3G_'s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G_'s Build

No pointing of the stone, just a little mortar on the inside to hold it together. I still may not use it. Not sure what to do the outer arch and flue area in if i go the bookleaf bluestone.
    Good luck with your arch transition, by far the hardest part of the build!!!

I spent a solid 9 hours on the oven yesterday in the 37 degree heat, man am i cooked.
    It looks like i will need two more full ring but this will leave no room for the plug. Should i reduce the last two rings (cut the brick down maybe 15 or 20 mm) so i can get the plug in ?
    Last edited by 3G_; 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

you could put in one full ring and cast the plug in place with your heat stop....

Looks good
      Mark

Comment

3G - it looks like if you did one more ring, you could make the plug using full length brick. Hard to tell from the pic's.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les, i was thinking after the next ring to offer up a full brick or even two bricks side by side and see if can make the plug from two halves.
          Ill finish the next ring then look at it.
          I should clean the bricks with some acid to remove the mortar stains before closing the dome in.

Comment

It is an order of magnitude more difficult to clean the inside after you can no longer clean it by reaching your arm in. You look like you may be beyond that point, but pictures can be deceiving. If you have to crawl inside, I wouldn't even consider acid without serious environmental protection equipment.
            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Im pretty thin with long arms and i can just get to all of the dome from the outside.
              I drew up the front arch today and went to a few local quarries . I have decided that I am going to use Carey Gully sandstone for the front arch area.
              To finish the outer dome I am going to use bookleaf sandstone (decided against the bluestone).

Comment

Ive been busy, working thru the heatwave and finally got the last brick in place. Im happy with it all, 42" wide and 20" high. I managed to stagger the joints well and keep the mortar joints nice and tight.

Comment

Hi 3G,

Good to see the dome finished, your a braver man than I for working through that hot stuff.

Himzo.

Comment

I need to get this oven cured. This is my plan, is it ok?
                    Insulate with three layers of blanket then use a gas burner to cure.
                    I dont want to leave the gas burner going unattended but will be home for 2 days in a row. Can i just bring the dome to 200 celcius for a while until steam stops coming out then ramp it up maybe 50 degrees for a few hours at each interval. I have got a 3 ring burner that i use for brewing, i like the sound of the control of gas for the curing stage.
                    Cheers, i can almost taste the pizza.

Comment

hi 3.
                      has the dome cured at all by itself ? I know your anxious,, But this is not a good time to rush..... although, I think the worst thing would be a few cracks.... which are almost inevitable... How long do you plan on curing ?? maybe a lower startup temp more like 100 and ramp up slower...

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                        hi 3.
                        has the dome cured at all by itself ? I know your anxious,, But this is not a good time to rush..... although, I think the worst thing would be a few cracks.... which are almost inevitable... How long do you plan on curing ?? maybe a lower startup temp more like 100 and ramp up slower...

Cheers
                        Mark
                        Yeah Gregg,

Don't rush it.. You don't want to undo all your hard work by being inpatient now.
                        I like the sound of using gas though...

Himzo.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          Maybe a schedule like 100 degrees celcius for 24 hours then 150 for 12 then 200 for 12 hours, all the way to maybe 350 or as hot as the gass gets it. Then maybe slowly build up with wood..

Comment

Originally posted by 3G_ View Post
                            Thanks guys.
                            Maybe a schedule like 100 degrees celcius for 24 hours then 150 for 12 then 200 for 12 hours, all the way to maybe 350 or as hot as the gass gets it. Then maybe slowly build up with wood..
                            I still plan on doing the curing process I read in a post a few months ago. Someone recommended using an electric heater or something where you can control the temperature to stay at 200 degrees F. This temperature should be maintained until the exterior of the dome is the same 200 degrees F temperature as the interior surface of the dome. This will ensure none of the water/moisture that is in the masonry is ever brought to boiling temperatures. When the water temperature exceeds boiling it turns into steam. The steam expands exponentially and very rapidly which can be a contributor to cracks in the bricks and/or mortar joints. I'm only on the 8th course of my oven but plan on using this curing philosophy next spring when I plug this thing up. I still have trouble believing that the cracks are unavoidable...time will tell.

Great workmanship on your dome! Enjoy your cooking!

Regards,
                            Bob
                            My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Great brick work with nice joints. Good luck on the curing.
                              Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Thanks Millstoneman.

I have got a 500watt lamp in the dome now, with a plastic sheet to cover the dome to keep the rain off. Probably about 50 or 60 degrees centigrade inside. Ill leave it at that for a few days then start ramping it up with a gas burner.

Comment

Working...
                                X