Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Looks Great! I didn't realize you could get that much smokiness with meat covered in foil. I thought it had to be exposed.

Thanks for posting.
    Hi Mike!

I was very surprised as well at how much smoke gets not only on the bird but in the bird. The foil was loose, very loose so maybe that helps. My only guess is (without sending in a camera to watch ) that once the door is in place the smoke is everywhere and not layered like when the door is off. Make sense? The smoke comes out of the sides of the door from bottom to top continually. When I open the door it plooms out like crazy. My next one will be started at a lower temp and cooked longer.

Thanks Mike, take care.
    Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Bill,

Fantastic thread. I just read all (yes, from start to finish) 26 pages.. Yikes!

Your willingness to share information and the ability to communicate ideas, advice and thoughts through words and photos made this such so much fun to read.

Thank you for sharing your build and cooking experiences.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary!

Best Regards,
      Kory Koch
      Central Michigan

Comment

Thank you very much Kory!

I tried to follow in the foot steps of the many I learned from on this site. You can't have enough pictures, detailed information, humor, etc. I have made many changes to my oven exterior over the year (sounds good to finally say ) but still have a long way to go. Call me crazy but I'd love to build another oven; I have so many ideas that I came up with along the way that would be cool add ons .

I may add a small fire burning grill area that I can grill on while using the oven for pizzas, etc .

Thanks again for the kind words; I really appreciate the feedback and glad you enjoyed (put up with) the story.
        Bill,

Comment

Saturday night my wife and I sat out and enjoyed a nice fire and a glass of wine. Yesterday morning the oven was still hovering around 300f so at 10:00am I put in a 9.5lb fresh ham in a shallow pyrex dish covered in foil, shut the door and left it. around 3:00pm I opened the door and holy smokes it looked and smelled awesome. The ham was at 155f, the oven was at 250f. I made a very small fire (4-5 half inch thick by 8" long pcs) on the left side using red oak and hickory chips to get some smoke flavor. Once they were lit I shut the door and let it smoke. At 4:30 I opened the door and removed the ham. I didn't take any pictures but it was a perfect looking ham but tasted way better!

By far one of the best things I've cooked in my oven. It was so moist and just a hint of smoke.

I'm thinking a whole pig will be the next attempt. I have a party coming up; that would be a hit! I wonder how big of a pig I could fit in there? Has anyone attempted that or have an idea?

Thanks,
          Bill,

Comment

Working...
          X