Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcg31
    replied
    Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Luis,

You are absolutely right, each to his/her own, but if you will allow me I think you missed the real point to the tool. It is for the unskilled (like me).

The foam frame requires nearly as much masonary skills as going without frame or guide. It still requires one to place the brick in the correct position, the face perfectly positioned to center, at the correct slope, the placement, removal and filling of shims, working around the foam to clean the brick after placement, etc. And to repeat all that in consistent fashion some 285 times.

The tool I created (a derivative work from those who came before me) makes the process near idiot proof. You really have to try to make a mistake (on the dome, the arch and tie in are entirely different animals, although the compass attachment helps mightily with that as well). And brick cleanup is easy with nothing pressing against the brick and in the way of a brush or sponge.

As far as cost it looks like you would have used 2 4'x8'x1" boards. In my neck of the woods that would have cost $17. I recently created a guide for a fellow FornoBravoer and the materials cost was $18.25. The one I created for myself was less than that because I had a good amount of the materials on hand. Of course access to a welder is needed. So to that issue, for those who might be interested in using the guide, I am hoping to have a few of these created by the end of February that can then pass from one FBer to another returning home only occassionally for maintenance.

All that said. Your photos look great! Congratulations on a great start, base on the uniformity in your soldier course you have the skills I lack.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arevalo53anos
    replied

This forum is great just because all kind of thinking could be exposed here and anyone reading it could take the ideas that best fit with her/his desires.
    Great work in this last tool jcg31!
    However, I still think that the use of two sheet of stylofoam or expanded polyestirene shaped as semi-circumferences give to the oven owner an easy and cheap way to go.
    And these stylofoam could be shaped lower than semi circumference, as way to obtain a Neapolitan style dome, too.

Luis

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

...not that you need to fear comparison, from what I can see...

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

The really nice thing about having visitors over for pizza, is that they don't know this site. They have nothing to compare your oven with. And lets face it, every oven on this site, conisidered by its own merits, is pretty darn impressive!

Just don't tell them where you got your oven plans from, and you'll be safe...

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

With the Thanksgiving Holiday activities, I missed this thread. I did see your guide but didn't pay attention to how you used it for the archway. Even if I did see it I probably wouldn't have appreciated its usefulness in building the arch into the curved dome.
    Even now being done with 5 rows, I'm scratching my b... with tieing each row into the arch. When I'm done (???) I think I'll keep a fire burning when we have visitors so they won't look at my transition. I would hate to have it compared to this
    Great work and innovation

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Thanks Christo,

The tool absolutely accounts for the symmetry, It simply won't allow you to mess that up. The other big component is cutting the brick angles and bevels -- I made plenty of mistakes in that arena, particularly the bevels. Finally after about course 5, I made a small modification to my HFTools wet saw ( poured and let set mortar in the cutting trough and then ran the blade through it so I could then quickly identify the precise position of the cutting edge regardless of the width of the brick (in case of odd width partials)) and created a jig that for the most part put that aspect on autopilot as well. Consistancy with mixing and applying mortar to the vertical sides of bricks was the only area I never arrived at a meaningful crutch for myself (I have one for horizontal).

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 11-29-2007, 04:37 PM. Reason: clarification saw mod

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

looking really nice!

I can't believe it's just the tool that is providing the beautiful results.....

You are quite a craftsman.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

That is one good looking dome! WOW.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Thanks all!
    As Ken suggest, I have never layed or cut a brick before this project, everything I have learned has come from you folk. Jim has built a wonderfully supportive community here, once snagged you feel compelled to contribute. Actually the only reason I found FB is that my wife wouldn't let me cut the oven cleaning safety latch to get a better crust (as discussed on another site). So back on the web for alternatives, the resultant adventure and expense is entirely her fault - - the most enjoyable project I have ever undertaken. Again, thanks to all.

I mentioned above that I had not used the platform attachment, well that ended on course 13 with the lack of space for the clamp, even without the clamp attached, the guide was a bit clumbsy so I went with the platform (See attached jpegs). Simply a 3/8" nut center-welded to a 2x2.5" piece of steel with three screw holes to mount to 1/4" plywood circle. The 1-1/8" holes in the plywood are to make it easy to turn to adjust height from above and reach the wingnut below to lock in place (The locking part was a bit overengineered, with the first brick placed it isn't going anywhere).

Made great progress this weekend, today (I took day off) is keystone day!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• oventhusiast
    replied

Great job Jim!
    This post should be a 'sticky' in the 'Pompeii oven building' section or maybe a new thread like 'oven building tools' or 'optional tools' or something like that. (James?, Whattayathink?)
    Rick

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Agreed! I sure needed that during my build..........
    And I thought I was smart.......
    What's really cool, is that every "generation" of oven built gets to use the knowledge of the previous generations posted on this board.

If you go back to earlier ovens posted here, you can really see an evolution taking place in the design and construction.

It's fascinating to watch ideas continually getting reworked and improved upon.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Oh man, is that ever a cool gadget! I love how you scribed the curves on the bricks for the entry. Nice work.
    Agreed! I sure needed that during my build..........

And I thought I was smart.......

Very nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Oh man, is that ever a cool gadget! I love how you scribed the curves on the bricks for the entry. Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Acoma,
    The pivot is secured to the small plywood base. That base is wedged and held in place on three sides with three other pieces of plywood and marked on center (see red on attachment). Now up to course 11 and movement hasn't been an issue.

I am hoping to use it on a second oven for my son, but if you are interested and will handle material and shipping costs, I would be happy to throw one together for you.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Excellent work Jim. Agreed, it speeds up the dome work, allowing you to focus on spread and placement. As for the pivot post on dome floor, below the plywood, how are you securing? Are you drilling through a brick? Would you then replace the brick upon completion or fill? I can see that you can modify a few ways into personal preferences, this being a good one indeed. What are you to do with yours once done? I'll use it
    Last edited by Acoma; 01-16-2008, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X