Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbailey
    replied
    I made some progress on the chimney, finishing the second row. I used the grinder to carve the necessary angle.

Also resumed the curing fires. This day at 350 degrees. It's not easy keeping the fire low, and lit, at this lower temperature. I was using charcoal briquets to start, and small firewood, trying to keep the fire in the target range.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    I am pretty sure I won't be happy with the results if my welding skills are at the comparative level of my masonry skills at the start of this project! But, then again, it does sound like fun.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by cbailey View Post
    Among other next steps I need to find someone to build me a door.
    Hey, you learned how to lay bricks - might as well learn how to weld too

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Thanks JR. The silicone flashing is a great idea. I'm not there yet.

After a few weekends away (my son was married) I was able to get the chimney transition started. I may not get much accomplished this weekend. The forecast is rain, after a week of perfect weather. Figures

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    We've got 8" double wall stainless, and I don't think it has ever gotten too hot to touch - very warm yes but I can leave the hand on it for a few seconds without getting a burn. It seems to be hottest right where it connects to the chimney. At the penetration of my roof there is about 1-1.5" clearance around the pipe and I used a silicon flashing to provide my water seal up on top. I have never seen any signs of charring around the penetration so I think all is good.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Triple wall Dura Vent Plus (UL 103 HT) pipe uses a 6'' DuraPlus Base Plate - 6DP-BP do a Google search, available several places.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    I need some advice regarding chimney pipe. I wanted to used Duravent DuraPlus 6' triple wall stainless steel chimney pipe. But I can't find an anchor plate. I'm not sure if Duravent makes one. I might need to go with the double wall SS pipe. To those who have experience, how hot does the exterior of the double wall pipe get?

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    JR - thank you. Based upon other tremendous builds on this forum, I have good idea of what I want to do.

Mike - thanks for the compliment. What ever masonry skills I have I've picked up during the course of this build. I wish I knew then what I know now!

I dropped the arch support and touched up a few joints. Among other next steps I need to find someone to build me a door.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Wow! Great job on the arch! I really like the clean lines and design you created. Looking forward to your progress and next post. With your evident brick skills, it should be pretty straightforward transitioning to your chimney pipe base plate adapter.
    Last edited by SableSprings; 02-24-2019, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Opening looks good! Now you just have to plan the transition from rectangular to square for your adapter, and how you plan on attaching it.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Completed the vent arch. The last full brick I used the grinder to take down the leading edge to promote a smoother exhaust flow. I hope to remove the form tomorrow to clean up and point where needed.

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Great. Thanks Russell!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    6" is the recommended size for ovens 32-36" ID. So your current opening is plenty big

Leave a comment:

• cbailey
    replied
    Thanks Dena!

Leave a comment:

• Denamontini
    replied
    Hi!
    I am not an expert on this, but I had the same question. I actually called Duravent yesterday and spoke to a tech support person named Nick who was VERY helpful. He was familiar with dome shaped pizza ovens and he gave me the technical answers I was looking for. 800-835-4429

Dena

Leave a comment:

Working...
X