Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcg31
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Couldn't find a way to alter posted pics so here is a new post to correct one of the illustrations in the plan. In the upper left of previous offering the illustration made it look like you were welding the clamp to the main brick support. The clamp is inserted into a slide that is made up of four small stacked pieces of trimmed steel, welded in place (two on each side) .

Jim

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Pretty sweet little toy.

Kind of kills the mystery and magic of trying to make those bricks stick where they have no right to. I'm betting a lot of builders will like this one.
    George

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    started a topic My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Another spin on a brick guide. This one uses a slide on the back of the main support to include a clamp that holds the brick in place and keeps the center point for the arch at the center of the brick. It also comes with attachments, one for a carpenters pencil (when used as a compass). I used this to mark the cuts for the floor and the inside bricks of the arch to conform to the curve of the dome (see pics). Another attachment holds a series of platforms for the more vertical courses, although I have not used those yet. A very simple one (two 3/8 nuts welded perpendicular to one another) holds a sharpee marker, also for marking cuts (pencil gets blown away by wet saw).

I can't imagine how I would have taken on this project without this device, particularly the clamp. It positions the brick and holds it in place until the mortar sets enough to move on to the next (no shims needed). I am using refrax/refmix and my experience has been so far (now on 9th course) that by the time I clean up, pick the next brick out of the bucket (water), I can release the last and place the new. As I said, I thought I would be using the platforms by now, but the refrax has been holding quick and solid.

A side benefit is that this has provided me with the opportunity to rationalize my arc welder purchase to my wife, an item which had been sitting idle for the past couple years ($99 HFTools).

I have included plans among the jpegs attached.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 08-03-2014, 10:55 AM.
Working...
X