Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks guys, Ash it is!

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • RTflorida
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark, in looking at your photo.....you're good, floor looks great. let'em fill up with ash

    RT

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Let them fill up with ash.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Ok folks another question. My bricks do not have a straight edge on the long side. That being said there are gaps throughout my floor, which I think is probably normal. My question is, has it been discussed as regards the possibility of brushing the dry fire clay in the gaps. Any thoughts.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I did it and I thought it was useful to get the oven as high as i wanted.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I just finished setting the floor. The corners line up pretty well, but since the bricks aren't perfect there are high spots in the middle. I will probably sand it a bit after its firm.
    "To soldier or not" that is the question. I'm inclined to not soldier. It just seems easier to me. That doesn't mean I can't be convinced otherwise. Any input as to whether someone wishes they had, or someone who did and now feel it doesn't really matter. Thanks to all.
    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I agree with Elizabeth. So far, my problems have come mostly with cleaning it. Granted I'm still at 'practice' stage...

    Leave a comment:


  • egalecki
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    If you're setting your bricks on top of the dry sand/fireclay mix, you should be able to get them reasonably flat. Perfection is not necessary. If it were, I suspect the bricks would be made a bit more carefully!

    I have some high spots, but nothing catches my peel. The only problem it creates is when I need to scrape crap off the floor, it's a bit hard to get it all.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I thought I read that you should not expose the cut side to fire...? I was going to alternate the courses (factory edge and then cut edge) to give it a cool look but decided against it after input from this forum.

    Les, if you have cut bricks exposed to fire and they are doing fine then it must be ok.

    Good question though,

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    the brick exterior has a glaze that is stronger than the interior of the brick..
    I know this is true with decorative brick - I don't think there is a glaze on firebrick. If that were the case - we should not be cutting them in half and exposing the cut to fire. To my knowledge, the fireclay/magic potion, is mixed up, poured into molds, wire screeded, then fired. You can cut/grind them ten way's to Sunday and you will see the same product - brick stuff...

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I wouldn't recommend sanding the floor. I did sand mine. I think Dmun pointed out that the brick exterior has a glaze that is stronger than the interior of the brick. My floor was only a bit off in a couple of spots. Its easy to get carried away with a belt sander. My floor is pitted and not looking too great, I believe because of the sanding.

    I'd purchase a peel and try sliding it across the floor. If you hit a real high spot - sand it.
    Last edited by gjbingham; 12-10-2008, 09:52 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les,
    Thanks. That's what I'll do. That way it will be much flatter and I won't have to worry about every edge being perfect when I lay them. 60 grit sound right?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,

    I sanded mine, it's not that bad. In regard to scratches, no worse then the grit of the bricks or the marks from the wire that cut them. I prefer the imperfections over the chip in the brick you can get if you catch the edge of the peel. JMO

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I was able to get my floor cut this afternoon, I'm a little apprehensive about setting it. Is it pretty difficult to get it very flat (no high edges)? Have many of you belt sanded your floor. I have no problem sanding it if it works well. Does it scratch the bricks a lot?

    Thanks, Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    What good's the forum if we can't mess up for you!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X