Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OctoForno

Originally posted by Moose4Life View Post
    got though 10 pages of this addicting thread and I didnt even pour my slabs yet, need to go to bed. Think i am 16 hours of research in
    Yeah,
    Chip is right on. I've been lurking here off and on for years and just built my oven this year. Once you're hooked.........
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Hello All,

Glad to be back after all these months considering my company closed its CA offices (laying everyone off) and then I hit a bit of a rough patch with my health which initially landed me in the ER. Feeling much better now, but getting old is really getting old and I'm still in my fifties!

Fortunately, I can report I'm on the homestretch on my oven (and now fully-cured dome ). I have completed the entryway save for the last two leveling courses. The welding of my custom-designed flue (by a family member) got derailed but is now at a commercial fabricator who promised it to me last week and now says hopefully day after tomorrow.

I really struggled with an approach to constructing my flared entry and integrating a 13.5"(h) x 22.5"(w) inner arch with a 12.5"(h) x 26"(w) outer arch. I finally got it figured out and kicked myself for not attacking it sooner because it really wasn't that difficult a job, just time-consuming. All in all, it was a fun part of the project.

Anyway, here's some pics and a profile of my vent. I really wanted the vent architecture to be totally seamless to give the oven exhaust every opportunity to go up rather than out the front of the oven. Hence the trapezoidal shape and an outer arch that is an inch lower than the inner arch. I think it came out okay.

I'll report back when I get my flue installed and hopefully a first fire (really?) video a week later.

John

Comment

Welcome Back! Glad to see your oven progress and that your health is better as well. Hope that things keep going your way.

Texman
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Hey John, good to see you back at it. I had a similar set of circumstances last year (laid off, surgery with long recovery). Pizza oven is just what you need to distract yourself. But that oven might be too purty to light a fire in it.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

WFO therapy is what you need. Glad you're back on your feet. Love that floor, can't wait to see how it performs.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Hi John

That vent landing looks great so not far away now from that fire and PIZZA. I admire your attention to detail it is truly amazing.

Funny your vent landing looks like mine [should I say mine looks like yours ]. Seriously John I want to thank you for your advice and assistance over the last few months. Your knowledge has been invaluable.

I great to have you back.

Good health is yours always.
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I have such an appreciation now for you folks with your perfect builds. It's just fascinating.
                Link to my build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

It's good to hear that you're back and in better shape.

Sincerely

Chris

Comment

Having a great WFO like yours waiting to be finished had to help the healing process. What a beautiful oven, I can't wait to watch you finish.
                    Chris

Link to my photo album:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

John,

Welcome back, and I cannot tell you how great the oven looks, good to hear you are on the mend also. We are all looking forward o your first fire in that beautiful brick dome.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Beautiful work, as always.
                        Last edited by gmchm; 11-04-2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Hi John

Great to see you are back and well after what must have been some trying times.

As usual your work on the oven looks incredible. I think the S curve vent is the way to go and the rounded edge of the arch into the vent should improve the flow. I am sure it will work really well.

I am looking forward to seeing your oven in action. I think you and I both began building back in 2010 – and mine is still not finished either.
                          Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Chip, Tex, Chris, gmchm, Hodgey and Sharkey, - many heartfelt thanks to you all, Gentlemen. It's good to be back in the saddle again.

Stonecutter and Dennis, you couldn't be more spot on when you say WFO-therapy is what is needed. I'm really looking forward to lighting something on fire in my oven.

BTW - Dennis, my wife and I will be in Federal Way the last week of February (daughter's USC swim team at Pac-12 conference meet). Can you recommend a (1) favorite Seattle WFO pizza place (2) good seafood restaurant by the water, please? I promised the wife we'd do that this time.

Colin, glad to be of assistance. That is what this forum is for.

Regarding initial break-in of the dome, any thoughts on a terminal temp for first fire? 350-400F maybe? All thoughts welcome.

John

Comment

The Forno Bravo plans call for 5 consecutive days of firing each day for at least 6 hours.
                              Day 1 300*
                              Day 2 350*
                              Day 3 400*
                              Day 4 450*
                              Day 5 500*
                              Chris

Link to my photo album:
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Pizza: Delancey (delanceyseattle.com) or Bar del Corso (bardelcorso.com) - but if you want to come by my place, just PM me!
                                Seafood: Ray's Boathouse is probably the quintessential Seattle spot (rays.com)
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X