Les' Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les' Build

I'm getting there - and it ain't easy! This is a shot of row 11 with the beginning of 12 (the last - big friggen woo hoo here). I have most of 11 cut - I just can't set them yet until they dry (I wash them after the cut). I'm hoping the keystone is dropping on Sunday That means the fire's of hell after the 4th.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      Ah, but what a photo. Very soothing. Time and gravity suspended; perfection captured.
      James
      very impressive Les!
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I still think it looks like magic... either that or trick photography.

Very very beautiful!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
          Super fantastic, Les! That was a lot of "using your noodle" as a friend of mine always said! How are you going to handle those little voids under that course at the door? You probably don't have to but with the attention to detail that you have shown so far I thought you might have a plan in place already!
          Best
          Dutch
          Impressed with Les' work I went to the beginning of the thread to see the progress. When I went back to fix my crack that started at the side of the door and went up, I decided to redo my vent opening and also to reinforce this void area under that course at the door. I stopped after two supports that went in the gap (to much working upside down) and used several thin layers of refmix to fill that void.
          I'll be real interested seeing responses to Dutch's question.

Les, did you appreciate the raise once college tuition was over
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

RC - I responded to Dutch's question (link #19). I really don't see a lot that can be done in that area other than slinging mud or hanging brick - either approach doesn't seem to me to be an improvement. I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).

Jim - I noticed your question about a soldier course - I didn't see a real benefit doing that and I was after the "perfect arch". I may be dead wrong after I start cooking, don't know yet.

All... thanks for the complements, appreciate it.

Les...

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).

Les...
              I agree with you, I'm not crawling in it again. My neck is still sore.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

I think I can avoid it altogether - I may have my wife convinced that she needs to be inside when I set the brick.

Les...

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  I'll take a look at it when I have to crawl in there for the keystone (ONE time only).
                  We need a photo of this. A good one with your legs sticking out.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Les, daughters also work very well for that inside the oven work. Besides being small and thin (excuse me, petite), which I am not......she owes me (at least thats what I told her).....surprisingly she slid herself right in and prodeeded to do the final pointing and cleanup.

RT

Comment

James - I think you would prefer a picture of my wife's legs sticking out

RT - my daughter just graduated from college - masonry is so not her

I may avoid the chamber altogether (and my wife) - I drew a template that may work for the inside cut - then it's just a grout bag from done. I ran 2 bricks shy of getting it done tonight. Up my brick count to 277.

Thanks guys!

Les...

Comment

Les, I feel ya...mines still in college and all manual labor is not her......try the guilt trip and yes, we all would rather see your wife's legs . (no disrespect to your legs, of course)

RT

Comment

(copied from the gallery for the record)

Kinda ugly - my mortar at this point is about 1/8 inch thick - cracks very easy. I was trying find the perfect circle (not the band) but some of the brick started to chip - good enough. I really think I will be able to set the keystone this week - take time off for the 4th - then bring on some major fire.

Les...

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                            Les, I feel ya...mines still in college and all manual labor is not her......try the guilt trip and yes, we all would rather see your wife's legs . (no disrespect to your legs, of course)

RT
                            Dude my legs are to die for!!!

Les...

Comment

Your legs are nothing compared to your brickwork. Very nice (the brickwork).
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Les,

Just amazing. The coolest thing about this is that once it's insulated, it won't matter in the least how much your mortar cracks. I think you've come close to building the perfect dome.

Thousands of years from now, archeologists will be convinced that aliens came down and lent you a hand in building this!
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                                X