X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongo
    replied
    Originally posted by modified9v View Post

One quick question, how do you put the link to your build in your signature?

Thanks, Mikie V.
    User settings, 'account's tab, look for a red link, 'edit post signature'.

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Russell, if it weren’t for your warnings I’d have already cleared the carbon. I promise I’ll take it easy for a few more days... then, it’s on.

Also thought I heard the oven groaning when I got a little too hot too quick. I put my ear to the dome and I could swear I could feel it vibrating. I was not drinking, yet!

One quick question, how do you put the link to your build in your signature?

Thanks, Mikie V.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    It takes a while for the carbon to burn off. It takes a very high temp for the carbon to clear. If you are seeing clearing of the carbon at this stage of curing, you are going way to hot. Again, be patient.
    Any builder who says there are not "any cracks" in their oven need to go into politics or sell use cars. LOL

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Second picture is of the crack... hard to see but it is there. Still pretty warm after this morning’s fire.

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Thanks Ricky, it’s pretty cool I will say. As far as this curing thing goes, it’s a real challenge. Yesterday I was struggling to get it up to temp and then all of a sudden it took off. Got a very fine crack in the inner arch mortar joint. It’s not there at temp, but it opens very slightly when cooled. Took over night and then some to get it get down there. Today I took it very slow and was stuck on 350 for several hours... then two little pieces of wood sent me up to almost 700f on the dome... the floor was only 400f. The inside of the dome is jet black... there are these little crystals that form over night. So weird. I did block the entrance with plywood to help slow the cool down. Not sure that does anything, but tomorrow morning I’m gonna hit it again slow and easy. I’d say that my target temp is “X”, but I can’t get it to cooperate anyway... I will bring it up slow and try not to let it get crazy.

This is not easy to do... curing that is. I will say that I’m not happy with the smoke escaping from the front of the oven. During those short rips when the flames are really cranking the smoke goes up the vent. Winds are swirling at 7 knots... Next fire I will remove the stack and see if the vent is just too long at 36”.

The outside of the oven’s insulation is staying at ambient temps, which today hit 105f. Gonna be a hot summer here.

Mikie V.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Very nice indeed. I remember how excited I was when I started the curing fires. It was a sense of accomplishment as I stuck out my chest and watched my hard work get closer and closer to completion. LOL. You will be making pizza very soon. Good work.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Thanks... I was able to keep it at about 350f last night for about 4 hours. This morning it was still at 225f. I built another small fire and it went to 425 pretty quickly. I tossed a small piece of scrap plywood in and the temp shot up to 650f almost in an instant. Won’t do that again. Sure is sooty in there. I will go low and slow... no hurry here.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Congrats on completing the dome and insulating. This is where a builder really needs to show constraint. We have seen many builders fire to fast and too hot and crack their ovens. Take it really slow. You should be able to do some dutch oven cooking as you cure. The top of the dome can get really hot really fast. Just an extra piece of wood is all it takes to mess things up.

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Thanks Jr... I will remember this day forever. Wow... thank you for all the help. Man, I can’t wait to get this dude up to temp. Patience. LOL. You guys are the best!!!

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Congrats! I remember the feeling - I have a shot of my first fire as my windows background

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Insulation done, need to finish the lath... took it too 350 and kept it there... slow cool down. Gonna fire it up again tomorrow.

Man, what a feeling!!!! Nothing like it. Just a few whispes of smoke out the front (lotta wind)... Seemed like the smoke just wanted to go up into the chamber. I’m very happy.

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    B Valiant thanks. Yes, I did do the 63% thing. Dome height is 21” on the inside. Second layer of insulating blanket goes on today.

Thanks for checking it out, Mikie V.

Leave a comment:

• B Valiant
    replied
    if you dont mind what is the height of your dome on the inside? and how wide and tall is your opening door? did you do that 63% thing? thanks so much your work is amazing

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    That was very informational. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    How to Insulate, Shape and Lath Your Oven Dome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X