Ellie's WFO as it it built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ellie's WFO as it it built

Definitely insulate. Patience now will pay big rewards in $$$. Wood is expensive!
    I have about 8 inches of vermiculite/perlite over my dome and an inch of thermal blanket. Holds heat for days!

House insulation will not hold up. IMHO Use verm, perlite, or a thermal blanket.

The oven looks great!

Hang in there, the insulation is the most IMPORTANT part!

Dave
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Standard fiberglass insulation is a multitude of very fine fiberglass filaments (actually tubes) held together with a glue or binder. Not too many years ago that binder was a formaldehyde based resin; now more "safe" insulation uses an acrylic binder. So while the insulation is fireproof and will not support combustion the binder becomes damaged/destroyed by high heat and no longer holds the glass filaments together. The space formally occupied by insulation will become basically a dead air space and offer the same amount of insulating value as that space.

Here's a link to a site explaining about the binders:
      Formaldehyde-free Insulation

Hope this help clear up the matter of "Will home fiberglass insulation work?"

Good looking WFO! :-)
      Wiley
      Last edited by Wiley; 02-12-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Regarding the vermiculite insulation outside the dome, as Dave said, it's a totally acceptable way to go. Plan on 6 inches in depth at a minimum.

I'm curious why you cannot get the ceramic blanket insulation where you live. Forno Bravo used to carry it in the FB store (I think). You can find it on ebay (search for ceramic blanket insulation) and have it shipped to you from a store located in Portland, OR. Here's a link to that store: eBay Store - HIGH-TEMP REFRACTORY STORE: Misc. Products, Ceramic Fiber Products, Mortars and Coatings

It's not that hard to find on the internet. Here's another link.

HI-TEMP CERAMIC FIBER BLANKET 2600 DEG 2" THICK ROLL 8# - eBay (item 160271567590 end time Mar-10-09 05:38:00 PDT)

G.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks for the info, Wiley.

G, Redding is not that big of a city. We have looked in every possible store and cannot find the blanket. Thanks for the links. I could have ordered it online, but now we have decided to go with the vermiculite/concrete mixture.

This is such an interesting project. There is much to be learned.

Ellie

Comment

Ellie,
            Now that the insulation issue has been resolved, I'd love to see some recent pictures. Keep up the good work.
            Mark

Comment

I took these this morning. It has been raining all week so that is why the plastic is on top. Dale will not like that I took a picture of the bull nose when he said it was too wet to work it and it is messy!! I had to show you anyway, lol...

Ellie

Comment

Looks great Ellie, Is it still raining there. We are getting your storm starting today through Monday. Probably won't get too much done this weekend, Bummer!

Mark

Comment

Thanks. It is supposed to sprinkle all week. Says sprinkles not rain, but you know that can change anytime! The storm did dump quite a bit in two days which we needed and had some winds to it. It should be up your way today for sure.

Dale comes over in between the raindrops!!

Ellie

Comment

beautiful job, It's truly massive
                    sigpic

Comment

OK - Dale is starting to show off. He even has a "brick carrier", where as the rest of us walked around with brick rash on our forearms for a few months

Seriously, it's looking great!

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I know! My daughter and I watched as he used the brick carrier and were facinated. I usually haul them as y'all do and this is one nifty tool!!

Oh, and the fire brick pieces in front are standing out from the brick. Gosh is he talented!

Ellie

Comment

That brick tong is a seriously useful tool:

And while I was looking for it, look what I found:

A brick-set that might actually work! It has an adjustable stop so you can cut all your bricks the same. This might be a boon to our budget builders.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Nifty!!

Ellie

Comment

Very cool!
                              Bill

Oven Build: https://goo.gl/photos/rN6FhFSS2jzwfQuB7

Oven cooking: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vmPg7XXSbMwhdnD6

Comment

Ellie,
                                Your oven looks wonderful. Dale did indeed do a great job putting all together very quickly. From looking at your second picture, I recommend you check the gaps between the bricks inside the oven. It looks like they might not all be completely filled with mortar. If that is indeed the case, ask Dale to fill them. The bricks should last longer and withstand the thermocyling better if the gaps are closed.
                                GJBingham
                                -----------------------------------
                                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                                X