BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Well I really thought that I'd be able to start the actual build yesterday but work somehow found it's way to the top. I decided to take today and tomorrow off to get a good start. At 3:00pm I was done with emails, phone calls, and trying to convince everyone that I was in fact on vacation and needed to get going... What a vacation!

I managed to set half of the soldier course including the right side of the arch base. Tomorrow will be the left side and maybe the first course.

I'm a bit miffed about the Heatstop-50 although I know that it is not the mfg fault but after I spent a ton of time getting my cuts nice, clean, and tight, so I would only need maybe 1/16th mortar in between them I mixed up a very small amount of the mortar (not knowing how it would set up) and proceeded to get started. While spreading the mortar with a margin trowel I noticed that the mix had rocks! Small BB size cured mortar! Boy did my gage peak! I struggled with it the entire time. Each time I tried to get the bricks tight I would hear 'scrape' in between the bricks. I managed to make it work and feel ok about the way it turned out but my worry now is that the mortar has already hydrated and maybe already cured. We live in a swamp here in FL. It's humid all the time and mortar does not humid climate; well I guess I should say it does. I spent almost 14 years in the tile and stone business; I've seen what happens to mortar that has been exposed to too much humidity... Nothing; it just doesn't set up.

I hope that all is well and it's just a few rocks; I can sift them out it if does end up setting. The good news is that I only used about 2 mixed cups for 50% of the soldier course so I should have plenty with two bags. I expected this stuff to be more sticky like non-sanded grout; it's a little sandy, although fine, and I had no issues with it kicking off too fast (I hope thats not a bad sign).

Pictures will be posted tomorrow. I have been going solo and my photographers haven't been around (kids) to take those all too funny candid shots.

Wish me luck!
    Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Good luck!

A perfectionist, eh? Nothing wrong with that though, it sounds as if you know just what you're doing - I would never even have noticed rocks in my mortar. As for the humidity, I thought it was good to keep it humid to begin with, and once you start firing the oven up, it will dry out really well anyway.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Frances,

I'm realizing that it's very difficult to attempt perfection with imperfect products . These bricks are crazy. I don't believe I have had two the exact same size, some are warped, and most have chipped edges... It drives me crazy I tell ya.

As far as the mortar goes, you're right. It is best to keep moist after it's mixed and set but in the bag it needs to stay very dry. Ive seen bags of thinset mortar mix up, trowel, and stick just like it normally would only to find the next day that it's just sandy and no bonding occured. The same effect as if it were once frozen. It kills the mortar.

I'm going to read up on how to post pics now and should have them on in just a few.

Thanks!!

Bill
      Bill,

Comment

Day One, October 18th, 2008.

After taking waaaaaay too ong deciding on where to put my oven I (my wife) decided that there were just too many bugs, misquitos,, etc. out in the back nature area where I had planned on placing it so I (wife again) decided to have it as part of our pool area thats screened in.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-3-30-08 045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	272748Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-3-30-08 043.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	272749
        The designated area is on the opposite of the outdoor kitchen.

Name:	CIMG0148.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	272747
        Now all I have to do is move the door to the opposite side of the column, remove the screen, remove the pavers, and then lay block. Piece of cake right?

More to come...
        Bill,

Comment

Day One-Part two,

I was fortunate to already have a massive slab pored a few years back when the pool contractor did my walk way down the length of the house. I asked if I can form the boards and just have them poor, they said yes. Score! I made the sidewalk 4" thick except in this area due to the sloping ground so I formed it up with 2x6's and they showed up with the cement that they use for roads..? It had larger aggregate but holy crap, it's almost impossible to drill through! Sounds like tempered steel.

Here is my door that was moved, plus plants, shrubs, pavers, screen, and yes I can make a huge mess quickly.

Name:	CIMG0156.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	272750;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0159.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	272751

At this point I'm exhausted but ready for concrete!
          Bill,

Comment

Congratulations on getting started!

Are you going to build the oven completely inside the current screened area, or build most of it outside, with only the important side sticking in under the screened area?

And I love the tropical Tampa foliage which obviously surrounds your place. My mother in law has a condo in St. Pete (her winter place! lol).

Travis
            TravisNTexas

Comment

It is not fair. I was typing my question while you were answering it before I had actually asked it! And you managed to post the answer 1 minute before I posted the question!

Travis
              TravisNTexas

Comment

Build Day Three (my notes say two but I cannot remember),

I was hoping that if I starred at the spot long enough it would start itself. No luck, guess I need to get going.

Name:	CIMG0162.jpg
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	272755;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0163.JPG
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	272756;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0164.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	272757

Name:	CIMG0165.JPG
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	272758;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0167.JPG
Views:	2
ID:	272759
                Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by staestc View Post
                  Congratulations on getting started!

Are you going to build the oven completely inside the current screened area, or build most of it outside, with only the important side sticking in under the screened area?

And I love the tropical Tampa foliage which obviously surrounds your place. My mother in law has a condo in St. Pete (her winter place! lol).

Travis
                  Thanks Travis,

I am going to do exactly that. The business end will be in the enclosure. I'm going to cut a 3/16" notch in my exterior brick (or what ever I decide to use) and run the screen inside the groove. I have 3 rolls of insulation and vermiculite to go on so hopefully I will keep it cool enough so the screen won't melt.

Tampa is a great place to live. The weather is great, especially in the winter! Having spent the early stages of my life growing up in Chicago I'm smart enough to know that I hate the cold and love the water; in liquid form.

I have about 100 banana trees along with avocado, mango, papaya trees. I also have a small garden with tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and herbs.... Come on PIZZAS!
                  Bill,

Comment

Build Day Four,

First course is set, leveled, and ready for rebar.

Name:	CIMG0167.JPG
Views:	2
ID:	272760 Checking out the position of the dome

Name:	CIMG0168.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	272761Trying to drill through that freakin highway cement! Check out the Florida steel toe shoes, I believe Reef makes them

Name:	CIMG0170.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	272762Blocks going up quickly.

Name:	CIMG0171.jpg
Size:	895.6 KB
ID:	272763 Almost finished.
                    Bill,

Comment

Build Day Four-part two,

After the blocks were set I decided to use a a wall bonding agent I read about. Yes I know that I'm going to pore concrete in each hole and it's not necessary but I was having visions of my son, his friends, and a football and a large pile of blocks...

Name:	CIMG0172.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	272764 Out of mortar and I'm done!

Name:	CIMG0173.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	272765 My daughter thought it was funny that I couldn't get out that easily

Name:	CIMG0174.jpg
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	272766 Rebar in, site cleaned up, ready to head in.
                      Bill,

Comment

Build Day ??? No notes, just aches and pains I think this is day 5, evening of Wednesday the 22nd.

Name:	CIMG0177.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	272767 Concrete going in the holes, rebar getting cut.

Name:	CIMG0178.jpg
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	272768 More progress, more rebar, more concrete. Love those 80lb bags!

Name:	CIMG0185.jpg
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	272769 I hate this time of year when it gets dark so early. I managed to get this done in just under two hours. Daylight is gone, heading in.
                        Bill,

Comment

Build day Five part two,

I remembered that I decided to stay out late, fight the bugs and get the rebar done since it supposed to rain inches the next day.

Name:	CIMG0186.jpg
Size:	877.9 KB
ID:	272770 Rebar complete

Name:	CIMG0188.JPG
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	272771 Yes I welded them. I could have wire tied them but hey, never pass up the opportunity to use ALL of your tools

Name:	CIMG0187.jpg
Size:	1,005.5 KB
ID:	272772Talk about making pizza with love! I was tired and getting silly.

Name:	CIMG0189.jpg
Size:	977.7 KB
ID:	272773 Ready for form boards and concrete!
                          Bill,

Comment

BIG DAY;

I got up early and got the form boards up.

Name:	CIMG0190.jpg
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	272774;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0191.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	272775

Name:	CIMG0192.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	272776 Got off work a little early, mixed the cement and putting the final touches on it. (cheesy photo op smile)

Name:	CIMG0194.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	272777 Done! Here comes the storm!!!

Name:	CIMG0197.jpg
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	272778 Boy Scouts paid off! Boy did it rain; we received at least 2 inches...

I'm done until Saturday; then it's Vermiculite time!
                            Bill,

Comment

Saturday the 25th;

[ATTACH]9450[/ATTACH] This is actually Friday evening on the 24th. The tent worked perfectly! Curing nicely and staying dry.

[ATTACH]9451[/ATTACH] That night I formed the base, mixed the Vermiculite, and called it a night. 4.5" of vermicucrete! Saturday it was strong enough to remove the form boards. I was too tired to take any pics during but it went smoothly. The vermiculite mixed easy; just weird stuff. I expected it to be more like screed mud but instead it felt a little rubbery.

[ATTACH]9452[/ATTACH] Concrete going in around vermiculite. Deciding on which stone to use on the base. I'm leaning to the one on the right.

[ATTACH]9453[/ATTACH] All the cement is in, troweled, and ready for a nice curing.

[ATTACH]9454[/ATTACH] Done, heading in.
                              Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X