Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    Les, how tall is your flue? Two one foot sections? Will I be ok with my height?
    It looks like you have the same or a very similar product as mine. I only went 2 high and it draws well. When I first fire it up, I do see some smoke around the front. I'm not sure if it's coming out the front, or if the wind is blowing it back down.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Yea I think it will be fine. Dino asked about adding more sections. I wasn't planning on adding any more. Les, how tall is your flue? Two one foot sections? Will I be ok with my height?

    Thanks, Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    You had guessed 1 1/2" on yours so thats what I did 3/4" each side of center. I'm not sure if thats what you meant
    Mark, I should have been more specific - my bad. I went 1.5 on each cut. You have no worries, your's will draw just fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Another milestone Mark! It looks really nice. You can tell the pipe takes some work but looks great and makes a nice transition. Let us know how it's drawing and how much more length you plan on adding.
    Dino.

    Leave a comment:


  • Xabia Jim
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    I built my last curing fire today and got the temp to about 775. I noticed that the mortar coating I have the dome cracked (pictured). Should I be worried? There was no smoke coming out the cracks. The fire is still going so I can't tell if there are cracks inside the dome. Is this just normal? Thanks for any input.

    Mark
    Nice progress Mark, lots of cooking ahead!

    Did your outside mortar cracks telegraph into the inside brickwork?

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les,
    You had guessed 1 1/2" on yours so thats what I did 3/4" each side of center. I'm not sure if thats what you meant or if its enough but its done and I am not changing it. Lazy or stubborn (not sure which). But it worked well. Soooooo

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark - how much did you end up flairing the pipe? Looks to be around 1 inch / side.

    les...

    Leave a comment:


  • Ellie
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    It looks great! We may have to cut ours too....

    Ellie

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I had to wait a week and half for my flue to get here, gave me a chance to work on other projects. Les was right, that flue was very difficult and messy to cut, but I'm happy with the result. I built a fire and it drew extremely well. I think I have decided on the brick I want to use so maybe I'll have some exterior progress this weekend.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Looks great Mark!

    You're going to love that flared entry. We use ours as a fireplace as much as an oven. The flare allows better access and an even better view!

    The tapered chimney definitely works fantastic. I rarely get any smoke out the front and I have had some doozies a blazin in there. It's very cool to watch the air hit the coals, wrap it's way around the dome, and then up wards and out.

    Good luck on your build!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Mike,
    Yea, after all the insulation there will be no cracks. I too am copying Les on the chimney. I was just curious whether the taper helps the draw. From your experience it seems it does. Soooo I will taper!

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • mfiore
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    First of all, that's one nice looking fire!

    My dome cracks also looked like that. Now they are covered in blanket, and I don't think about them.

    I also used the tapered chimney. Mainly because Les did. I also recall that with a tapered chimney, the smoke vortex speeds up as it goes upward, thus helping with draft. Seemed to make sense at the time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    I tapered it so I could get a tiered look with the brick. I don?t really recall how much taper I used ? I think it was around 1.5 inches off center. I can measure it when I get home and let you know (if it?s not dark).

    Les?

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Les,
    I am going to wrap it with the blanket and then 4" of cement/vermiculite. One other question. On your flue why did you taper the second piece? Ok two questions. How much taper did you use?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    The cracks on your dome look pretty consistent to mine and others. If you wrap it with the blanket, I would think you are good to go. The arch brick isn?t a big deal either, doesn?t appear that it can slide down. Once you put the decorative brick on ? problem solved.

    Les?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X