31"/800mm in Eindhoven, the Netherlands: Design critique and build topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nlinva View Post
    Your granite front landing looks great! I have something similar planned for my oven, but in slate (and also with a simpler right angle joint -- I don't think I can do 45 degrees accurately enough :-)

As for the high temp silicon, Permatex's own website suggest that for even higher temperatures than the Permatex Ultra, you can use Permatex Optimum Red. Maybe worth a look.

For the rope, are you planning to put it right in the corner, or on the face of the arch, or on the side/top? I'm trying to think through what the pluses/minuses are of those options. On the face seems most straightforward, but on the side/top might make it less likely to get rope fraying accidentally enter the landing space, even if the silicon gasket fails. Not sure it would make a real difference, though.
    You are right, the Permatex Optimum red is higher rated than the Ultra Copper. I've not seen it before, it must be a relatively newer developed product, as the Ultra Copper used to be their highest rated silicone. Thanks for posting. I think I'll switch to it.
    Regarding the slate vs granite, I think you've made a wise choice given granites dislike for temperature, but coat the slate with a good quality sealer, to prevent fat and oil stains.
    Last edited by david s; 08-29-2024, 04:18 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by nlinva View Post
      Your granite front landing looks great! I have something similar planned for my oven, but in slate (and also with a simpler right angle joint -- I don't think I can do 45 degrees accurately enough :-)

As for the high temp silicon, Permatex's own website suggest that for even higher temperatures than the Permatex Ultra, you can use Permatex Optimum Red. Maybe worth a look.

For the rope, are you planning to put it right in the corner, or on the face of the arch, or on the side/top? I'm trying to think through what the pluses/minuses are of those options. On the face seems most straightforward, but on the side/top might make it less likely to get rope fraying accidentally enter the landing space, even if the silicon gasket fails. Not sure it would make a real difference, though.
      Thx for the compliments and tips. I had the copper variant already on order, so I'll have to do with it.

I'm planning on having the rope on the side/top and the gasket on the face. Like you said: sealing on the sensitive side, and having the risky part the furthest away as possible, close to where the other nasty fibres are going to be (insulation blanket).

Only dead fish go with the flow

Comment

Toiletman the build is coming along very nicely. It won't be long and you will be cooking too. My son wanted pizza to celebrate the last day of summer before he went back to school. So I made pizza again and now have mad 46 pizza in this oven. Hopefully I can hammer out the rest of my pavilion now that I am not working 60hrs a week and very stressed out.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
          Toiletman the build is coming along very nicely. It won't be long and you will be cooking too. My son wanted pizza to celebrate the last day of summer before he went back to school. So I made pizza again and now have mad 46 pizza in this oven. Hopefully I can hammer out the rest of my pavilion now that I am not working 60hrs a week and very stressed out.

Randy
          Wow man, you've been baking! I'm working on the diagonally cut bricks for the sides of the gallery... then it's time for the arch. Hope to finish it before it really starts getting wet and cold. Curing fires and baking is probably going to be next season.

Comment

A small update:

In between the rainstorms today I've managed to cut the diagonal topping bricks of the gallery. It was quite some intricate cutting, trying to stagger in the buttress as well. I also found out that the walls have become slightly too high, so I'll have to chop a bit off the already laid bricks... otherwise the arch won't close off the dome arch. Ah well, you live and learn... I hope I'll be able to put in some decent cuts and not ruin the nice look of the gallery so far.

Comment

Working...
            X