Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OctoForno

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post

Regarding initial break-in of the dome, any thoughts on a terminal temp for first fire? 350-400F maybe? All thoughts welcome.

John
    Looking back at your thread, it appears you closed the dome Feb 2012...is that right? If it has been protected from the rain, I think you can throw that recommended schedule out the window.

There may be a bit of moisture in the dome, but nowhere close to what a freshly closed one has in it. If this oven was kept out of the elements, I bet you could get it cleared in one day without any damage.

I can't tell you a temp to shoot for, because I dry ovens by eye....based on what I know of the condition of the work, and when it was completed. But I would build a low, small fire for an hour, slowly increasing it, all while watching the inside and outside of the dome.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Here's the link for oven curing (goes to the last page of the thread)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/16/o...ng-767-31.html
      Link to my build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
      https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Hi John

I intend following Karangi lead and using heat beads. Consistent heat without huge flames and more easily controlled, not sure what you call them over there. I get them going with a propane torch works a treat.

But i already have 6 bags used 2 of the 8 i bought on a Spit Roast.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

John,

I am a little behind on your latest thread but I am glad to see you back. By the looks of your vent arch, the quality and fitting from the dome carries on still. Looking forward to the rest of the build. I have referred many new builders to you tapered arch thought process. Welcome back.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There may be a bit of moisture in the dome, but nowhere close to what a freshly closed one has in it. If this oven was kept out of the elements, I bet you could get it cleared in one day without any damage.

But I would build a low, small fire for an hour, slowly increasing it, all while watching the inside and outside of the dome.
            Thanks for the input, SC. It's what I was thinking, but needed affirmation. To be sure, the oven has always been covered when needed but for many months exposed to the blazing socal sun, especially during the three-week stretch of 100+ temps. In other words, the dome is (and has been for a long while) bone dry.

My initial concern is how the dome and mortar joints expand from it's first exposure to real heat (kinda like ex-athletes now in their fifties, first thing in the morning). Right now, I'm committed to always bringing the oven up to temps at a gradual rate in order to avoid thermal shock, primarily to delay cracking of the floor as long as possible. The entryway may still have a little residual moisture in it, but I hope to remove it with heat beads (briquettes) and a couple of 500W shop lights inside for a day or two.

John

Comment

It is good to bring any oven up to temp gradually, sound reasoning there. Like I said, your oven masonry is dry by now, so the typical drying schedule wont apply . In all honesty, letting masonry cure without firing produces the strongest mortar, provided it is hydrated properly ....based on your attention to detail, I would say you wont have any problem there.

Sorry, if you mentioned this, but what is your SS slab thickness and is there a lot of veining?
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

3cm and virtually no veining whatsoever. (Pic on OctoForno post #12)I put the one vein in the front middle of the oven so I could replace it when needed but hopefully that'll be in a few years.

BTW, since I started this build (no real prior masonry experience) I'm hooked on working with brick and stone and very impressed with your skillset, not to mention you get to build stuff with real granite, not just the polished stuff

Comment

John,
                  Les's build was the Pompeii version of a strip tease that carried on for many months. I think you and your oven have exceeded Les's tease time.. I'm looking forward to seeing what you pull out of the oven. Anytime you need a bit of sourdough starter, need a source for Central Milling flour or want to try some of the flours that I'm using, just drop a line.

Again.. Welcome back!

C

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    3cm and virtually no veining whatsoever. (Pic on OctoForno post #12)I put the one vein in the front middle of the oven so I could replace it when needed but hopefully that'll be in a few years.

BTW, since I started this build (no real prior masonry experience) I'm hooked on working with brick and stone and very impressed with your skillset, not to mention you get to build stuff with real granite, not just the polished stuff
                    Thank you. Funny how many people say stuff like that when they build with masonry and stone, it can be therapeutic.....especially so if you are doing it for yourself and not for clients.

That appears to be a nice slab...the floor looks dynamite.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hmmmm retro fitting a floor, food for thought.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks Chris,

I'll take you up on both the CM flour and the sourdough starter. I'll PM you to figure out a time to meet up.

John

Comment

My contact info has messaged to you.

Chris

Comment

SCChris,

Which Central Flour do you like for pizza? After a google search I was surprised that the flour is made in Logan, Utah abt an 1 1/2 north of Salt Lake City.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I still using up my last 25Kg bag of Caputo, so I haven't tried the Central Milling flours, but expect that this is where I'll end up..

There are 2 CM Type 00 flours;
                              Organic Type 00 Normal, Pizza Flour 11.2% and Organic Type 00 Reinforced, Pizza Flour 13.5%. It seems to me that there is a bit of a magical cloud with Caputo and I think CM is an option. I'm comfortable that I can trust CM, there Organic Artisan Bakers Craft Blend, is a very nice flour. My bet is that they understand the requirements of WFO Pizza every bit as much as the other flours.

Of course I need to try a side by side and verify but my bet is that the CM pizza flour will be less expensive and every bit as good if not better than Caputo.. I might be wrong but we'll see. James carries the CM flour as well as Caputo so if you're curious order up!

Chris
                              Last edited by SCChris; 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

John,

I'm a first time poster on your thread, but I studied your detailed photos while building my oven over the course of the last year. It really helped me to visualize the arch transition joinery. Thanks for all your many detailed photos.

I have a quick question about your outer arch. Did you mortar the outer arch to the dome arch or is it just a dry joint?

Regards and looking forward to seeing more progress on "Octoforno."

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X