Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I have that same bucket! Now my question is what to do with the brick bits and my leftover 1/2 bricks...

    Leave a comment:


  • egalecki
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I built a 36", and I just went by the plans when I bought brick. I think I have about 7 whole bricks left over and a 5 gallon bucket full of scraps. I used as much scrap as I could as I went- and I tried not to get too far ahead of myself when I was cutting, so I didn't end up with half bricks when I really needed thirds.

    Leave a comment:


  • Justin
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Nice work MArk, it all makes sense now!

    Leave a comment:


  • amber
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,
    Mine is a 36" and I went through 165 give or take. I have a lot of scrap, too, so I probably could have gotten away with a bit less, but I liked having as many as needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,

    I believe I went through 275 brick. I did have a lot of scrap because of the cuts. If you are going to use 1/2 bricks - I would think 200 would cover it.

    Les...
    Last edited by Les; 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I was able to get my top poured yesterday and I stripped the forms today. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out I hope to pour my insulation layer early this week if work allows. I found firebrick for .95 so I hope to pick them up this week and start cutting. Any recommendations on how many brick I should pick up, I can always get more so a general idea would be appreciated. By the way its a 42" oven.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Bender board around here is 8' X 3" (ish) X 1/8" thick cedar (planks is somewhat applicable) - sold for use in garden edging or forming curves in concrete work or other similar applications. You can bend this stuff, nearly as much as you need before it breaks. Gentle curves are no problem. Serious bends are difficult. If you plan on buying some for a tight bend in concrete work, give it a bend test in the store and put the broken pieces back for the employees to deal with. Knots and swirls in the wood are deadly. They break easily.
    I did use this stuff to form the two bends on my corner installation oven. In each case, I broke the entire eight-foot section, even after pre-wetting and pre-bending, before trying to fit them into the concrete form. The last useable piece was the one that worked both times.
    A nice strip of formica would be a better choice, but you'd need to find a demolition someplace to scavange a bit from. No chance in buying that for a reasonable price at HD or Lowes.
    G.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Christo, I went to HD and got the SKU for the EcoForm Bender board. It is 230-230 and is $7.37. Hope it helps.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Breven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I used some bender board too in my build. It's wood, but covered in a vinyl sheeth. It's in the garden department. People use it to edge around flower beds and what not. It comes in long peices, maybe 10 footers. Very common here in C.A. at all the garden centers.

    Leave a comment:


  • christo
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    that would be great! in the garden dept at the one I go do, I see the metal garden edging and vinyl roll edging only. They might be able to direct me to another store that carries it.

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Christo, I know all Home Depots have different products but I have seen the exact BB I used at many Depots. Its in the garden dept. If you can find it, it will definitely be worth your while. If you want I can see if the SKU is still on the board and your local Depot could look it up.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • christo
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Bender board is definately not something I've seen at my local home depot.... I hear about it all the time on HGTV.

    Maybe the folks that invented it used to go on a bender everytime they tried to make flexible forms. or while on a bender they thought of it.

    I've got another concrete pour planned to pour curved stair treads for the steps at the end of the patio. I'll likely cut some strips of 1/8 inch masonite and use a couple layers.

    Your plan will sure make for a nice well for the insulation when you're done!

    My bet is it looks so good that you decide to turn it into a fountain!!

    Christo

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one complaining about the time change. It sucks! Go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, AHHHHHH the madness.

    I've always said that you can never have too many tools, and there is no such thing as too much attention to detail. You just end up driving yourself crazy on silly little things.

    Keep up the good work Mark,

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Nikki, the downside of my detail driven personality is my oven will take many months to build,especially when I get to the brick work where I have no experience.

    Dmun, very humorous, but its just a construction term referring to wood that is bendable for forms.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • dmun
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    What is bender board? Sounds vaguely obscene...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X