Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I was able to get two courses done today, but I ran out of bricks! AHHH! I think the place I got them will be closed tomorrow. I also crawled inside for the first time to touch up the grout. Tight fit. Do I want to have the insulation blanket on while I'm doing my curing fires? Just wondering if I need to get that ordered quickly?
    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • mfiore
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I agree, that transition looks great! Keep up the good work.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Nikki, Good to here from you. Any new pix of yours?

    Leave a comment:


  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Now that's a pretty arch transition! Gorgeously executed. You'll be cooking in no time!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Les,
    I'm hoping to get a bit done this week. Long way to go but it's pretty fun, watching it come to the middle. You have a great vacation also.

    Mark

    By the way......Thanks for the advice about the droop on the right side. I hadn't thought about the height, but I was able to get it back on track quickly.
    Last edited by exceloven; 12-24-2008, 07:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark - it's looking great!!! No droop, you just got by the abyss. Enjoy the holidaze, it's all down hill from there.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Well I finished the the arch tie-in. I thought it would be clear sailing after that. Wrong! The next row was the one that needed clamps for every brick. Really slowed things down. Patience is a virtue, right?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Bill, I agree with on the slower process thing. I started the tie-in today and didn't get much done. The short days do not help! I'll try for another course tomorrow. Thanks to all.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Hi Mark,

    Looks great bro. Regarding the tie in, I really didn't have any more trouble or difficulty with that part than I did with the courses. It was obviously a slower process but I pretty much built the arch and course at the same time. I believe my pics show what I did. I got to the part where I had to start thinking about the vent and finished the arch and simply tied in the courses as I went. I've had this thing freakin hot and so far no cracks in the arch area or any movement at all. Just a few small hairline cracks in a few areas in the dome walls that didn't seem to follow any specific reasoning; they just appeared just as I've read they do...

    Don't sweat it; just remember that gravity always wins eventually so be sure that they're supported-locked in some way. Les' build has some great examples of what to do.

    Good luck,

    Leave a comment:


  • dbhansen
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Nice arch!! Keep up the good work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    We were in DC for a little over a week, visiting my parents. I'm glad to be back and starting the fires! This project has been a long time coming, and it's tantalizing to be so close to a workable oven!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Nikki, Where have you been, I've been checking your thread to see your progress. That's great you are starting the curing fires.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    My droop is infamous? Sweet. I thought I was just an unusually bad mason.

    Arch looks fabulous, Mark! Another step toward a truly stunning oven.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark - leave the forms for 2-3 days. In regard to the tie end - each course of bricks will "step" closer as you go up. Keep a good eye on the height as you wrap around. This is where many of us get the infamous droop. Go to my pic's, I have a few for this area.

    Good luck.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    as long as you can, or until everything is dry. My best advice is to not rely on mortar for the tie in, rather make more exact cuts and only use a normal ammount of mortar, if possible. I hope that made sense, I'm way too excited about Christmas to concentrate!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X