Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    The bricks should be moist rather than wet. Avoid water sitting on the surface of the brick. In order to get a good bond the brick needs to suck some water from the mortar. A totally soaked brick, especially with a further film of water on its surface will not allow this, so just totally soak the brick then give it a few minutes to dry a little.
    Last edited by david s; 01-03-2024, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TEDFB
    replied
    Mmmm the questions are building up..
    How long after soaking the dome bricks can I start building with them, and then how long can I build with them before I need to soak them again.
    Hope I am not being too much of a pain

Leave a comment:

• TEDFB
    replied
    Hi Giovanni,
    Did you have any take on me building on my floor that has a few loose bricks, as the dome just rests on the floor
    Best regards

Leave a comment:

• TEDFB
    replied
    Hi Giovanni
    I have got my Email and web sites cross wired hope this works
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Rossi
    replied
    I'll jump in since no one else has yet. Pictures would help. If you set your trammel so the inside of the dome is at the bottom of the soldier and you used a true soldier (i.e. 9" high), it stands to reason that the next course would line up inside of the top of the soldiers. You'll need to adjust the length of your trammel now that the soldiers are in place.

Also important is the position of the shaft of the trammel. Do a search for IT or indispensable tool and you'll find a lot of good info from the experienced builders who have made their own tools. You'll see that it's important to have the pivot point at the center of the floor as close as possible to the final floor height. AND, the center of the trammel shaft must line up in the middle of the dome bricks to achieve a hemispherical dome.

If your reason for starting with a soldier course is to make a flatter, Neapolitan style oven, I believe your going to need a different trammel set up or make it an adjustable tool, but I'll let others with more experience weigh in on that as well as your floor brick question.

Leave a comment:

• TEDFB
    started a topic Lip on dome bricks using a tramell

Lip on dome bricks using a tramell

I wanted to start building the dome, so on a small dry test I found that on the first brick after the "soldiers "the brick squared off well, but if I square the second brick it leaves a lip on the top of the first brick.
    Any ideas
    I also layed the floor with a sand clay mix 50 /50 and I found that there are a few bricks that are not solid, (loose)
    Would appreciate any input
Working...
X