Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Wow, VERY nicely done! And quickly done! I'm impressed.

    I love the metal rack you put in the wood/paper storage area to keep the elements separate. Brilliant!

    Leave a comment:


  • bbell
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark, great stone work!

    Well done.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Well I was able to get some stuff done this week. I didn't want all my "stuff"; paper, lighter, tuscan grill, rib rack, starter wood, etc.visible from the front so I put it on the end. I put the opening for the tools right next to the oven because it seems like I always nee also have to find some tile for the backsplash.
    Mark
    Last edited by exceloven; 06-06-2009, 07:21 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Greg, Been kinda busy, but I'll post some pix with the new prep area soon.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • geisen
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark
    Plaster looks great. He did a great job.
    And the dome looks perfectly round, good idea on the plywood guide.
    Let's see some pictures from a few feet back so we can get the whole view.
    Regards
    Greg

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Bill,
    I really wanted to do the double arch like yours, but in the end it didn't happen. I was going to put tile on my dome, but like yours it really won't be seen much since its built into the hill.
    I got a deal on some El Dorado stone for the face. The only drawback is that they didn't have any corners. So I have been mitering pieces and then putting them together before installing them. I'll post pix when its done.

    Mark
    Last edited by exceloven; 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Very nice Mark! Love the brick work. Our ovens could be siblings

    I like the plaster finish. Looks waaaaaay better than what I ended up with which is why I'm going to cover it with bricks.

    I'm going to take my Chicago bricks and cut them into 1" sections (long ways) for the dome exterior. It will make them go a long way plus no one is really going to be outside my screen in the shrubs admiring the dome. Well no one maybe but me

    Looks great Mark, you've done a fine job!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I found a guy that could do a smooth plaster finish on my dome, so I got that done along with the seating area at the same time. I hope to get the prep area close to finished this weekend. That will leave just the granite tops till I'm finished.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Dino,
    I think you are right. With the stone veneer on the front and the brick, mosaic might be a bit much. Besides the dome is up against the hill so its not really very visible.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark, that looks very consistently round! The dome looks really good. You've formed such a nice base to work on, I'd be great to see mosaic on it. But you've also got that beautiful brickwork on the front that you don't want to get lost with what happens to the dome. Either way, I'm glade to see you working on it and can't wait to see it finished, -Dino

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    I cut a screed out of a piece of plywood to get my dome fairly round.
    That's a good idea - wished I would have thought of it because I pretty much sucked doing it free hand

    Lookin good!

    Les..
    Last edited by Les; 05-19-2009, 07:58 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Its been awhile since I have done anything on my oven (besides cooking), but I have gotten a few things done recently and am hoping to keep going and finish the details.
    I cut a screed out of a piece of plywood to get my dome fairly round. I am actually pretty happy with the results. I am debating between using mosaic tile for the finish, which I can do, or having a smooth plaster finish, which I am getting a price on.
    I finished the arch on the wood storage area. Today I poured the slab for the prep/tool storage area beside the oven. Following all of the progress of Greg, Bill and Dino, among others has motivated me to FINISH.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Duke,
    I got my fire bricks in San Juan Capistrano. I live in Oceanside so it isn't that far. I think I paid 95 cents each. Let me know and I will get the name and address.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • mfiore
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    somewhat round, or at least consistently unround.
    I love that description!

    Leave a comment:


  • Duke
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark-

    I was wondering where you found the firebricks? I also live in the San Diego area.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X