrapping the whole oven in cling wrap.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Made some more pizza on Thursday night. The oven was still around 300 F this morning while I was doing my first coat of stucco. I didn't get all the chicken wire covered with the first coat, the stucco seemed to just squish right through. Should be able to cover it with the next coat. I cleaned my trowels/buckets and immediately fired up the oven and had some more pizza tonight, The still-wet stucco was cold to the touch all night while the oven was burning a hot 800 F.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Do you have a cap/cage or something similar to cover the vent as it sticks up to prevent it from being broken.......?
    No, I don't. But, (since the pvc bushing is anchored securely in the stucco) the weakest point is the threaded plastic on the vent's stem. If that does happen, I will just use an ease out tool to remove it and install a new vent. I'm at 7 years with the original vent.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Thanks Gulf . Do you have a cap/cage or something similar to cover the vent as it sticks up to prevent it from being broken off by climbing children or falling branches? I'm sure I am overthinking this, but I do have a 6-year-old who climbs everything.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Here you go.

EDIT:

I think that this configuration is a 1/2" to 3/4" pvc bushing. (1/2" to 1" would work) You just need to size the electrical conduit locknuts to fit the male threads. I used 1/2" flooring splits for my "brick veneer". I'm not sure what thickness brick that you will be using. However, 2 locknuts (one on each side of the wire mesh) can be used to adjust the heighth of the bushing to place it flush with the outside of the brick. Just thighten them down so that the bushing can not turn.

If I understand your question (#2) correctly, I would not recess the vent. I use my vent year round. The vent cover is fairly small and it is hidden behind the chimney. So far, I haven't even had one person ask me about it. If you can not paint, stain, or otherwise camoflage the vent cover to your liking, take it out and cap the hole with a threaded plug after the oven is fully dry. After an extended period of unuse or you think that the oven has taken on some extra moisture, just remove the plug and reinstall the vent cover for a few firings.
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    I spoke with a welder and sent one of my plywood templates and some measurements home with him. He is going to fabricate a stainless steel door around some leftover CalSil board for me.

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Gulf and UtahBeehiver

Hey guys, I am hoping to start my stucco layer and I am not 100% sure what to do with the vent and have a few questions.

1. Gulf, before the site got hacked you shared an image on here that has since disappeared that explained how to interface the pvc and vent with the mesh before applying the stucco. Could you share that image with me again?

2. Can I place the vent so that the top of the vent is flush with the top of the surrounding brick veneer, or does it need to stick out a little higher? I am still having a hard time visualizing this. I don't want it to detract from the look of the rest of the oven but I also want a functioning vent for piece of mind.

​​​​​​​Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mintee
    replied
    Aluminum doesn't belong in my kitchen. It's not as stable of a metal as stainless, and can pit and leech out compounds when introduced into an acidic environment. Also it turns a godawful color if used in a dishwasher with a caustic cleaner.

Oh, and then there's the hydrogen gas. (Mostly kidding about this one.)

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    It's a long story but, I'm getting away from using aluminum in or around my oven.
    Why is that?

Leave a comment:

• slschoming
    replied
    Originally posted by mintee View Post
    Yeah, I've worked in a pro bakery, and been making breads since I was a kid, but sometimes things still don't work out they way I want. Doughs aren't as easy as riding a bicycle.

Are you happy with your terra cotta chimney insert? I'm at the point now of ordering mine, and I really want the shiney Duratech listed here on FornoBravo, but I just added it to cart, and with shipping it's going to run me about $550! Yikes!
    Yeah, so far so good! I got the 8 x 12 x 24 (outer dimensions) clay flue liner from Menards for around $13. My local Menards didn't have one, but I ordered online and had it shipped to the store for free.

david s gave me some good advice in post #172 of my thread to insulate the flue liner before firing it up and referenced a video of them cracking/exploding if the inside heats too much faster than the outside. I wrapped it in some scrap blanket insulation and haven't had any problems. I will eventually brick around the whole thing.

I agree on the Duratech... I wanted to go that route too, more for convenience than anything, but decided that I've been spending too much on this oven lately and that was one place I thought I could save a little. I will still probably use $30 worth of bricks to enclose the clay liner, but it still comes out to be quite a bit less than the duratech double wall...

Leave a comment:

• mintee
    replied
    Yeah, I've worked in a pro bakery, and been making breads since I was a kid, but sometimes things still don't work out they way I want. Doughs aren't as easy as riding a bicycle.

Are you happy with your terra cotta chimney insert? I'm at the point now of ordering mine, and I really want the shiney Duratech listed here on FornoBravo, but I just added it to cart, and with shipping it's going to run me about $550! Yikes!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X