Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les. I just went back and looked at your keystone...did you just cut it close and shave it with a grinder?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Wow, that looks great! Ken's keystone should work there...

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    (well maybe not a radius...but close).
    It's about as good as it get's - you are building a round thing with square product. Nice job!

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • mfiore
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    That dome closing in looks great! Nice and round. Ken's keystone is great. I say go for it. You'll have a better feel for how you want it once you get to it.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Had to go get more bricks today and other things limited me to one course today. Probably two more courses till the keystone. I'm thinking of doing a keystone like Ken....any thoughts. I will probably have about a 7" radius (well maybe not a radius...but close)at that point.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks for the clarification. I was planning on the FB blanket,but always looking for input. Have a great weekend.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Oh, no, sorry. I was just using the word. From what I've read, the FB Blanket is a little better. I'm sure they're both fine, though...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Amber,
    Are you talking Insulfrax over FB blanket?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    It's a little more expensive to go all Insulfrax - Maybe $150-200 versus $50 or so. I think it's worth it, though, both for insulation and ease of use/hassle-free reasons. I can't wait to see how it turns out...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Amber,
    I'll order it tonight! I know what you mean after running out of bricks today.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,

    Les is right - cure first then add insulation. It might not hurt to order it, just so it's available and to avoid an I-ran-out-of-materials moment (I've been there!) but I put it on once I'd done a pizza or two. Let me wax poetic about the difference!! Looking great, BTW!!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Great! I hate crawling in there.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I have some gap there as well - not worried about it. It may take a toll after many, many, fires. My thoughts were that it may help in getting it up to temp a little faster. I just replaced the fire brick in my wood burning stove(last year) after 17 years. This thing is going for hours on end in the winter - WAY more then my oven will ever see.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les, Thanks for the info on insulation. Just trying to be prepared. As regards climbing in the oven, I agree, wasn't fun! You know how the edges of the bricks hit on the bottom and the middle bottom has a gap? Thats what I'm grouting, is that necessary?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,

    I don't think you need the blanket for the cure. You just need to drive the moister out. It may help in regard to retained heat, but at the end of the day, it's probably nil. The picture of you inside the oven freaks me out - that's exactly why I went the route I did - claustrophobia

    Les...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X