Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Amber, That sounds like plenty of time since they will all be cut and ready to set. Leaving now to go pick up my bricks. Starting to get exciting.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Oh! And congratulations on reaching this step! It's all downhill from there because you can actually see the thing being created!

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    If I remember correctly, it's maybe 30-45 minutes. One way or the other - you have plenty of time to set them out and then use a rubber mallet on the whole thing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Breven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Hey Mark-

    Remember, there is no cement in this mixture- it doesn't set up like you think. It's more like playdough with sand in it. You'd need to work really, really slow for it to dry before you finish setting the floor.

    If you are worried, spread the mixture a little at a time- maybe a foot or so, lay some brick then spread another foot or so and lay some more until you are done. That's how I did it.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks guys, I have a question about my next step. How fast does the fireclay and sand mix set up. Will I have time to spread the whole floor and still make sure all the bricks are even.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by Justin View Post
    Besides its a chemical reaction that sets it, so it doesn't really need air for it to dry.
    It is true that it is a chemical reaction. But in order for it to dry, the water needs to evaporate ? that?s where the air comes into play. Here is a short article about the subject.

    Professionals trust for innovative carpet cleaning solutions, odor removal, air filtration, and water damage restoration.


    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • Justin
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark i would suggest covering it and keeping it dry, the stuff is pretty porous and you don't want it getting full of water. Besides its a chemical reaction that sets it, so it doesn't really need air for it to dry.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    James,
    The science still stands! It did take exactly two bags but I only bought one the first time and had to run back to HD to buy a second bag.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Hi Mark,

    I used the same mix; it just took a few days and really didn't shrink. It was firm but soft enough to dig into. It doesn't get hard like concrete, well at least mine didn't.

    Looks like you're off to a great start!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les,
    It took a minute to understand! I have air to ONLY the top surface, because of the way I poured. That makes sense.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    I got the insulating layer poured today. I was surprised it took EXACTLY two bags of vermiculite. I wasn't short and had zero leftover.

    Mark
    I don't believe you. It's been scientifically proven to be impossible to actually buy the correct amount of any building material the first time. :-)

    James

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les,
    Thanks for the reply, I can always count on you. Yes, I used 5/1 mix. There definitely won't be a freeze, maybe a few sprinkles. Any idea on time to set up.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark - did you use the 5/1 mix? The fact that you only have air exposed to the top surface, I would think it will take longer than normal to dry. In regard to covering it, only if it's going to freeze or rain. I don't think the stuff is prone to crack (mine didn't anyway)

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • DrakeRemoray
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by amber View Post
    I have that same bucket! Now my question is what to do with the brick bits and my leftover 1/2 bricks...
    I still have some of those brick pieces, a sample of the vermiculite concrete and a sample of the casting material I used for my vent on the potting bench near the oven. I call it "the museum", my wife says it is trash...
    Drake

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I got the insulating layer poured today. I was surprised it took EXACTLY two bags of vermiculite. I wasn't short and had zero leftover. I've heard it takes a while to set up. Any thoughts on how long I will have to wait till its set enough to work on, and should I keep it covered while it drys. Thanks all.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X