Re: Mark's WFO
I didn't have enough time yesterday to cut the bricks for the next course, so I decided to build the arch. Now the tie-in to the arch starts. From what I've read this is the most challanging part. Any tips that were learned through your experiences would be appreciated. Any thoughts on how long I should leave the form under the arch?
Mark
X
-
Re: Mark's WFO
Not frustrating, just a little more challenging. Little pieces of sliced off brick work wonders for shims and wedges that don't need to be removed. Looking good so far!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
Well between the rain the last few days I was able to get a couple courses up. Its raining again today, so no progress today. I have found that I haven't had to use wedges the mortar has been such that I just set it a little high and tap it down. I imagine it might change as I get farther along. So far its been fun but I know the last 5 or 6 courses will get frustrating.1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
"Solidly built without tearing my hair out"... Very nicely put Elizabeth. Wise words I hope to build by. Now if I could only translate that into Latin, I could engrave it on to my future pizza oven.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
I laid out my shape before I started, which was helpful for me. I don't remember there being enough difference between courses on the string to worry about. I was worried at first about getting the outside gap even- trying to figure angles for wedges and all, but once I realized how much of it was by feel and look, I stopped worrying about it.
The string keeps you round and at about the right distance. Your fingers will keep you even on the front edge, and I eventually just used rocks and brick chips to keep my angle on the back side propped up. I used shims on the first couple of rounds, but I got tired of taking them out! The rocks and chips were a lot easier.
For me, it was more about getting a working oven, less about making it as perfect as it could be. Solidly built without tearing my hair out, you know?1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
I think you guys know what I mean. Using the string method each course gets closer to the center. When using a soldier course the top is basically the second course, but it hasn't gotten closer to the center. I was just wondering if that creates an issue I will have to deal with to get on course, or do I just start with the 21" string on the course above the soldiers.
Wooo, That was long winded. Anyway thanks to all for the help.
Mark
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
I liked the idea of having a perfectly (well, as close as I could get it) hemispherical oven shape. Which is what the string method will get you. I'm pleased with it.
Hum, you man not having an angle on the soldier course, right? Some people have cut an angle on the top of the soldier bricks, but its a bit late for that now (and nothing to worry about either). I'd just go ahead and use the string method fom where you are.
But if you're following Les' build, I'd wait for more advice - with any luck he'll chime in and tell you what he would do.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
I think you should make a template for the shape you want, and just use the string to keeps each course on track. Otherwise you may end up with a radius as the shape of the dome. I guess it depends on what shape you're after, for mine its an elliptical shape after the soldier course.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
The weekend was looking bad, (rain forecast all weekend), but I gor a couple hours clear this afternoon so I got the soldiers set. Went pretty well. I am planning on using the string method and was wondering about the first course after the soldiers. Do you have to make up for the first course? Hopefully anyone who has done it knows what I mean. (Les?)
Mark1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
Les, Thanks for the research. I am using Muddox bricks also so I am good to go with a light sanding.
Mark
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
I didn't want to lead anyone down the wrong path so I contacted H.C. Muddox - the manufacture of the brick I used. There is no glaze and no problem with exposing the cut to the fire. (whew).Originally posted by Bandrasco View PostI thought I read that you should not expose the cut side to fire...? I was going to alternate the courses (factory edge and then cut edge) to give it a cool look but decided against it after input from this forum.
Les, if you have cut bricks exposed to fire and they are doing fine then it must be ok.
Good question though,
Les...
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
Thanks Justin, there is a lot of inspiration on this site. I hope to start my dome this weekend.
Mark
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Mark's WFO
Holy moly, thats some tidy cutting you have done there! i cut my bricks part way through and then just snapped them, yours looks awesome though!
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: