OctoForno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OctoForno

Thanks for the thorough reply John. Due to the smaller size of my oven the sides of my arch will be vertical (more opening area), but I plan to use your technique never the less. I think it will still work, but with just a bit more mental gymnastics.

gene

Comment

Congrats on completing the arch! You are very close to completing the brickwork.

Chris

Comment

Thank you very much for posting so much detail on your arch. I am tackling mine tomorrow and this was most helpful.

Your build is an inspiration
        49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

Well, got a little more done on the dome. I'm about 75% through the 11th course and getting excited because I'm almost there! Here's pics of the dome with the 10th course complete.

I've been using a little technique I learned here with a slight variation. I've been scooping out these little 'D' shaped indents on the side and bottom of each brick since the early courses. They don't take that long to do and I figured they couldn't hurt. Well, now that the courses are starting to go vertical, it's really nice to tap each buttered brick into place and viola! The brick stays put immediately!

John

Comment

Wow your dome looks amazing, those transitions look incredible.. makes mine look so bad now!

Comment

John,
              You're close... Pizza in 2 weeks?

Chris

Comment

Doug,

I got the idea after looking at the inside transition pics of builders making the crazy cuts to merge the converging circular dome walls with the linear inner arch plane. My first question was why not just cut the arch brick to eliminate that gap? That way I could angle the top of the arch brick to accept the next dome course naturally and with a mortar gap consistent with the rest of the dome. Second question was 'will angling the arch bricks make for a weaker, or stronger transition?' I wasn't sure, but I feel that by replacing all the gaps with continuous firebrick the transition is stronger.

When I saw you had done the same thing I knew I wasn't totally crazy and wondered where you got the same idea?

My guess is the exhaust flow out of the oven may be slightly smoother this way, but I'm sure the oven won't operate any differently and the food inside certainly doesn't care!

Chris, no way I can get the dome finished and the entryway completed in two weeks! I'm still finalizing the flared hemi-entrance design in my mind. But it is getting closer!

John
                Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Well, I was about to say: Oz - 2, Yanks - 1, but I forgot about Gene (ggoose) in Spokane WA. He's made a real first-rate mockup on Post #22 here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/28...tml#post114621

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    Doug,
                    I got the idea after looking at the inside transition pics of builders making the crazy cuts to merge the converging circular dome walls with the linear inner arch plane.
                    HEY, I resemble that remark! I thought my hand looked familiar.

I actually ended up not mortaring those silly triangular pieces in after someone talked some sense in to me (dmun or Les perhaps?). They said little pieces like that may end up chipping off anyway.

Your method, John of angling the inside of the arch to accept the ring-rows is probably the new standard. Is your dome still open or do you still have a few more rings and the 'cork' to do?

Good job with your cuts, you've got a nice tight dome.

-Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I have a question as to the orientation of your little moon cuts. One side appears to be vertical and the other a shallow scallop. Which side faces down whwn you place the brick?

The arch design is great I am glad I found these posts before I start cutting brick in a couple of weeks.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Dino,

Please excuse me for using the 'all-too-familar' transition pics! BTW - Have I ever told you you have a great-looking hand? It's just that the triangles kind of emphasized the construction challenges inherent in the FB plans. Hope you don't mind.

The dome has half of the 11th course to go and then two more and then the plug. There are 13" spanning the remaining open space. I'm getting antsy to get it closed up and start work on the entryway arch(es).

Any advice you can share on building the entry and flue gallery will be humbly accepted.

John

Comment

Chip,

The vertical indents go down directly on top of the course below. I make the same shallow indents on the bottom course of bricks - only they are perpendicular to the vertical indents that go on top of them. In fact, the bottom course indents are two complete circles I grind once the prior course is set.

The 'D-shaped' scallops go on the sides of the bricks. For a brick that I've just mortared in, the exposed side has the D scallops with the the flat side closer to the front of the oven. This way, when I press the next brick into place, the flat side of the scallop acts as a 'stop' for the mortar attached to the new brick. The new brick has a set of scallops in the opposite direction - the flat side is closer to the exterior of the oven. This way when I press the brick into place the rearward flat side acts as a stop.

I know that may sound confusing, and if it does let me know and I can draw it out so it makes sense more easily. All I know is that once I tap the buttered brick into place I can let go immediately and the (vertical) brick is firmly glued to it's adjoining brick.

John

Comment

It looks like your giving a "school" on dome building. gmchm

Comment

John

I have been watching and admiring your build for a long time, you really set a forum standard.

I read that you used ins block 19 underneath your floor. My build will be a while to completion and i was wondering how the insulation will hold up to the weather, mostly getting wet from the rain. Will it breakdown after wetting than drying?

Thanks,

Gregg

Comment

Thanks, Garch. My insulation does get wet from time to time whenever I forget to cover the oven with a tarp. It always dries out though. There is a slight indentation in the exposed part of the Insblock where it has abraded, but that is from my shoes stepping on it, not water. (I'm too lazy at this point to cover it with plywood). I figure this section will get covered with ceramic blanket anyway.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X