No announcement yet.

42" Corner Pompeii in Coastal Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am seriously considering just scrapping the vermiculite/concrete mix and getting the stucco on right away. What is the best recipe for the scratch coat? Has anyone used “QuickWall” as a stucco?

Please advise!!! Thanks!

Comment

I used QuickWall - the fiber reinforcing should cut down on cracking (too early to tell if this will be the case). You can see the fibers in the finished surface so you may want to have a different finish coat.
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

My last post was May, 2019... here’s an update on what we’ve done...
        We ended up using QuikWall to form the shell of the oven over the insulation and wire. It was easy and has worked great! I think we did 2 applications of QuikWall— maybe 3. We actually couldn’t get the product in VA and so we had friends bring it down for PA.

Comment

May 1, 2019 we had a tiny fire— sorry that was before we did insulation...

Comment

May 11, 2019
            We added our stainless steel double insulated chimney (that seemed way too big) and it works great!
            My husband made his very first pizza and it was a masterpiece!!!

Comment

May 24, 2019

We contemplated back and forth about waterproofing the over and we decided on Master Seal 582. We had to order it and it was delivered to our local Ace Hardware Store. This was a really easy solution. We mixed it up and applied it with a dry brush.

Comment

The QuikWall/Masterseal combo

Comment

September 18, 2019

We became very popular amongst our friends and families! We were making pizzas— but the over looked terrible and wasn’t finished. I agree with everyone else on this blog. “If you start making pizzas before you finish the over— you will never finish it” ~ smart people on this blog

Comment

September 30, 2019

We applied another layer of Masterseal.

Comment

Scored some stone veneer scraps from a friend. Luckily for us there was just enough!

Comment

April 25, 2020

Here’s where the project stands. We still need to finish the top “countertop” and mosaic the upper 6” around the sides. We are keeping the dome “natural for now. We have a door being fabricated that may be done this weekend!

Most importantly though, this oven and my husband make really really great pizzas!

Comment

Working...
                        X