X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should do fine.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Just some photos of how the chimney transition (as I'm calling it) turned out. It's difficult to get a photo that really shows how it's worked, but hopefully you can see from these that it has actually worked really well. Not the prettiest, but you won't see it anyway, so who cares as long as it functions correctly.
      Attached Files

Comment

jjnevis - wow! Great progress.
        Your chimney transition looks solid! I have fears of my own at this point worked about how much weight the arch can hold!
        Looking at this ... apparently A LOT!

Wondering if your throat isn't a bit narrow?
        Will the space draw well? I'm not critiquing - just wondering - I don't know the physics of this but I see other builds to inform mine and seem to come away with a wider at the bottom is better (to "catch" the smoke up the chimney?

Looking forward to learning more about your progress mate!!
        Great pace!
        Barry
        You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Barry, thanks for the praise and constructive criticism and in response to all the questions and concerns over the functioning of the chimney all I can say is that I'm pretty much winging it and hoping for the best. The only actual "design" element that went into it was choosing a 6 inch internal diameter flue pipe based on a general consensus of flue sizes for a 34 inch oven. I'm sure it will puff out the front a wee bit at the beginning when lighting the fire which I'm not too worried about, but I hope that once the fire is going and the flue has warmed up then it should draw strong enough to pull the combustion gasses up the chimney. The throat is a little narrow, but the area of the opening is larger than the area of the 6 inch pipe so hopefully it'll work.

It hadn't even occurred to me that the arch might not hold the weight of the transition cast and the chimney, but now that you've mentioned it - I'm a little concerned!

I've had a quick look at your build - a thing of beauty! Your brick cutting and mortar joints are fantastic, well done. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Comment

jjnevis Thanks for the kind words for a bloke winging it too!! Yes - the segmented arch (not a whole arch but one with straight sides as you and I have) appears to require thoughts around buttressing.

I’m going to - just to be safe. As I’m enclosing my dome in a structure (the aesthetic in me dies a little at the thought) the buttress won’t be noticed. But for those leaving an igloo shape I believe design elements of such a buttress should be considered.

mate - this is learning from lurking this forum - not experience. It could well be that you’ll be fine!

looking terrific!
            Barry

You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

OK, time for another update, mainly using photos. I've decided not to buttress the arch and hope for the best.

The narrow chimney opening seems to be working okay (as can be seen in the photos), I haven't got the oven up to temp yet, just on day 4 of curing fires at the moment, but pretty much all the smoke is going up the chimney, as least when there's very little wind. Trying to take the curing very slowly, being very nervous about cracking, but so far, so good although only at about 200 C at the top of the dome.

I'm also hoping for the best as far as insulating the heat from the wooden structure - there is as least 100mm of ceramic fibre blanket between the dome and any wood, so fingers crossed that will be enough, no calcs involved just hope. I'll keep an eye on any heat escaping out the front of the tunnel and may put a heat shield on to protect the wood above that, if required.

Planning on first Pizza party next weekend , hoping this amazing weather holds out!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, and it might just be me, but I love the noise the oven makes when the wood crackles while burning, a kind of really soft deep popping sound

Wishing everyone doing builds at the moment good luck and courage, if required.
              Attached Files

Comment

Couple more photos...

Going to slate the roof next week, so I can add "roof slater" to my new skillset
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jjnevis; 06-05-2021, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Looking good!! Are you planning on some type ventilation for the enclosure, such as a gable, soffit or ridge vent(s)?
                  My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                    Looking good!! Are you planning on some type ventilation for the enclosure, such as a gable, soffit or ridge vent(s)?
                    Thanks for the kind words. No, not planning on designing in any venting, the structure is not particularly air tight, so I'm assuming there will be enough ventilation through gaps etc, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by jjnevis View Post

Thanks for the kind words. No, not planning on designing in any venting, the structure is not particularly air tight, so I'm assuming there will be enough ventilation through gaps etc, what do you think?
                      If it were me, I'd design in some type of venting. It's an inexpensive thing to do and it will help, especially w/the heat generated in there. W/your slate roof, it's probably best to skip a ridge vent, although, along w/a soffit vent, they are the best. Even a front and rear gable vent would be helpful, although it may be a bit late for a rear one. Just a suggestion. Looking forward to watching your progress!!
                      Last edited by NCMan; 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM.
                      My Build:

Comment

Thanks NCMan, I'll keep and eye on things and there is a good spot at both gable ends if I think it needs a vent, which I can add later.

I've finally had it up to temp (over 400 C at the soldier brick surface) and whole dome went clear very nicely. Monitored the temp everywhere and all seemed okay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jjnevis View Post
                          OK, time for another update, mainly using photos. I've decided not to buttress the arch and hope for the best.

The narrow chimney opening seems to be working okay (as can be seen in the photos), I haven't got the oven up to temp yet, just on day 4 of curing fires at the moment, but pretty much all the smoke is going up the chimney, as least when there's very little wind. Trying to take the curing very slowly, being very nervous about cracking, but so far, so good although only at about 200 C at the top of the dome.

I'm also hoping for the best as far as insulating the heat from the wooden structure - there is as least 100mm of ceramic fibre blanket between the dome and any wood, so fingers crossed that will be enough, no calcs involved just hope. I'll keep an eye on any heat escaping out the front of the tunnel and may put a heat shield on to protect the wood above that, if required.

Planning on first Pizza party next weekend , hoping this amazing weather holds out!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, and it might just be me, but I love the noise the oven makes when the wood crackles while burning, a kind of really soft deep popping sound

Wishing everyone doing builds at the moment good luck and courage, if required.
                          A question: Is that a dual wall or triple wall flue? If single wall, I'm concerned about the close proximity to timber. Even if it was a double wall, I'd still keep the wood a minimum of 2" (50mm) away from the flue.
                          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Mark, it's a twin wall flue and the timber is all 50mm away from it. The only bit of timber I'm slightly concerned about is the bit directly above the center of the outer arch, but it didn't get above 50c on the full firing, and at no point did flame get anywhere near to licking out the front. I'm going to keep an eye on it and may still cut out some timber and replace with metal if required.

Comment

Good to hear. Sorry, on the photo, the flue looked hard against the ply. Good to hear you have it spaced.
                              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Hey jjnevis, a good looking build you have going there! Impressive! I'm also getting ready to start the curing fires and I find I'm over-analyzing (thinking) the heck out of this. lol. I'm planning on my first fire somewhere in the 200F range, but I'm wondering how long to KEEP it at 200F. I've seen videos from oven manufacturers that suggest to keep it at the desired temp for a few hours. But I've also read many threads where it's suggested to get to temp only for a short time, then let it die down and cool off. I'd be curious to know your method as it sounds like you're being quite diligent about your curing fires as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X