42" build in Michoacan, Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Nice work on the closure. Very well crafted. You could look around at a welding fabricator that may have access to a single wall SS pipe. Being on the ocean I would think there are some suppliers of 316 SS or marine grade SS pipe.
    Thanks Russell. You set the bar pretty high and I can only dream of reaching the beauty you have created in your build. I know of a welding shop about an hour from here that does do some stainless steel work. They dont have access to 8" pipe but Im going to see if they can weld me up the equivlent in rectangle tube from flat stock. On a side note, this area has alot of roasted chicken places that use galvanized chimmenies to exhauste their smoke. Im very wiery of using galvinized anything around food. Have you guys heard of any builders going this route?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post
      Very nice work! Are you allowed to get in the water? I'm losing my mind here.
      Thanks Mongo. I just briefly checked out your build thread. You did a great job. Im probably going to be borrowing a few of your ideas. Yes we are allowed access to the water although some of the other beaches in this area are closed.

Comment

Square/rectangle works too. So you need at abt (plus) the same square area of an eight inch ID round chimney 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.24 sq in.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The welding shop confirmed that they have access to 305 stainless steel 18 gauge sheets. I could have them welded up a 6x9 inch flue out of this material which would give me 54 sq in. Im probably going to go with a serpentine type vent with tie ins simular to Mongo's build. The fireclay I ordered online 4 weeks ago was supposed to arrive no latter then yesterday. When I contacted the seller he now says he can send it by the 20th of May. Needless to say I cancelled the order and will just do the whole build with brick cutting mud sifted through a fine screen. I also had two 50 lb bags of fireclay back at our home in the USA that I had planned on driving down last month but the pandemic changed thoses plans. Oh well, I have plently of brick cutting mud to continue.

Comment

Couple items, think about how you will mount chimney, rain cap, and spark arrestor (wire mesh works fine here). Cutting work for substitute but one builder recently reported that the mortar is a little more difficult to work with.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Couple items, think about how you will mount chimney, rain cap, and spark arrestor (wire mesh works fine here). Cutting work for substitute but one builder recently reported that the mortar is a little more difficult to work with.
              The welding shop thats making the stainless flue can also make the base and raincap. I hadnt thought about the spark arrestor but as you say, I can use use wire mesh. I can also report that cuttings are hard to work with and tend to set very fast however if you keep lightly tapping the brick it stays pliable long enough to make quick adjustments. Before I started using the cuttings in the HB I test mortared a few bricks together to see how strong it sets up. They held rock solid.

Comment

Today I finished cutting all the bricks for the serpentine type vent and arch that I want to use. Im going with 15 inches from the inner arch to the outside of the vent arch opening. The vent arch will overlap the inner arch by 1 1/2 inches. From the inner arch to chimeny opening will be 2 1/2 inches. The chimeny opening will be 6 inches and the arch on the outside of the chimeny opening will be 6.5 inches. I will keep the chimney bricks at 9 inches where they reverse direction for the serpentine type vent. This will allow me to overlap the arch 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Comment

Now that the bricks are cut I set them down horizontally on a flat surface to see how they fit. Everything looked good so I numbered the bricks and built the templates. Next I set them in place against the inner arch and made adjustments as needed. Once I was comfortable with how evertything looked I marked the centers of the bricks on the arch forms and took it all back down. Before I can start setting the arches I need 1/4 inch fiber ceramic rope that should be here next week and a piece of stainless steel tubing to seperate the oven floor with the vent floor. Here is how it looked dry stacked.

Comment

Its been a couple of weeks since I lasted posted any progress because I was waiting on some fiber ceramic rope for a thermal break. My thermal break is on top of the inner arch where I overlaped the outer arch bricks by about an 1 1/4 inches. I used 5 rows of 1/4 inch fiber cermaic rope. On the floor between the oven and the vent I used a stainless steel 1 1/4 inch piece of square tubing with fiber rope and Vcrete below it. I went with the tubing to prevent chips on the transition from the vent floor to the oven floor and because it looks really nice.

Comment

When I first started investing how to build a wood fired oven it always seemed like the dome was the hard part but I actually think that the vent and outer arch was harder due to not having an IT to guild you. I reset many bricks trying to get them to fit better but in the end I felt the pressure to finish and accept it the way it is. Yesterday afternoon I closed the outer arch and this afternoon I was able to remove the templates and clean it up a bit.

Comment

Looks pretty damn good to me! It's also handmade and you should be proud. When you have people over "someday" be ready for all the compliments.

Ricky
                        My Build Pictures
                        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post
                          Looks pretty damn good to me! It's also handmade and you should be proud. When you have people over "someday" be ready for all the compliments.

Ricky
                          Thanks Ricky

Comment

Outstanding... and I have to agree with the difficulty of the vent area vs the dome. I also reset bricks... you will love your oven and it looks fantastic. Well done.
                            My Oven Build
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mx?view=thread

Comment

Originally posted by modified9v View Post
                              Outstanding... and I have to agree with the difficulty of the vent area vs the dome. I also reset bricks... you will love your oven and it looks fantastic. Well done.
                              Thanks. Following your build helped me a lot.

Comment

Well done. I have to ask, how'd you get the flu form out? I used the same method and cut mine out with a fein tool.

I also used the same ceramic rope method and want to let you know it seems to be working great. Of course we can't know how it would work without it.
                                Last Saturday night I left the oven open after a pizza fire. In the morning I closed it with my wooden door and the oven stabilized at 350 f. My wife baked cookies while I was at the beach.
                                Monday morning the oven was at about 300. Monday afternoon we baked a salmon quiche at about 275.

A few weeks back I couldn't resist the temptation and closed the oven before bed with a good bed of coals still going. The next afternoon the oven was at 550 f. Of course the backside of my door was completely charred. Looks like the aftermath of a house fire but it still functions.
                                With your stainless floor break you should be golden.
                                - George

My Build
                                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Working...
                                X