42" Corner Build in Southern Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Corner Build in Southern Missouri

The winter began lifting a few weeks ago so I was able to get started on my patio corner build. I have zero prior experience with anything masonry related so there are some internal doubts but what the he..! Let's see what happens. I will be borrowing heavily from those of you that have documented your efforts on these pages so thank you for paving the way for total rookie.
    I bought the recycled cinder blocks at an auction from a local college and though they varied in size, I think a grinder and some stucco will hide any odd gaps.

Comment

Comment

Looking good! A couple of suggestions before you pour...1) put in another brace midway back in your wood storage area-that Durock/Hardiboard is not strong enough to hold the weight of the concrete across that span without bending, 2) put in some shims beneath (or above) your 2x4 braces - the weight of the concrete will push down and make that a bear to remove when you want to take it out.

Beautiful site for your oven...you'll have the favorite pizza party spot for all your friends!
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks like progress. How will you make the lintel?

Comment

The conventional method of doing lintels is to use bond beam or lintel blocks filled with concrete and rebar.

https://theconstructor.org/construct...l-block/29496/
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Mike, I already have a 2x6 mid span under the duroc but if you think another upright in the center is warranted, I'll stick one in there.
              Regarding the lintel... I formed it with plywood and I'll put some 2x4's under for to carry the weight.

Comment

Run another bar in there, parallel with the one you already have.

Comment

That's how I did it too, but I poured the lintel before the hearth and I poured supports under it. Were both doing corner builds. I think it looks more finished with parallel sides for the opening under the lintel.

Here is my build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...build-chico-ca
                  Last edited by hillscp; 03-22-2022, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard Bluff View Post
                    Thanks for the input. Mike, I already have a 2x6 mid span under the duroc but if you think another upright in the center is warranted, I'll stick one in there.
                    I could only see the front support for the durock, so if you've got a mid span one as well you should be golden...just don't forget the shims
                    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks David.... I'll add another cross bar per your suggestion. hillscp, great idea with the vertical addition to your lintel. That really does look finished.
                      Mike.... I will remember to shim under the supports. I have a contractor helping with the pour due to a slight injury I picked up mixing the concrete for the cinder blocks. What an asset to have all of your combined experience. Much appreciated.
                      Steve

Comment

It's been a busy summer with work, family and other projects but I was able to get the roof over the oven project built in June. Our good friend and contractor had us on the list for months. We think it was worth the wait and will be a help to me during the rest of the oven build.

Comment

Comment

And...... Finally got the hearth poured last week.

Comment

If you’ve not already cast in some weep holes in the slab, do yourself a favour while the concrete is still green and drill a few weep holes around 12mm diam through the slab. Start with a smaller diameter pilot hole to reduce break outs and if you hit steel you can try another position. Breakouts are better on the topside of the slab to assist drainage, so the drilling is better done, starting on the underside.

Comment

Working...
                              X