Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Can you get the oven "grandfathered" to use wood or coal? It's worth checking with the local authorities.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by fornax hominus View Post
      After 2 years of use I finally got a roof , and before I installed it cutting off access to the dome forever , I cut through the mortared dome to install a vent . when I opened it .. no moisture , but the vermiculite had settled and I was able to pour in and spread about 1 1/2 cu.ft .
      I'm still working on the adjacent work surface .. you need lots of room to lay out loaves of bread , flour shakers, water sprayers, and your peel .
      I am next going to install a water bottle cage from a bicycle to hold my bottle of beer.. too many knocked over by enthusiastic/clumsy cooks!
      tim
      My roof is finally over the oven. Hate to cover up that beautiful dome so when I do the siding I am think of putting .25" clear plex arround the front , if it looks wierd i'll replace it with with the other siding , pictures to come soon.

Comment

I'm still in the planning stages and trying to determine the right size for my needs. I've had a look at some 1mtr (approx 40in) kit ovens to gauge their size and they look HUGE inside. I'm considering maybe downsizing to about 90cm (36in). My main reasons is to save on the amount of wood i would need to fuel it, and i think this size will still be large enough to cater for entertaining and family get together/parties etc. Anybody out there who regrets building too large an oven or vice versa ??
        Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Comment

There are several schools of thought on oven size, but most factors can be summarized here:

1. The majority of 36" oven owners say they have no problems with the size of their oven and wouldn't go bigger if they built a second oven.

2. An empty oven always looks bigger. Imagine the cooking space available with a fire/coals inside and you'll find approximately 50% of available space is usable.

3. If you plan to cook for a large crowd all at once, you will appreciate the space of a larger oven, especially the sweet spot it provides.

4. It is thought that a 39" (1m) oven will require the same amount of wood to heat up as a 42" oven.

5. If you are really unable to decide, build the larger oven. One can't enlarge one's oven if it turns out to be smaller than optimum.

6. If your cooking acumen calls for multiple days of cooking relying on residual heat, consider designing thermal breaks into your oven in addition to ample insulation.

John

Comment

Thanks for your thought John.

Regards,
            Bruno
            Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Comment

I have not yet finished my oven. However, if I was able to do it all again, I'd buy a FB Andiamo 70 and be very happy.

Comment

Great thread - I've laid the slab for my 2nd oven build (moved house) and will use this thread for ideas.
                Main change for me will be adding underfloor insulation and maybe a spot underneath for a small bar fridge. To keep ingredients and drinks.cool over a long pizza session

Will again include an ash shute for sweeping out coals.
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

After a winter of short days I wish I had put a electrical outlet on the oven to attach a light for oven viewing in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                    I have not yet finished my oven. However, if I was able to do it all again, I'd buy a FB Andiamo 70 and be very happy.
                    I think I might be +1 on this comment. I am enjoying the process of building the oven, but it is taking up all my free time. I had no idea how slow I am as a mason!
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

My oven took all my free time and a lot that wasn't . counting all the time digging sand for mortar pulling stones out of the stone piles etc. It worked out to 1 inch of oven per day . I started july1 and finished Oct 9..with no roof !

Comment

I am enjoying the process of building the oven, but it is taking up all my free time. I had no idea how slow I am as a mason!
                        I resemble this remark! There is a big difference in how one looks at one's oven when it was built from the ground up with one's own hands and sweat. Kinda like the difference between a hand-made artisan loaf of bread vs a loaf you buy from the supermarket.

Since designing, building and problem-solving your oven is not a race, why not take the care and time to do it your way?

Comment

Unfortunately, when I started the Andiamo wasn't available. This oven building thing is going very slow. There are the weekends you just need to take some time out to do other stuff, or you find you need some bit you have to wait until you travel to the city (130 miles) to get it.I also find my mediocre masonry skills mean that some bricks get laid more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by brung99 View Post
                            I'm still in the planning stages and trying to determine the right size for my needs. I've had a look at some 1mtr (approx 40in) kit ovens to gauge their size and they look HUGE inside. I'm considering maybe downsizing to about 90cm (36in). My main reasons is to save on the amount of wood i would need to fuel it, and i think this size will still be large enough to cater for entertaining and family get together/parties etc. Anybody out there who regrets building too large an oven or vice versa ??
                            I have a 42' oven and its great but since building it my boys have move on and If were to build again would even consider going down to 30" why? a number of reasons
                            A 30 inch should still cook 2 pizza at a time trust me a 42' can handle 3 to 4 x 12" in pizza at a time but I can't ...its too quik you sure to burn one. The time is in the pizza making not the cooking.
                            Unless I cooking a small pig/lamb the 42' ovens overkill sometime 30" should give you a high enough wide enough entrance to handle a really big baking dish anyway.
                            Anyway I'd never pull my oven down to build smaller however. the fornos the best design remember what ever you do..... insulate well as you can

Regards Dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                              If were to build again would even consider going down to 30"
                              And here I am wondering whether my 30 inch will be big enough
                              Well strictly speaking, 750mm calculates as 29.5 inches.

Comment

Gudday Mick
                                Trust me..... anything over 6 ins is a bonus

Regards Dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X