3G_'s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G_'s Build

All the rebars are bent down and go down 500mm. I have to notch the blocks out further to get more coverage at the bottom. My little 5 inch grinder needs a new blade. I will add another bar top and bottom and that will hopefully do it.

Comment

HI 3G,

There was abloke in Friday's Advertiser selling a pallet load of fire bricks. Didn't think to ring him as I'm still a long way from starting. He was in Athelston.

Anyway, if you can get a copy of Fridays paper, he may still have them.

Himzo.
      Last edited by Himzo; 09-21-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Himzo. Called but all sold. Time for another APA!!

Comment

Called but all sold.Time for another APA!!
          Bummer, Oh well enjoy the APA.

Himzo.

Comment

Slab is now poured and im agoing to pour the vermiculite layer tomorrow. Is it nessecary to pour the whole slab or can i make a round orm and just pou the are that the walls, floor and opening will cover. I have two 100 litre bags to use but can easily buy another if needed.

Comment

Some progress shots, most of the timber was reclaimed from the garden where the wood oven now stands.

Comment

I would pour a couple inches past where your dome will be... You can just pour the round part if you want, I poured a square that was built into the slab, as seen below Hope this helps

Mark
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks
                  Has anyone used Brighton light cement in their HB mortar. I would like the lighter colour it gives with the fire brick instead of the dark grey from Portland. I assume it will work fine.

Comment

Updates photos. Picking up the firebricks tomorrow, $3.30 each is the best i can get them for.

Comment

hey 3 g..

You guys down under need to see if you can get a group together to buy a container of firebrick,, Here about 1 us dollar each, Im sure if you could get enough guys it might be worth it...
                      Its a shame you have to pay that much
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Yeah, especially with the dollar as it is ATM. I want to start tomorrow but i should have started a bulk buy a while ago. Its only money!!

Comment

you should start one anyhow,, If you open your own firebrick supply you might make a few bucks,,, you can get 2nds,, for like 50 cents each, Have no idea what it would cost to ship,, Hindsight is always so much better..

Good luck with your build
                          Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

I have decided to lay the first course on top of the base, i doubt ill ever need to replace the floor. Do i need to mortar the first course down or does this just sit on the floor?

Comment

I have decided to lay the first course on top of the base, i doubt ill ever need to replace the floor.
                              I doubt it too,,, Are you talking about the soldier course ? If so I used a slight amount of mortar under it, Had I read more before I got to that point I would not have bothered, As long as you mortat them together well they should be fine, and having no mortar underneath them allows them to move with expansion thus alleviating some more possible cracks...
                              Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

I have put the base down and put in three courses.
                                The base was easy, i didnt need to use sand and fireclay, the vermiculite layer had a mm or 2 or give if i tapped the tiles with a mallet.
                                My diamond blade hasnt arrived yet so i have been using a bolster to halve the bricks, this has been fine but i want to start tapering in the vertical sides on the next course.
                                Im going o go for a half round entrance, 19" wide and 12 high.

Comment

Working...
                                X