John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Full, with all but the floor, the soldiers and the entry arch cut in half (or smaller).
    Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Our firebricks 'down under' measure 230 x 115 x 75 mm. That equates to 9 x 4.5 x 3 inches in the imperial scale.

John, I forgot to mention that in addition to the 185 straight bricks I also bought 16 tapered bricks for the arch and vent. The taper is moderate... 75mm on one side, 63mm on the other.
      Whatever you do, do it with a glass of red.

Comment

Hi John, i bought 180 for 42". I will use most, i have a dozen or so lft and i course and the plug to go. I used tapered for the arch(additional).

Comment

John,

I am not much help with the number of bricks as I am still in the process of building but if it is any help, so far my build has taken me 27 beers to get to 4courses of bricks above the soilder, although this also includes the slabs and the block work. I estimate that it will take me at least another 24 beers and maybe even more if this hot weather stays (today was a 4 beer day ie 39deg C!)

Maybe it's best to get 2 cases of beer just in case

Paul
          Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
          (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
            John,

I am not much help with the number of bricks as I am still in the process of building but if it is any help, so far my build has taken me 27 beers to get to 4courses of bricks above the soilder, although this also includes the slabs and the block work. I estimate that it will take me at least another 24 beers and maybe even more if this hot weather stays (today was a 4 beer day ie 39deg C!)

Paul
            Boy am I glad I read this post, I was planning to lay my suspended this coming weekend and I have just realised that I had way under ordered my beer supplies. As usual the Frono Bravo Forum proves invaluable.

Comment

Does anybody have any information as to whether I need to support my suspended slab from underneath with a post or something similar? I am pouring a slab that is supported by brickwork right round expect for a door opening which is a metre wide. The slab will be 2.2 metres by 1.9 metres. I will make the slab 4" inches thick and am prepared to use as much steel mesh and re-bar as necessary.

Comment

Mr G..

I put a block wall about half way thru the slab, Im not sure that it was really necessary, But it made me feel better..

Cheers
                Mark
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

When I build another one, I plan to divide the wood storage area into two the way I did with this one, but I'm not going to bother with the angle iron and the one row of block across the top of the openings, letting the concrete slab do the work. With enough rebar, I'm sure it will work fine.
                  Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

mr g
                    you should not need anything in the centre as the weight of the dome is supported around the perimeter walls. There is very little weight in the centre and if you need to, you could always weld plates on the ends of a piece of pipe, hammer it into position and secure with a couple of dynabolts.
                    When poring your slab, double the F62 mesh for that extra strength, one top in concrete and the other nearer the bottom.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

can someone please remove me from this thread...I keep receiving email but am not involved in this discussion

thanks
                      bigred

Comment

sorry I was just able to unsubscribe myself......

thanks anyway and good cooking to all
                        BIGRED

Comment

Originally posted by mr g View Post
                          Does anybody have any information as to whether I need to support my suspended slab from underneath with a post or something similar? I am pouring a slab that is supported by brickwork right round expect for a door opening which is a metre wide. The slab will be 2.2 metres by 1.9 metres. I will make the slab 4" inches thick and am prepared to use as much steel mesh and re-bar as necessary.
                          Hi Mr G

I over engineered mine with 2 angle lintels. But at the end of the day it depends how comfortable you are with such a large span. You will definetly need a support under it untill your hearth slab sets.

cheers
                          Last edited by John K; 11-24-2009, 04:28 AM.
                          John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                            Hi John,
                            What size firebrick are you using "down Under" I used a few over 200 pieces for my total build. american size 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch... 42 inch oven

Cheers
                            Mark
                            Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
                            Our firebricks 'down under' measure 230 x 115 x 75 mm. That equates to 9 x 4.5 x 3 inches in the imperial scale.
                            Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
                            John,

Paul
                            Hi Guys

I have been very busy of late and just read through all the posts!!

There are some very interesting things listed and am shocked to think that my beer consumption has been nowhere in the vicinity of Paul?s!!! (hope it's premium imported beer)!!

I have just finished link 4 and only have 20 Full bricks left of the initial 175. So by the sounds of things I need to estimate around the 200 bricks to close the dome off (I am building the chimney vent from solid face bricks)

Michael is correct that the aussie bricks are 230x115x75.

Just in case any one needs materials the supplier Field Furnace is open over Christmas and New Year (except public holidays)

Cheers
                            John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Started on a new ring today and have also cut out the rebate on the arch bricks using my little 4inch grinder.
                              John

Comment

And some more pics
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X