X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Thanks Mike. Happy New Year to you and yours as well. Thanks everyone for you kind words.

I've been noticing posts about other foods besides pizza's in their ovens and that's a good thing. I've been reading Asimenia post on her piglet and will make that as one of my wfo goals in the New Year. I've been going cross-eyed all month hearing Johnny Mathis singing about 'chestnuts roasting over an open fire" and until Kebwi Keith posted it...never thought of doing it.

thanks again everyone and happy new year.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Looks great, Dino! I'm always amazed at the stuff you can pull out of your oven. Thanks for posting.

Happy new year to you and your family!

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

You're my hero with that build and that menu

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Awesome cook! Glad to hear everything went well! Good thing we did not get the rain til late in the evening on Xmas.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Dino,

Great-lookin' lobster pie! Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely gonna try one of these once the oven and kitchen are completed. Also, the more I see of your oven the better it looks! Have a healthy and safe New Year!

John

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

We had a beautiful Christmas Eve pizza/duck party in the wfo. It was 67deg and sunny and a real treat to play in the wofo.
    Started off with lamb skewers on the Forno Bravo Tuscan Grill:

Then on to Lobster Pizza. This was such a hit that it will now be a regular xmas tradition. It has lobster claw meat, fresh basil, mozza, parma and a very light tomato sauce that was augmented with saffron and white wine to sweeten it up a bit. Again, as I've said on other posts: I love using all sourdough starter since I can make it 2 days ahead and let it sit out a few hours and never worry about over-rising like I did with ADY yeasted dough.

The main coarse was 2 ducks and 1 beer can chicken but it all happened so fast (read: too much wine by then ) that I forgot to take pics. It marinated in black tea, a bit of honey and soy and I'd do it again. Oh well, Happy Holidays to all my friends on the FB site

-Dino

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Hi Bob,
    I've been on a road-trip to Yellowstone (4 days) then 2 at Grand Tetons and a couple driving across WY to see Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse which was surprisingly one of the most fantastic sights I've ever seen.

You've probably mortared your anchor plate by now. Your method is fine. I had no worries of metal flashing exposed on the vent chamber. It was a function of my wide opening and steep chamber that made it seem "right' to cut a circular flat area to sandwich my vent-flashing.

Haven't used my oven in almost 2 months however I have a boat-load of non-pizza stuff on my list to get to, really soon. My vacations this summer are over so I'm back to designing and making my 'real' wfo door.

I'll check out your site too and see how it's going.
    Take care, Dino

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Hello Dino,
    I hope you're enjoying your pizza oven!
    I had a question for you. Is there a reason why you cut the bricks circular to form a hole for the anchor plate/vent? I just cut all my bricks with angles and then rested the anchor plate on top. There is steel exposed because I didn't cut the circular brick segments like you did. But the angles do come colse to the inner 8" diameter of the anchor plate. Were you concerned with possible damage to the anchor plate so you put it behind bricks? I haven't mortared anything in place yet but will tonight or tomorrow...

Hope all is well with you.

Thanks,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Eric, good looking recipe, I'll definitely try it next time. The smashed tomato sauce is exactly the kind I like on my pizzas.

Going all Sour Dough Starter has really simplified the timing, especially for larger parties; don't have to worry about demanding yeast dough's over rising and petering out.

Your counter is looking good. Take care, Dino

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Dino,
    Congrats on the sourdough starter pizza. Here is a link to a recipe that I use and it seems to work well. The sails look great, I may use that for over my counter.
    Eric
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

This attachment is a "study" of a 36" dome and how it fits on a 3.5 block deep and 4.0 block deep base for Gene.
    It is NOT my dome but a pdf file for him to check out.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Wow, very cool shade. Thanks for sharing as your build has helped me alot and continues...

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Had 30 people over for our big pool party and now annual Pizza Fest. Last year, we introduced the wfo in steel studs and exposed insulation with a Sketchup Picture taped to it to show everyone what it is 'suppose' to look like when done. The oven beat my expectations and I assume everyone else's too.

My wfo location puts my back in full sun at 3pm in the summer months so I picked up this 8' "sail-shade" at HomeDepot for $30. It worked great!

It looked so nice, I bought a 17' on amazon for about the same price for the swimming pool:

However, the best part is I made my 20 pizzas using nothing but my Sour Dough Starter. I was interested in Jays (Texassourdough) method he described so I posted my experience I had with it here and recommend anyone toying with SD starter only to read the thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/10/p...r-13339-2.html
    I may never use IDY-ADY again
    And yes, I did make 20 pizza balls:

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Dino M.: You are following in a time-honored tradition of building projects: tell your spouse a reasonable time-line, how little it will cost and that you'll do it all and keep the yard clean AND not ignore other projects .

Seriously, thanks for the earlier compliment. I look forward to watching your build.

When I think back on it, I started digging footings in Feb and started pizzas 4 months later. My biggest pizza parties have been with the dome in the steel-stud stage, then with the cement board around it. End of this month will be our big annual pool party and friends will see the wfo in it's finished state for the 1st time. Many thought the cement board stage with the roof was the "finished" product and were impressed. Can't wait till they see it really done.

Elizabeth, I had to REALLY push myself to finish the SBC and stone work. I was in your same condition: I couldn't bear ignoring the yard and vegi garden. I just had to finish to move on to other things. Can't wait to see how your SBC- surface bonding cement went. I think rosemary transplants easily and I've transplanted lavender in the summer and it works too. Good luck.

Thanks, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Leone
    replied

Thanks for the encouragement. It sounds like I should concentrate on working on completing my dome and not get to caught up on the overall finished product timeline. As they say "One day at a time". At least that's what I'm going to tell my wife.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X