3G_'s Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G_'s Build

Looks like your doing great so far,,, Love the clamp...

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Another update. I have started tapering the bricks to hopfully remove big v shaped mortar joints. im using the bolster to split the bricks in half then cutting a slight angle on the brick.

Comment

Seems to be going quite well

Comment

Hi Greg,

Looking great. dam I wish I could start mine.

So do you think it will be finished and be able to be fired up at the case swap? I ask because if the answer is yes, I may be able to convince the other half to make up some home made lasagna to see how it goes, also have a whole lot of potatoes which may be usefull.

I have trout as well, though with the weather warming up they may not get through until then.

Himzo.

Comment

Hi Himzo
            Im trying my hardest to get it ready. Thanks for the offer for the case swap, feel free to drop by and check out the build some time.
            Gregg

Comment

Hi Greg

Looking great!! You seem to be laying those bricks at a hefty speed!!

Keep up the good work

John
              John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Thanks
                I pulled the arch down yesterday. Im going to move it back into the dome abpou an inch to make the transition easier and stronger.
                Will post some pics tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by 3G_ View Post
                  Hi Himzo
                  Im trying my hardest to get it ready. Thanks for the offer for the case swap, feel free to drop by and check out the build some time.
                  Gregg
                  Hi Gregg,

I keep meaning to, but at the moment it's a bit hard. As you know I live at Crafers and with the bushfire season fast aproaching I'm trying to get the undergrowth under control. I swear it grows faster than I can cut it.

I have to go to Darwin this week so next weekend I'm planning as a fairly relaxed one, I may be able to sneak away from the weeds then..

Himzo.

Comment

Managed to get a few more hours in on the oven.

Comment

3g,,,
                      Looking good.....

Cheers Mark

Comment

I am now starting to look at external materials to finish the oven.
                        Do any engineers think the dome will be able to hold the weight of bookleaf blue stone? I have got a picture below of some local sculpture in Adelaide. I would use Kanmantoo bluestone. The stone is between 20 and 50mm thick and i would like to get it so its only 100 to 150 mm deep. I would use a little black mortar on the inside to keep it all together.

One of the other ideas is to use sawn sandstone for the outer arch and flue area, would this hold up to the heat?
                        Cheers
                        Last edited by 3G_; 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: uploaded photo

Comment

"Do any engineers think the dome will be able to hold the weight of bookleaf blue stone?"

No problem, particularly if you provide a "tension ring" of some sort. A normal pizza oven dome does not produce a significant lateral or spreading load under only its own weight and that of the insulation. Usually the gravity and the friction between the bricks is more than enough to hold it together.

If you are going to add a significant dead weight, say more than 150 lbs or more, I would build some sort of tension ring.

On my oven I built a concrete band reinforced by 6 inch WWF (welded wire fabric =rebar mesh). This band is outside of the 4 inch vermiculete layer, is 2 inches thick and extends up 12 inches from the structural slab to about 2 inches above the level of the soldier course. The WWF is tied into the reinforcing around the door opening thus forming a continuous band "holding" the dome from spreading.
                          Last edited by Neil2; 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Hey 3,
                            I can neither deny or confirm what neil says, But It seems to make a lot of sense... and that bluestone is gonna be a beautiful finish,,

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Thanks neil2,
                              I would really love to use the bookleaf bluestone. Am i correct that a steel reinforced band of concrete around the bottom few courses of bluestone would be what i need?
                              I will contact the quarry and try and get some approx weight. I did some early calculations and i got around 1000 kilo but that was a while ago so i could be mistaken.

regards

Comment

The Bluestone would look great. Would you need to point it to finish it off or just glue it in place?
                                John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Working...
                                X