• Show
Clear All

• Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

I used Onestoplighting.com

I just looked it up and here is the web link
    Fixture with Housing by Sea Gull Lighting : 9426-12 : 1STOPlighting.com

It's a Seagull fixture, 20watt low voltage, has a glass gasketted lens. I had to buy the lamp separately and I provided my own 12 volt transformer and wiring.

Sorry about getting back to you so late, so I hope this helps!,
    Dino

Leave a comment:

• Ilkay
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    No problem Lburou,
    They are 20 watt MR11 low voltage lights wired with "malibu light" cable to an LV (low volltage) transformer I bought at Home Depot. The lights I bought on-line.

They are small and fit in nice with the size of the oven and provide PLENTY of light.
    Good luck, Dino
    Dino can you tell us which website did you use to buy your lights. Having difficulty on finding these light? Do they generate heat ?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Those look absolutely amazing. I have to try something like that on my next firing.
    Totally agree. My wife went to Costco and picked up a couple this weekend before this post. Looks awesome Dino! The crazy thing is I have the book, and it's signed by Mary. Your steaks look like the picture on the book - great job. And your right about the grill - gives the oven a whole new dimension

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Those look absolutely amazing. I have to try something like that on my next firing.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Dino - Great looking steaks. I'm inspired to try some new things this summer. I have been busy but down to the punch list on my oven. I will post some updated pics.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks John and Gary. Gary: we all look forward to seeing you finish your oven whenever that happens .

I realized I failed to post the final product:

Yup, it was good.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Dino

As I mentioned months ago, I am in Saudi Arabia. Now because of you not only do I miss my wife, I miss working on my WFO!
    Althought I have worked very hard on trying to teach all my friends and family the proper cutting and mortoring techniques, the oven is still in the same condition as I left it in January.
    As for the food here in Saudi, it could use a little or a lot of wine to make it enjoyable.

Well now that I have blown off some steam, boy does that flank steak look good!

Keep up with the posts.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Dino,

The flank steak looks scrumptious! Great reason to have a party last saturday, BTW.

John

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Raffy: I always check out your resort on FB: The Philippines is rising fast in my bucket list...

Last Saturday (Rapture Day!) we decided to have a WFO event since we were pretty sure we'd be staying here on Earth and decided to fire up the Pizza Oven and made Rolled-Stuffed Flank Steak from a great cookbook: WOOD-FIRED COOKING by Mary Karlin. First I "blistered" peppers in embers:

Then pealed them and stacked them on the flank steak with Fontina, spinach, the peppers, Parlsey-Garlic-lemon gremolata:

Then rolled them up:

Then cooked:

Here's the link to a few more pics of the event
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747...ledFlankSteak#

I've never roasted peppers right on the embers but it worked FANTASTICALLY well and they had a smokiness I've never experienced before (using bbq or oven burners). The dish presented well and tasted great.

BTW: the warm pizza oven was used the next day for lamb shanks for us (anchovie/olive/tomato marinade) and after a break today, I'll add a few more logs tomorrow for "beer-can chicken" for a mid-week neighborhood party. Once these things heat up and you put the door on it, you can keep cooking and cooking...

The Tuscan grill really does expand what you can do in the wfo.
    -dino
    Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Dino, check-out our fb page for lots more photos =>Stonehouse Gardens Resort | Facebook

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Iwood, well you deserve it for making me 'vacation-sick' every time you post a pic of great food and beautiful Philippines views of your place . You're on my bucket list of places to see.

You an I think alike Bill, it's all about the food isn't it? I did 2 ducks at once in December and everyone loved them. Similar to turkey, it seems the ducks assertive skin & meat take well to the wfo since it picks up the smoke that's naturally created. I have a feeling from my last 2 official 'smokings' that regular oven roasting (duck, chix, roasts etc...) might benefit from a small amount of just clipped fruit wood (not dry chips, may be too smokey for a roast) to add nuance to the roasting. The duck confit I did was 'confi'd' in my kitchen but re-heated later in the wfo. I'd like to try it again 2 days after a hot pizza firing with retained heat for a long slow confit.

RE: the bone marrow, the head butcher was there and offered to cut them length wise but said the lower-level helpers may not be allowed to use the band-saw. If I had to, I'd put them in a vice and use my Sawzall, but thankfully he did it for us.

Porchetta sounds great. I'll have to check that out.
    -dino

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Looks great Dino, you had to throw in that bottle of Silver Oak.... didn't you. Making me home sick.

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

Thank God we're back to the food!

Those marrow bones are amazing and had never seen the like. I will stop by the afore mentioned high end grocer and see what they have. Well done!

I think you mentioned great success with duck. Any tips? Whole duck?

We've made a lot of prochetta this winter. Time for some poultry.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Last month I smoked a turkey in wfo and my pics and details are on this page:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/12/h...y-15122-2.html

The outcome was great but I learned some things for my smoked spare ribs last weekend.
    I kept the oven temp quite low: A slow fire (just small logs for 2 hours) and the oven walls were just barely 350 at the hottest. I used a dry rub and pan of water underneath that I'm sure brought the temp down to 250-300 thru the cooking of 2.5 hours. I used mostly cherry wood, some apricot and peach clippings.
    The meat was pink all the way through from the moist slow smoking.

Then we did beef bone marrow bones, purchased from Whole Pay-check...I mean Foods. The guy at the beef counter asked how many dogs and we glared at him and said we are cooking them for US in the WFO. He thought it was great!
    I overcooked them but they were awesome! Had them at Moza last year and couldn't wait to try it.

I put salt pepper and some garlic on them: We finished by having a dry-aged rib steak on the Tuscan Grill and threw in a few more pieces of fruit wood for some flavor...it was great.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Hey, that's really funny Chris! Everyone, over to my house for wine and martini's to recover from transformer/rectifier issues . But yes I don't mind being highjacked (it was a nice ride) but I spend all day (unless checking out the FB Forum ) on a computer drawing rectifier/inverters to convert DC solar to AC power then spec'ing out transformers to drop 120v to 12v (still AC!) for a living so I'm returning my thread to something that no longer blurs the line between work and wfo-play: Sourdough starter:

Tom: happy new year to you too! Yes, I still use that same starter. I ended up going weeks without baking in Oct/Nov so I make a point of replenishing or refreshing it once every 4-5 weeks. I throw out 3/4 of it (bad baker...bad baker...I should be using it for pancakes or something) put in 50-50 flour/water because the native yeasts need that much to keep alive and strong. If I bake or make pizza's every 2-3 weeks, it's usually strong enough on it's own, especially for pizza dough though I might 'refresh' it 2 days before serious bread baking if I need it more 'robust'.

Thanks John and Les. John, you're right, I'm not truly done. Oven door, wiring receptacles etc...I'm going to build a storage shed that somehow will 'compliment' the wfo structure. We'll see...

Dave, you've got me curious about checking the output voltage on my higher end indoor LV transformers vs. the Home Depot outdoor 'malibu' style transformers to see if they do say DC output or AC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X